Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872986 times)

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6020 on: May 26, 2012, 17:42:09 »
Weeded my parsnip rows, 4 by 10 foot, must be the worst job, which is weed which is parsnip. Watered all the seed rows, this was at 7.00am. Planted 2 by 10 foot rows of beetroot plants, yes I know could have planted them direct but my soil is heavy clay. Had to water to make the soil workable to do that. Hoed all around. Clay soil like concrete now, little else I could do. Went for a pint. Lots of plants in the holding bay, outside, greenhouse, garage ready to take up to the plot to plant out when soil workable.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6021 on: May 26, 2012, 17:46:37 »
planted out  cobra french beans watered and took some photos.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #6022 on: May 26, 2012, 18:58:55 »
Watched some dragonflies around my pond.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #6023 on: May 26, 2012, 21:53:37 »
well as a family we weeded strimmed watered and hoed. Oh and spent an age looking for my little hand rake that one of my sons decided to toss into the grass hubby had been strimming. We have come to the concludion that it has ended up in the compost heap. So aI am one rather annoyed mummy, with one rather regretful 4 year old.

I had only moments earlier told him off about leaving my tiny trowel lying on a patch of ground and told him when he had finished with anything he ahd to take it back to the carpet area where they have thier seats. So not as if he hadnt been told. I also had no idea he'd taken either out of my bag.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6024 on: May 26, 2012, 23:21:58 »
well as a family we weeded strimmed watered and hoed. Oh and spent an age looking for my little hand rake that one of my sons decided to toss into the grass hubby had been strimming. We have come to the concludion that it has ended up in the compost heap. So aI am one rather annoyed mummy, with one rather regretful 4 year old.

I had only moments earlier told him off about leaving my tiny trowel lying on a patch of ground and told him when he had finished with anything he ahd to take it back to the carpet area where they have thier seats. So not as if he hadnt been told. I also had no idea he'd taken either out of my bag.

Ooooh, haven't we all made mistakes, even us biggies? Hope you find your trowel soon and your little one is only 4, so don't be too harsh. It is so easy to nip a budding gardener in the making, although just as important to teach them the rights and wrongs as a garden or plot can be a hazardous place.

Ninny  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6025 on: May 27, 2012, 02:09:26 »
Watched some dragonflies around my pond.

I watched one on the edge of my old metal bath on the plot. How it has survived as a nymph in a glorified water butt I don't know but the discarded skin was floating on the water.

Daft thing lost it's grip and fell back into the water just as it began to pump up its wings. I left it hanging onto a tuft of tall grass.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6026 on: May 27, 2012, 22:44:11 »
weeded and thinned my parsnips and they are now looking as though they can hold their own. Planted some cobra french beans and moved a wind break to protect the beans as they are so tender and it was very windy up there

Yesterday, I set my tall brassicas out in a very tall cage. I want to grow lots more but have been careful this year and set out 2 x calabrese, 2 x psb, 2 x red russian and 2 doric sprouts. I have interplanted lettuces, thyme and marigolds

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6027 on: May 28, 2012, 12:06:25 »
Well Harriets in nursery today so its just me and i have managed to weed 1/3 of the 3 veg beds as there in shade in the morning and get the sun in the afternoon. Filled 2 brown bags of garden waste and have a wheelbarrow piled high.

Have harvested 1/3 of my onions and not impressed.

Moved all my potted plants into the sun disposing of those who have not survived so the shelving unit can be moved later when husband is home.

Moved all the chairs which are stuck shut to one side for going to the recycling a few are ok so might keep them for a while new stuff comes tomorrow :)

I have Harriet home with me next 2 days then she's in nursery again so i have 2 more days (of i am told cooler weather) to get the 4 beds weeded and planted as well as planting up main flowering boarder. If i can i am going to look at the idea of making up my own plant tape for some of the seeds going to look though the archive on here to find the instructions :)

Am in now and going to put feet up and watch something i have recorded with a hot cup of tea and have some ME time :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6028 on: May 28, 2012, 13:12:34 »
All chillies and peppers are FINALLY potted on and growing in GH..some of them are from last year and needed BIG pots..so carrying compost last few days is been major task. My fiery 'friends' have had their own greenhouse allocated this year, so I hope good return for my effords.
Sorghum is potted up and another couple of weeks its going to be planted.
Otherwise I've been carrying on sowing various seeds..herbs, cucumbers, brassicas.
Biggest job is to keep everything watered in this weather.. ::)..I even had to put some netting up on GH to give my young plants a bit of shade..shading up in MAY.. :o ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6029 on: May 28, 2012, 19:59:39 »
Finally planted the courgettes and the rest oof the runners out, watered everywhere, took 2 hours with watering cans  :o

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6030 on: May 28, 2012, 20:34:22 »
Don't you just love the sound of the dry ground after you water as it soaks up the water its almost a whistling noise :)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #6031 on: May 28, 2012, 22:41:10 »

Ooooh, haven't we all made mistakes, even us biggies? Hope you find your trowel soon and your little one is only 4, so don't be too harsh. It is so easy to nip a budding gardener in the making, although just as important to teach them the rights and wrongs as a garden or plot can be a hazardous place.

Get a feeling that the rake si lost and gone forever. Did another round of looking for it today. As you say it was only a rake and he does love to help. Perhaps I need to get him a set of his own tiny tools.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6032 on: May 28, 2012, 22:44:54 »
planted 2 squash plants and watered.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #6033 on: May 28, 2012, 23:06:40 »
planted 5 squashes and 1 courgette, sorrel, 2 globe artichokes, bronze fennel, evening primrose and mina lobata and mulched. oh and watered them in. that took 1.30m all in the baking sun this morning. realise that i can't continue with much when i can only get there during the mornings. it got far too hot and felt quite jaded by it all (esp. walking up a steep hill to get back home!)

watered heavily yest for 1.40min in the cool evening, but can only do that at the w/ends when i can go as during the week, i work in the afternoons til late at night.

need to plant the toms and chillis out tomorrow.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6034 on: May 28, 2012, 23:41:19 »

Get a feeling that the rake si lost and gone forever. Did another round of looking for it today. As you say it was only a rake and he does love to help. Perhaps I need to get him a set of his own tiny tools.

That would teach him responsibility for his tools, a lovely idea, he will then copy what you do with his own, with a little watering can too he might produce his own crop even  :)

Ninny

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6035 on: May 30, 2012, 21:07:12 »
Not a sausage done today..  :(

But yesterday I began removing the turf from what will become a kitchen garden once it's had a quick fork over, some compost added and been planted.

The plan is: bean sticks up & beans in followed by a row of lettuce and beetroot, a couple of courgette plants and then we'll see.....  ;)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6036 on: May 30, 2012, 21:26:06 »
I weeded the  back garden today! I also sorted out the greenhouse keeping on top of the pinching and tying re the tomatoes. Planted some dwarf sunflower seedlings....and one of Jeaninnes tomato seedlings. We went to the allotment and did some watering.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6037 on: May 30, 2012, 21:32:48 »
Translanted the rest of the sweet corn and some squash. Started planting the borders to decorate the site for Wigan/ North west/ Britain in Bloom  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6038 on: May 30, 2012, 22:19:29 »
well now have 8 bags of weeds mostly cabbage and PSB which has gone to seed  build 2nd shelving unit and moved all seedlings to this cooler spot.

dismantled table which is lop sided and disintergrating brushed the patio down and sprayed patio with weed killer to kill the moss and small weeds between the slabs tomorrow will attack them with a hoe and help Hubbie build new table :)

cleared the big bed (where the greenhouse will go) for planting up 3 sisters tomorrow :) soil nice and wet for planting.

looks like the rain missed us :( Hubbie drove home in the rain which stopped a few miles from home

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6039 on: May 30, 2012, 23:09:20 »
We planted beans and some extra spinach and we started building a grape arbour XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal