Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872986 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6120 on: June 27, 2012, 08:48:56 »
more digging!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6121 on: June 29, 2012, 00:16:53 »
Love those bees Robert!!

I picked a few pounds if strawberries but threw almost as many on the compost heap - they really don't like these cool damp conditions.  :(

I dug my first new potatoes - quite pleased with the results but will have to wait until tomorrow to eat any as it was 9pm when I got home.

I pulled a handful of red skinned spring onions as well as the first beetroot of the season.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6122 on: June 29, 2012, 00:21:26 »
Made a bit more of the shed ... weeded ... planted out second round of sweetcorn to replace the failed ones, final attempt of Borlotti Beans and tobacco plants.

Everything's so late I really hope these things work!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6123 on: June 29, 2012, 19:43:04 »
A bit of tidying up; the flood's subsided, though I don't know what happened to that fellow I saw floating past yesterday, in a big boat with a load of animals. Planted out several varieties of climbing bean. The water's still there a couple of inches down.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6124 on: June 29, 2012, 20:55:51 »
Dug up all the Lady C tats, as blight identified by a fellow plotholder (the one that found my watch!).

Any flowering thistles and fat hen weeded out of the Cara and Desiree tats.

Had a natter with a father-in-law of a neighbouring plot as she can't handle the whole one and suggested that perhaps she might like to share with someone on the waiting list.

Dug up more bindweed roots, after 7 years, it's still a problem  >:(

Ninny

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6125 on: June 30, 2012, 18:20:39 »
Fetched my strimmer yesterday from the repair shop- fixed under guarantee thank goodness. Just had time to strim most of the long grass at my plot when the heavens opened and we had a massive thunderstorm. Sat it out in the shed but couldn't do any more. Had hoped to get sweetcorn and some more pumpkins in but no chance in sodden soil. :(

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #6126 on: June 30, 2012, 22:06:32 »
Pulled up some Pentland Javelin,Red Electric Onions,Aquadulce broad beans and made some Borage tea.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6127 on: June 30, 2012, 22:19:21 »
Dug top corner of new plot-that means we've gone right across the width - still loads to do though.  Sowed yet more French beans as a green manure- we'd never be able to eat them all!

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #6128 on: June 30, 2012, 22:23:34 »
Made a bit more of the shed ... weeded ... planted out second round of sweetcorn to replace the failed ones, final attempt of Borlotti Beans and tobacco plants.

Everything's so late I really hope these things work!

You can grow tobacco in the UK???!!! Is it legal? If so where do i get seeds?

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #6129 on: June 30, 2012, 22:45:28 »
I have grown tobacco, really just as a curiosity, It is legal but the trouble is that it is very difficult to process, being very poisoness you have to get the curing just right. If you are still interested just google tobacco seeds and there are lots of sites that will provide them. Then google how to cure tobacco and I think it will put you off. They are magnificent foliage plants but need to be kept in the greenhouse.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6130 on: June 30, 2012, 23:09:08 »

Not a good picture as taken from my ancient mobile, but erected tall brassica cage today. A little "Heath Robinson" with the old bamboo canes but will suffice for autumn calabrese, brussels and PSB.

Ninny

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #6131 on: June 30, 2012, 23:42:21 »
Hmm a quick google shows curing to be non-essential. I generally laugh in the face of poison, but I'd like to grow tasty edibles in the greenhouse, not make room for the weed that my wife hates. No way would I be allowed to in other words  ;D

More worrying is this: http://www.tobaccoseed.co.uk/Additives.html

Most are pretty innoccuous but there's one or two bad-boys in there (and i didn't get past "C"). Wow!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6132 on: July 01, 2012, 00:11:25 »
Down on the plot today for 6 hours... relaxation (?)

Cleared an overgrown bed of brassicas, weeded and dug. Looks lovely and ready for the leeks (better late than never).

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6133 on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:19 »
Sowed some late peas , coriander, radish, Swiss chard and Little Gem cos it's quite cool out there.  Potted on some divided perennials, corkscrew willow cuttings and some nicotiana seedlings.

Bawled at doglet prancing in the cavolo nero and purple sprouting bed.

Watered pumpkins and brassica babies and hosta pots.  

Off for a shower now and then a gourmet picnic eaten on the hoof while rambling from post to post with dogs and daughter and some friends.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6134 on: July 01, 2012, 18:29:37 »
Examined the bees. I didn't have that much time due to a church stewards' meeting, and I'm shattered anyway as I went to London to see my daughter yesterday, came back late, and didn't get much sleep.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6135 on: July 01, 2012, 22:21:07 »
Picked strawberries, redcurrants, raspberries, few peas, spinach, dug up a few pots.  Picked sweet peas.  Too tired to make raspberry jam tonight, maybe tomorrow.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6136 on: July 01, 2012, 22:35:01 »
Planted out sweetcorn and more pumpkins. Hoed and weeded and spread slug pellets.

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6137 on: July 02, 2012, 00:09:33 »
Nowt today, went to brothers house to celebrate my dads 90th birthday and mums 87th :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6138 on: July 02, 2012, 00:19:38 »
Nowt today, went to brothers house to celebrate my dads 90th birthday and mums 87th :)

Excellent use of your time in my opinion! I hope you all had a wonderful day.  :)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6139 on: July 02, 2012, 15:33:24 »
Got rather cross about my neighbour taking a broken paving stone without asking, and the rabbits trying to dig holes under the shed and ruining my weed control fabric, then sat in the shed eating cashew nuts until I felt better.  Weeded all the beds, dug up the first of the potatoes and some garlic, and planted more beetroot and carrots.  Then it started to rain so I came home.......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal