Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873384 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6060 on: June 04, 2012, 16:20:13 »
Well it stopped raining long enough today for me to get a get jobs done planted up the 2 hanging baskets with help of Hubbie and Harriet.

Also put down loads of beer traps :)

Planted a few things in the big flower bed but ground so wet we had to stop.

Heading to garden centre at mo (Hubbie driving Harriet asleep in back) for drill bit to mount hanging basket as our last one broke this morning.

If it can stay dry a little longer I would like to break up the soil on the beds to let the rain penitrate down.

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6061 on: June 04, 2012, 17:32:00 »
Well, as always, as it seems, behind schedule. Weather yes but other things going on haven't helped.
So today at the Lotty have planted out all the things I had on hold until able to do anything with them. Bear in mind my soil is clay which loved the 4 - 6 weeks of rain, then enjoyed the few weeks of sun to bake itself.
So have planted out more peas, broad beans then some sweetcorn and french beans, Cobra, on a wigwam.
In between have planted a variety of lettuce. Also have sown another 2 x 10 foot rows of carrots, flyaway. Weeded a few beds, lots more to weed.
Then at home in my veg raised beds have planted more lettuce, a short row of spring onions and radish. Tomorrow's plan is to sort the veggie beds at home out, plant out the brassicas, including some swede I've started in modules, net the strawberries, vine and blueberries. Then it will be beer time or a glass of wine on the patio. BTW the patio needs relaying and the paths between the raised veggie beds need sorting but a man has to chillex at some time  ;)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6062 on: June 04, 2012, 19:24:31 »
a lovely sunny day and cool enough to dig and mattock out tree roots on my new lottie.  We've managed to get one small corner double-dug, and it's taken hours, and several days in fact.  It seems like a huge amount until I turn around and see the huge expanse behind me, nettles, thistles, brambles etc all growing like mad.  "Parsnip Norman", next door, said I should put poison down or I'll be 114 before it's all done.  I said I'm "not a poison sort of person".  Anyway, I like buttercups-at least there's something beautiful to look at between digging!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6063 on: June 04, 2012, 21:14:12 »
We sowed a huge bed of roots hopefully they will winter, some more beans and a couple more flowers.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6064 on: June 04, 2012, 21:14:33 »
Yes mother nature has forgoten to take her pills again this season :(

Oh well at least the rain is needed :)

Only caualty today has been the parsnips and the poppys the parsnips got water logged and mushrooms were growing in the tray and the poppys look like they have been deep fried i might be 2 late to start again though :(

We picked up 4 bags of compost from homebase which was dry looks like it was just delivered and hubbie is going to move it into the garage for me tomorrow as i cant lift the bags when there water logged. Am going to mix a bag of the homebase stuff with a few handfulls of shreaded paper and  1/3 grass clippings & 1/3 a bag of soil impover from the council to dress the beds.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6065 on: June 04, 2012, 22:59:20 »
Took a trip down to the plot after my daily work schedule... My son came down as well and we made a framework and netted over the strawberries... them pesky birds have eaten 2 massive strawbs that I was going to pick today..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6066 on: June 05, 2012, 01:23:44 »
Felled six flipping big fir trees and was delighted that everyone of them fell safely in exactly the right spot missing the trellis and the greenhouse as well as the neighbour's fence on the far side of the garden.

So pleased that job is completed - I hate heights and put the job off for the last few weeks. But bonfire burnt well and the trunks are neatly sawn and stacked.

Tomorrow I'll ache like mad I'm sure.....more used to holding a pen than a bow saw up a ladder!  :D

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #6067 on: June 05, 2012, 05:35:15 »
Thanks to "Amazing rotovator" from here, I have this last couple of days made four of these brassica frames, 13 foot long and 40inches wide.

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6068 on: June 05, 2012, 08:11:51 »
We had a day off!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6069 on: June 05, 2012, 21:02:12 »
great minds so did we ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6070 on: June 05, 2012, 21:49:14 »
and another!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6071 on: June 05, 2012, 22:13:01 »
Have had a bit of a frantic day, I was dertermined to get the rest of my sweetcorn and banana shallots in the ground as I'm at work the next two days, so managed to do that plus put my outdoor tomatoes out as well...yeah, I know its a risk but I'm still seriously short of room at home. I have about 20 pumpkins and squash hardening off in batches, plus quite a few courgettes......I can't remember sowing that many!!! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6072 on: June 05, 2012, 22:51:11 »
Squashes went into the ground today, vegetable spaghetti and butternuts. Courgettes Romanesco, Soleil F1 and Tondo from saved seed. A) forgot to take up my ground eggshells and B) my organic back up slug pellets and it's slug heaven out there tonight  :(

Brought back the dwarf beans as heaven opened.

Picked asparagus, nearly the last.

A big plus was that hubby came up picked the broad beans and edged one of my plots! He had a valid comment though, both side cutting and level cutting shears seem to be all designed for 4' people as his back was bent the whole time. That coming from an umpire who stands straight for many hours I can understand, any ideas?

Ninny

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6073 on: June 05, 2012, 23:08:02 »
well after just coming back from 2 weeks in Bonny Scotland the Plot needed some serious attention so before todays rain arrived I had a mad weeding hour followed by some planting.

50 Leeks were well dibbed in,then 30 Whole bean plants were transferred in toilet roll an all..!!!!
3 S Marzano Toms were planted in the GH and my only 2 surviving Zacs were given there spot in the Polly.
Another 50 Beetroots were scattered in a raised bed and earthed over,plus another 12 Leafbeet were planted.

Rain started hammering down mid day so I abandoned the Plot till the morro.!!!!!!

Gazza

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6074 on: June 05, 2012, 23:45:53 »
Well 10 bags of garden waste out for tomorrow i am going to drop another out soon but its just shredded paper and i don't want it to disintegrate in the heavy rain out there at the moment. 4 black sacks of waste (only 2 is actual rubbish the other 2 is plastics) and a large box of bottles for collecting tomorrow. I will get 4 bags back from them and then i can finish pulling up all the veg which has gone to seed and get everything re-planted.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6075 on: June 06, 2012, 14:29:55 »
Murdering slugs. :o :o :o

Is it just me or is everyone plagued by them this year.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6076 on: June 07, 2012, 00:47:01 »
Forecast was for rain today but 3 spots is nothing so.........

• I continued digging the Kitchen Veg Patch and planted climbing french beans there.
  • Planted out some new chrysanthemum sprays for cut flowers later in the year
  • shot to the plot and picked two containers full of strawberries (about 4lb)
  • hoed between rows of carrots, beetroot and onions, around the strawberries and between the shallots
  • picked a large bag of baby leaf spinach

Belted home, hitched up the bike trailer, and set off to my son's new place as he's away...
  • netted his peas and strawberries
  • loaded my garden shredder into the trailer and pedalled home again

Thanked Mrs Roller for making a great job of planting up my parents summer bedding at the back of their bungalow. Just one more bed to do asp and sit back and enjoy (an hour off maybe!!).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6077 on: June 07, 2012, 07:50:52 »
Yesterday I worked round the rain... torential about 3pm. Sorted the squash for planting. Found the two huge snails that were savaging the Aubergines,, weeeding, sowing carrots, planting basil in the poly...
Not sure about the weather today but have a morning of other jobs...  :)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #6078 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:16 »
plan is to go with the b=oys to pick strawberries, put some more slug pellets down and to scatter some more beetroot.
If I think that im going to get lucky with the weather then I might plant in some leeks ansd some cabbage. Cabbage may be a job for the weekend as I want them neeted straight away.

Depite my little boys loss of my fave little rake the other week, he is as ever a very enthusiastic gardener but has learnt not to just leave things lying round. Wish his twin was even a teeny bit as enthusiastic as him.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6079 on: June 08, 2012, 00:15:34 »
Thanks to "Amazing rotovator" from here, I have this last couple of days made four of these brassica frames, 13 foot long and 40inches wide.

Steve...:)

Well done Steve - they look great - given me an idea for next year  :) :)
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal