Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 877357 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6100 on: June 13, 2012, 06:20:45 »
Yesterday I weeded, planted alpine strawbs all over the place, planted squashes, mulched, sowed more beans, topped up tomato pots with compost and tied the plants into their canes, watered, carried potato buckets outside from GH, hunted..well tried to hunt recident mouse down from GH, emptied old planters from soil, started hedge cutting, organized plants around to fit more into GH, potted up some lettuce, carried compost bags into plot...and ...and.. ::)

But even all that was on top of being  in work first..I thoroughly enjoyed my day and stayed on until I run out of daylight... ;D

Hmm..must add 'build new gate' on job list.. :-\

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6101 on: June 13, 2012, 16:05:09 »
Today I walked - yesterday even squelching was out of the question... wading was in.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #6102 on: June 16, 2012, 20:10:56 »
Bugger all,and it don't look very promising tomorrow.....will I ever get me runners in  ???

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6103 on: June 16, 2012, 21:41:51 »
Bloody windy but a brief visit let me put in some more peas and beetroot.   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6104 on: June 16, 2012, 22:07:29 »
helped daughter-in-law with weed identification and planting out sprouts.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6105 on: June 19, 2012, 21:19:57 »
I finally finished digging the Veg Plot / kitchen garden!!

Then I went off to the Lottie to harvest chickweed. It has done so wonderfully well!!  :) Two whole heaped barrow loads from between the potatoes and I didn't have to do anything special to it this year.... it grew all on its own despite the heat/wet & cold weather we've had.  :)  :)

All I need now is a recipe to make use of it.  ;D  Anyone else growing it this year?

Oh... just remembered... whilst admiring my self-sown crop of blackfly I spotted a few broadbean pods that had swollen so I removed those very promptly!!! Didn't want anything edible to spoil the general appearance of my plot this year.

(Had to eat the broadbeans for dinner to hide the evidence... they were lovely)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6106 on: June 20, 2012, 22:53:16 »
I finally finished digging the Veg Plot / kitchen garden!!

Then I went off to the Lottie to harvest chickweed. It has done so wonderfully well!!  :) Two whole heaped barrow loads from between the potatoes and I didn't have to do anything special to it this year.... it grew all on its own despite the heat/wet & cold weather we've had.  :)  :)

All I need now is a recipe to make use of it.  ;D  Anyone else growing it this year?

Oh... just remembered... whilst admiring my self-sown crop of blackfly I spotted a few broadbean pods that had swollen so I removed those very promptly!!! Didn't want anything edible to spoil the general appearance of my plot this year.

(Had to eat the broadbeans for dinner to hide the evidence... they were lovely)

Lovely post ;D ;D ;D

Ninny

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6107 on: June 20, 2012, 23:15:02 »
Yep made me laugh Aden  ;D ;D ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6108 on: June 21, 2012, 04:24:16 »
We actually got in the garden today...yippee, no rain , we were still ankle deep im stinky mud on the paths but we managed to put up a hoophouse  over the tomatoes and we planted some brassica plants..

I harvested all my garlic scapes .

AND.. it is not raining tomorrow....

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #6109 on: June 21, 2012, 05:16:52 »
Over the past few days I have sown more beetroot, peas, French Beans, carrots and sweetcorn
Transplanted some celeriac
Potted on peppers
Watered last night, but looks like we have the rain back

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6110 on: June 21, 2012, 08:34:45 »
Last night I didn't get home until past 10 ..I just had to get last of the squash beds finished...before the rain arrives.
And its done now...poor plants in pots get into ground soon. I managed to dig loads of smelly chickens bedding into ground too, so when I plant, I'll have to make planting 'pockets' and hopefully the poo has mellowed down by the time plant roots start reaching the good stuff.. ;D
All was finished with good sprinkling of rock dust and now the rain will wash it in.
Another major job done...now my brassicas are in need of attention.. ::)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6111 on: June 21, 2012, 14:37:11 »
Another glorious day....  :)

It started just as I fished the rake out of the garage and headed off towards my parents new veg patch.

Rain.

So that's saved the wear and tear on the tools.  ;)
The rake is back in the garage and the seed packets stored for another day.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #6112 on: June 21, 2012, 21:30:09 »
Quick inspection of the beds, quickly tied 4 outdoor tomatoes to canes, tapped the tomato canes in the GH, ran back indoors.

Later picked some mustard greens and spring onion for stirfry. Still ran back indoors.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6113 on: June 21, 2012, 21:40:14 »
Picked some strawberries and redcurrants for more jam making tomorrow.  Picked some spinach, and some more peas.  I seem to be doing well with peas, as first year only got about 3 pods, but must be doing something right this year, or maybe they like the rain. Did a bit of cutting grass with blunt shears, but it is my birthday soon, and as don't know where to get them sharpened and they are a bit heavy, think I will drop a few hints.   ;D ;D ;D

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6114 on: June 21, 2012, 22:04:52 »
Spent the main part making my zero pounds shed on the allotment mainly from bits of fence and fence posts my neighbour threw out last winter.  It's hideously over-engineered for a little shed but it gets so windy on our site that I figure it's worth it.  I have no idea what I'm doing - but it seems to be coming together in a ramshackle kind of way.

Once it's done I can get back to the hopeless task of trying to hoe nettles and mares-tail to death through all my crops.

Got the first broad beans yesterday though - it was so worth it!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6115 on: June 23, 2012, 19:52:45 »
Started some more cosse violette beans, plus some more dwarf french, borlotti and purple beans inside in the hopes they will catch up when I plant them out. Sowed some more modules, the seedlings sown direct are being eaten as soon as they appear so, back to my modules. Sowed turnips, mixed leaves, provence salad, spring onions, transplanted some savoy cabbage into bigger pots and some kohl rabi. Tomorrow I'm starting some more calabrese and romanesco broccoli. Going to be a later season but the peas, spuds and carrots/parsnips are loving it and we've had some lovely fruit already

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6116 on: June 26, 2012, 00:46:10 »
Put the beetroot seedling in modules under chicken wire cos the pigeons have been at them.... unloaded a trailer of manure into the furrows between the spuds... only a little bit left to go adn I'll have put a foot all through the potato patch this year, planted out my second batch of sweetcorn and two wigwams of borlottis.... fingers crosed there no manure contamination where those beans have gone....

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #6117 on: June 26, 2012, 05:18:36 »
Harvested the last of my RDOY and on to my Foremost
Watered and slug pelleted the paths
 ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6118 on: June 27, 2012, 00:40:27 »
Tied in more of the grapevines, as I still haven't got the knack of which bits to cut off and when. ::) Lots of little bunches forming though, so I did something right.

Tied up the tomato plants, most in flower now, just hope the weather is kind and we don't get the dreaded 'B'.

Took off the last of the broad beans put the plants in the composter. Planted the last of the cabbage but didn't have time to do the Autumn Calabrese so made a makeshift net tent over the pots.

................and weeded

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6119 on: June 27, 2012, 00:48:58 »
A bit of digging, mulching, and sorted out a swarm which had moved into one of my empty hives.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal