Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874636 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6040 on: May 30, 2012, 23:30:11 »
We planted beans and some extra spinach and we started building a grape arbour XX Jeannine

For eating or brewing purposes Jeannine ;)

I've got a couple of young Phoenix vines and still to learn the pruning techniques, they are supposed to be for wine but as I've not done it correctly, yet, last year I let them go over and they were sweet enough to eat.

Garden today. Nearly cleared out greenhouse No. 1 (really my potting shed) of all the seedlings by potting on so I should be able to plant in there next week. Greenhouse No. 2 has been planted up with half submerged growbags with Brandywines, Britain's Breakfast tomato interplanted with french marigolds. Lettuces, Red Fire and Little Gem thriving. Runner and dwarf beans up and nearly ready for the plot.

One thing I forgot to sow this year was Cape gooseberries  :-[

Ninny

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6041 on: May 30, 2012, 23:32:26 »
Well we now have rain hard and heavy :) Stood in the middle of the garden and got soaked BRILLIANT :)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6042 on: May 30, 2012, 23:45:53 »
Well we now have rain hard and heavy :) Stood in the middle of the garden and got soaked BRILLIANT :)

Blow it down this way Cam, please!  :)

Ninny

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6043 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:39 »
Yesterday evening. I sowed all the lovely shelling beans that Galina and AJ sent me a few months ago. It was so nice to see all the different colours of the beans. I really miss AJ
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6044 on: May 31, 2012, 08:35:38 »
My first post, wooo! :) Yesterday was the firs time in two weeks I didn't have to water my patch. And yes, it was lovely to stand in the rain and watch my veg soak it up. Unfortunately, weeds also love it so I was in, back bent, picking out a zillions junior demons. Everything is growing so fast in the warm weather. Brilliant!;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6045 on: May 31, 2012, 08:51:10 »
Welcome to A4A  Eamon
                             I want em saying

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6046 on: May 31, 2012, 12:25:01 »
Planted up half the long decorative border, put the soil in the boxes for the union jack flags ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6047 on: May 31, 2012, 22:36:54 »
Put the bunting up for the weekend  :)

Ninny

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6048 on: May 31, 2012, 23:32:41 »
Welcome to A4A  Eamon

Cheers! Great site. Looking forward to picking up lots of good tips along the way. ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6049 on: June 01, 2012, 00:06:46 »

Blow it down this way Cam, please!  :)

Ninny

Would love to but so needed it rained for 2 solid hours must this afternoon went out and Harriets sand/water table which was dry was soaked and the water side must have had 1/3 a inch of water in it.

Today i had a list of jobs to get finished got 3 done when i got a fall from a pregnant friend of mine to say she had fainted and could i pop over to her. So downed list and popped over. Taking her little one to nursery tomorrow so she can rest and am now cleaning house and trying to get back on track. Husband has built the new furniture for the garden which looks very nice and fingers crossed BBQ can come out saturday. Loads to do in the garden and now the soil is damp its easier to get things done just running out of hours in the day. Not going to be able to get out in the garden now till saturday :(

Did manage to get 2 brackets for my hanging baskets and we just need to work out where to hang them but looks like outside the back door is the preferred spot for now.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6050 on: June 01, 2012, 05:32:01 »
A good watering all over the plot and pulled a few weeds while I was there.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6051 on: June 02, 2012, 01:39:14 »
Nothing again this Friday.  :(

Returned from my pals funeral and straight to work making sure my parents had a meal, drinks, curtains pulled and tv on before flopping down with a coffee in peace and quiet for a while.

I did have time to take my dad down to the end of the garden to see his new runner bean frame and the beans. It cheered him up and helped lift my mood a little.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6052 on: June 02, 2012, 07:52:06 »
We managed to get the netting on our 18x 24 fruit cage. Me fingers are that sore from putting the ties on and me neck is aching from looking up. Added to that I got some new glasses and the change in my vision was making me feel sick. We started at 10am and finished at 5pm.We were both asleep  for 9pm.
                             I want em saying

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6053 on: June 02, 2012, 16:03:53 »
Busy day today....Had the help of DH.
Planted out 5 rows of brassicas (kale and purple sprouting).
sowed 3 rows of parsnips (very late I know, just see what they do).
Planted out 5 courgette plants, 2 butternet squash, 2 pumpkins, and put out the beans that have germinated (poor germination this year for some reason) and sowed some more bean seeds direct, (mice ate em last year, so I don't hold out much hope for them, but I planted 3 in each hole  ::)
DH also put out the sumflowers and put in 2 logan berries we had been given.
We also weeded two brassica beds phew, I think I remembered everything  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6054 on: June 02, 2012, 20:13:57 »
Finished digging over a patch ready for my courgettes and squash. earthed up my spuds. Hoed and weeded.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6055 on: June 02, 2012, 20:51:27 »
Took down four raised beds so I can take them to my new small garden to grow salads etc outside my back door ;)
Emptied one Dalek of home made compost onto plot & got srea ready for squash plants.

DFug up 3 black ants nests & moved them to somewhere less annoying for me  ;D

Ate first 2 strawberries  :P

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6056 on: June 02, 2012, 22:25:25 »
Earthed up my spuds, hunted out a few juvenile weeds in both my patches, but best of all - I checked every cabbage leaf and took great delight in scraping off freshly laid butterfly eggs. ;D They lay their eggs so beautifully, tight together and in straight rows, like a yellow battalion on parade. :) Anyway, off the buggers came, but I'll be back again tomorrow, and the next... Now it's time for snail-watch. I think I'll fling these ones a bit further tonight, now that I know the beggars have 'homing' capabilities. :o

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #6057 on: June 02, 2012, 23:15:39 »
Well little man has not been detttered from his enthusiasm for the plot after this loss of my best hand rake last week. He was very helpful at the plot and fullly rewarded with our first strawberries of the season.
his twin brother however was a pain in the derrier and as much use as a choocolate teacup.

Hope they are btoh good on our nest trip to plot

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6058 on: June 02, 2012, 23:57:07 »
Planted: french climbing beans, more broad beans, butternut squash, more peas and then pulled some rhubarb and picked 4 tubs of strawberries and a bunch of sweet peas.

Traded a bearded iris root that a neighbour asked for and was given some summer flowering iris (cut flowers) in return.  :)

Presently pouring down with rain so all the newly planted things should all settle in well.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6059 on: June 03, 2012, 23:54:22 »
Nothing today as I woke to a massive Migraine...

But over the last few days I've prepared the plot for the best kept plot competition and then planted out:
55 sweetcorn
30 mini cob sweetcorn
10 butternut
2 anchocha
6 outside + 6 inside toms
1 marrow
52 gem squash - (at the plot and home GH)
20 Cabbage
30 mixed lettuce and green salads
100 leeks

netted the brassicas
sowed 2 mt of beetroot
earthed up the potatoes
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal