Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873463 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6140 on: July 02, 2012, 16:38:05 »
Helped with one of our groups, taking side shoots off the tomatoes, weeded part of the path, starting to get ready for the judges. Dug up some lady c spuds,  cut a couple of iceberg lettuce and some springeys for my daughter and picked lots of strawberries which are red and ripe looking but not very sweet so I'm having to cook them, first time in many years  ::)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6141 on: July 04, 2012, 01:28:40 »
Watched the rain fall then gave in and joined it for a while outside.

Squished the hoe / swoe through an island flowerbed and around the veg patch at my parents place, picked a long stemmed bunch of sweet-peas and dripped back indoors again.

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6142 on: July 04, 2012, 18:29:46 »
I planted carrots and beet yesterday where my cabbages used to be. I'm hoping my wild-flowers and sweetpea will keep the carrot-fly away. What's the chances?

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6143 on: July 04, 2012, 19:11:59 »
I made 2 more raised beds & filled with soil etc ready for sowing tomorrow weather permitting  :-\ (rain forecast for about 10 days solid).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6144 on: July 05, 2012, 20:27:31 »
Sorted out a hive which was preparing to swarm. I had planned to do something else after I'd checked it, but once I'd seen the swarm cells I had to do something about it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 20:43:07 by Robert_Brenchley »

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6145 on: July 05, 2012, 20:34:08 »
Me and matthew weeded, had a lovely time looking at worms and other creepy crawlies in the warm sunshine ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6146 on: July 05, 2012, 21:24:49 »
Just sat nice and peacefully and thinned out the rat population
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

harrys dad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6147 on: July 05, 2012, 21:43:15 »
Just been on holiday for a week. So it's weeding, weeding and more weeding.  :(
Mick.

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6148 on: July 07, 2012, 20:59:07 »
I lifted and hung my onions. I also planted a load of marigolds in and around my recently planted carrots. Spent time encouraging my strawberries. They're so big! Did a lot of potting on with flowers to ensure winter has a bit of colour.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6149 on: July 11, 2012, 20:44:12 »
Just sat nice and peacefully and thinned out the rat population

Do you do foxes too?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6150 on: July 11, 2012, 20:46:41 »
Cut all the haulms down on the lady chrystl, desiree, charlotte and kestrel spuds. Here's hoping we can get some potatoes out of them, the blight hadn't gone down the stems yet

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6151 on: July 13, 2012, 20:16:36 »
Cut all the haulms down on the lady chrystl, desiree, charlotte and kestrel spuds. Here's hoping we can get some potatoes out of them, the blight hadn't gone down the stems yet

Same here - set off to dig some potatoes for dinner - arrived home 2 hours later having chopped the tops off of 8 rows of spuds. This is becoming an annual event.

So what did you do with the the halm?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6152 on: July 13, 2012, 20:21:36 »

Same here - set off to dig some potatoes for dinner - arrived home 2 hours later having chopped the tops off of 8 rows of spuds. This is becoming an annual event.
Bagged them for the tip, unfortunately, can't burn them at the moment. I hate tipping them as they'll probably be composted and put back into the stuff were sold

Put them in bags for the tip. hate doing it as they will probably turn up in compost that we buy as we're not burning at the moment

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6153 on: July 13, 2012, 20:40:30 »

Bagged them for the tip, unfortunately, can't burn them at the moment. I hate tipping them as they'll probably be composted and put back into the stuff were sold

Put them in bags for the tip. hate doing it as they will probably turn up in compost that we buy as we're not burning at the moment

I rather thought that's what you might say and nearly everyone would agree it's the right thing to do but....

I had 8 rows of tatty tops which amounted to five cycle-trailer loads. The trailer holds, and I can pull, 100kg without a problem. My problem was I had to get back this evening to cook my elderly parent's meal...expected on the dot so...... there was no time for five round trips to the tip.

Now here comes trouble!!!  :( I put all of mine on the compost heap  :o and covered the huge pile with gradually rotting grass clippings.

Whoops....... stand back and wait.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6154 on: July 14, 2012, 13:27:07 »
Hi Aden, could you cut them up & bag up in black sacks that are sealed tight & then put a few out for the bin men each week? Definitely better than composting them I reckon xjane

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6155 on: July 14, 2012, 13:28:05 »
p.s I mean better than composting them on your allotment  ;)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6156 on: July 14, 2012, 15:04:19 »
Hi Aden, could you cut them up & bag up in black sacks that are sealed tight & then put a few out for the bin men each week? Definitely better than composting them I reckon xjane

I'm sure you're right. The previous year I tired burning most of them as they dried pretty quickly. This year I need a nuclear power-plant to create enough heat. (There's a thought.  ;D )

Presently, as yet again, it is tipping it down and I need to rescue the wet washing over the road, re-spin it and bring it home here, I think the "helm" will just have to stay put.

The grass clippings that I piled on top were so hot I couldn't handle them without using a fork - I'm hoping the heat will help kill off any spores. :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6157 on: July 14, 2012, 16:16:09 »
Squelch - mud, squelch - slug , squelch -snail,  squelch - more mud.  Happy days.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6158 on: July 14, 2012, 18:31:38 »
Harvested Peas, Spuds and 3 carriers of Winter Onions.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6159 on: July 14, 2012, 23:23:53 »
Inbetween When it was raining I planted another dozen french climbing beans.
I hope they can swim.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal