Author Topic: Ideas (recipes) for conserving tomatoes please  (Read 2431 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Ideas (recipes) for conserving tomatoes please
« on: September 24, 2007, 16:03:11 »
I have a glut of tomatoes despite a severe blight attack. :D I made a batch of oven dried tomatoes (didn't know they take so long to dry...) and still have many more.
I do not want to freeze because I don't have a big freezer... I'd like to make something that keeps for at least a few months. :) Any ideas? ???

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Ideas (recipes) for conserving tomatoes please
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 16:31:26 »
passata is easy
takes a little while to prepare (peel) and cook down, but i basically just fill it into hot sterile glasses and seal with proper lid, much like when doing jam. i dont bother boiling the glasses afterwards as some recipes suggest. i have only ever had one glass go off on me (check them about a week after preparation) and they last until you want to use them for sauce in the winter time.

Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 14:45:29 »
Thank you both! Chutney and passata sound good. I'll be busy next few days cooking and bottling... ;D

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 21:52:04 »
Have you tried making up ready made pasta sauce?  It takes up much less room in the freezer.  Just cook down the tomatoes with garlic and herbs (which keep their fresh flavour)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 22:17:44 »
I have been making batch after batch of pasta sauce and freezing it in single portions. Perfect for a meal after a long day a work and for permanently hungry teenagers. It is a wonderful taste of summer in the middle of winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal