Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872981 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6160 on: July 18, 2012, 14:00:24 »
After a 'phoe call to the Allotments team at the council, which reassured me that I could help myself to the gravel deposited on the lane  to make paths, I hastened to get barrowing.  One old chap demonstrated the best way to fill the barrow, with all the weight at the front (and he was right!).  Then two more chaps came along, one with his own barrow, and proceeded to take over the job for a while.  My plot is the furthest away it could be, but they carried on valiantly.  How nice it is when people help each other!  I was able to lend my mattock to another chap who was taking down his fence to rebuild.  The sun brings out the best in people!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6161 on: July 18, 2012, 15:19:14 »
What sun?  However, there was a quick lull about an hour ago (pouring down again now) and I harvested a couple of pounds of gooseberries.  Now topped and tailed and in the freezer.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #6162 on: July 18, 2012, 19:50:33 »
Typical had a day of work and its rained all day, did just get out with the dog for an hour and picked 4 1/2 lbs of runner beans, so not all bad...

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6163 on: July 19, 2012, 00:15:02 »
A slug and snail hunt!

I've just been down to the greenhouses and gathered some pals, not.

No salt or wellie booting, just launched with a bowling arm.

Ninny

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6164 on: July 19, 2012, 01:01:14 »
Omg ninny were they all in the greenhouse? I saw a large one in mine yesterday and fed it some pellets and was surprised to see it actually eat them. It's still there along with a few of his mates :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6165 on: July 19, 2012, 07:56:51 »
If it didn't eat them... they wouldn't work! Depends on the type as to how bad it feels today!  :-X

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6166 on: July 20, 2012, 01:01:46 »
Typical had a day of work and its rained all day, did just get out with the dog for an hour and picked 4 1/2 lbs of runner beans, so not all bad...

You must have had a better summer up there in Oxford than we've had down here..

....................."picked runner beans" already?
                                                                                      Lucky devil!!!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6167 on: July 20, 2012, 06:39:26 »
If it didn't eat them... they wouldn't work! Depends on the type as to how bad it feels today!  :-X

???
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #6168 on: July 20, 2012, 20:19:23 »

[/quote]

You must have had a better summer up there in Oxford than we've had down here..

....................."picked runner beans" already?
                                                                                      Lucky devil!!!
[/quote]

I did put them in very early as they were seed i had forgot about that i found again and was not sure if they would grow but every one did and i put extra in for those that would of failed but didn't...... so i have a double row 6metres long and most canes have 2 plants...... but they are my favorite veg...

harrys dad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6169 on: July 20, 2012, 20:40:25 »
Could not get onto our patch today as some toerags set fire to derelict social club that stands next to our allotments. The building is unsafe. Hope we can get in by the weekend.  >:(
Mick.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6170 on: July 21, 2012, 00:37:03 »
A slug and snail hunt!

I've just been down to the greenhouses and gathered some pals, not.

No salt or wellie booting, just launched with a bowling arm.

Ninny

Goodness that's a lot!  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6171 on: July 21, 2012, 00:57:36 »
I watered the hanging baskets (some are partly under cover), opened, watered and closed the greenhouse.

Not the most exciting day until......... :o

Spotted a large white van parked at the end of my neighbours garden (he's away for a week or two) so wandered (as you do) quite speedily to see what was going on.

"It's alright mate, we're just clearing up the scrap metal." 8)

I told the bloke he couldn't take anything else as my neighbour wasn't in (although it would have been lovely to see the neighbour's junk cleared) and no they couldn't go along the rest of the lane to clear it unless they went round the front of each house and asked first. And... no I didn't want them to move the bike at the back of my garage or even think about my aluminium greenhouse staging inside the fence....which they seemed between them to be eyeing up.

The police said I did the right thing letting them know but I could ring 999 if I see a crime taking place.  ::) I explained that I didn't think the "scarp man" and his two brawny helpers would have waited until Monday afternoon for the police to arrive without clearing every garden first and sauntering off.

As it was the van sped backwards at light speed - not at all helpful.  >:( I had been given the "scrap man's" mobile number... very kind but I wanted the van reg too. Got it.   :) So have the police.

They left, their tyres throwing up gravel all over the place and didn't get as far as taking the four aluminium wheels sitting next to the garage further along the lane... but I think they would have done if I hadn't wandered out.  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6172 on: July 21, 2012, 22:24:09 »
Spud digging.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6173 on: July 21, 2012, 23:36:08 »
Put up flags, courtesy of The Oval ODI game, they just kept giving them away so saved mine and our pals ones.
Tied in more of the grapevine, it is a triphid! I've already taken most of the vines back to two leaves after a bunch and it just keep on going. The support is leaning backwards under the weight of the foliage  ::)

Ishikuri bunching onions are have thrown up more seed heads and the bees are just loving them, not too much around for them at the moment so hoping they will do the business with my Scarlet Emperor beans, as they are starting to flower at the bottom. Very slow to climb this year though.

Spotted first tassles on the sweetcorn (still saved Ambrosia seed, Jeannine).

Cut down potato haulms, and took off more tomato leaves. Pictures taken before this was done.

Picked first courgettes and really the last of the artichokes.

Yesterday all onions lifted and in the greenhouse for drying.

More seed saving in the garden, Sweet William, Foxgloves, Shoo Fly plant, Pinks, Wallflowers and Delphiniums also drying off in the greenhouse.

Ninny

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6174 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06:06 »
worked like a navvy. Dug up all red and brown onions and dried them off. They are now filling a blue Ikea bag in my hallway.
Dug over the old onion and tomato (wwaaaaiiillllll) beds, stuckdown a bit of AlgoFlash fertiliser pellets and re-sowed beets, carrots, lettuce, French and shelling beans, mizuna, planted out my leeks and transplanted out the cabbages and Brussel sprouts. Treated myself to the 3 strawberries that were ripe  ;D
Today I admit that walking is quite painful!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6175 on: July 23, 2012, 18:28:03 »
Sighed at all the grass growing on my wood chip paths.....then cheered up by harvesting some huge spring onions and my first potatoes, came home and had potato salad....yum! 8) ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6176 on: July 24, 2012, 00:48:07 »
Sighed at all the grass growing on my wood chip paths.....then cheered up by harvesting some huge spring onions and my first potatoes, came home and had potato salad....yum! 8) ;D

Bringing something home is always worth cheering up for.  :)  picked our first runner beans - just a handful but a taste for four of us.  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6177 on: July 24, 2012, 19:59:36 »
Cleaning and trimming onions drying on my mini greenhose racking.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6178 on: July 25, 2012, 01:30:47 »
Cleaning and trimming onions drying on my mini greenhose racking.   ;D

I must get on with that job tomorrow but in my case it'll be shallots that need sorting out.

Today I just wandered up and down with a watering can. It was warm.  :)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #6179 on: July 29, 2012, 21:53:23 »
A nice morning and lunchtime so sauntered to the allotment to pick broad beans, lettuce and carrots for a salad tonight. So I get a torrential thunderstorm about 8 minutes after I start. I retreat to overhanging hedges with a leaky brolly and watch the lightning then give up and start home. 10 yards away from the allotment gate it stops.
I can take a message.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal