Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875520 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6000 on: May 22, 2012, 22:39:56 »
Weeded strawberries and hoed over.Planted out some ganzias ( don't know if spelt correctly) picked out some self seeded pansies and potted on. I am amazed this year especially after all the cold weather just how many plants did self seed last/this year.I have sunflowers, pansies, cosmos and 1 more which I cannot remember the name.Planted my Dahlias.Made a small garden in front of greenhouse and put plants in. Doesn't seem a lot but it took me all afternoon.Thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon but now shattered.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6001 on: May 22, 2012, 23:06:14 »
Fleeced the greenhouse roofs inside to shield the plants. Repotted peppers, chillis, toms, cucumbers and numerous other flower seedlings. Gave all the greenhouse plants a good dousing after the sun went off them.

Gosh was it a scorcher today!

Ninny

PS. All the windows and doors are open in the kitchen as it is so warm tonight, evicted a huge cranefly tonight twice into the back garden, third time it went out the front door  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6002 on: May 22, 2012, 23:11:45 »
Watered all the seed beds and a few other things besides - all with a watering can as usual of course.  ;)

Planted two courgettes out.

Had one last bonfire at 9:30pm right at the bottom of the garden hoping that's the very last of Mrs Roller's shrub trimmings until autumn.  ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6003 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:32 »
Yesterday I potted on my melons, earthed the spuds, hoe ed the weeds and pulled loads of marestail.  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:08:58 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6004 on: May 23, 2012, 10:39:51 »
Yesterday I planted up a few beans plants and put protective bottle cloches over them (mice, voles, slugs), removed some bottle cloches from lettuce plants that are now big enough to withstand a bit of slug nibble, watered greenhouse.  Planted rooted kale (thank you Goodlife for cuttings) - please keep your distance pigeons!  Admired the first pea flowers.  Bought yakon tubers a while ago and they have sprouted well, planted them out next to the Jerusalem Artichokes (they are related and the JAs are doing well in this spot) and covered with large plastic bottles because apparently they are slug magnets.   Found a volunteer potato plant with a tiny new potato - first this year.  Starting to clear the overwintering salad plants from the greenhouse to make room for tomatoes etc. 

The blue drum I use to make liquid fertiliser had slipped off its brick base (how???), so I had to drain lots of evil smelling brew before two of us could lift it and put it back.  It was very tightly packed full with  the first comfrey harvest and loads of nettles plus several gallons of water to start it off.  Comfrey does not need water to get going, but nettles rot much faster with a bit of water added.  Could not get the smell off my hands for hours  ;D

Harvested one tiny potato, lettuce, rocket, cress, spring onion, a little bit of overwintered celery and Florence Fennel. 

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6005 on: May 23, 2012, 11:39:19 »
So far I have watched the gardener cut next-door's grass.  :D

And "No thanks, I don't want mine done... we like the daisies and I'll cut it later when it cools down after I've done the washing."

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #6006 on: May 23, 2012, 21:00:59 »
Prepared a large plant pot for pumpkin #3..Potted up the candytuft seedlings into tubs...so now have 3 tubs full.  Yesterday I Levelled the former pond and planted another wigwam of green beans , and prepared a third site for my pumpkin.
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6007 on: May 23, 2012, 21:34:02 »
Got VERY, VERY hot planting my tomatoes in the greenhouse that the thermometer read 120 degrees! I came out looking like a tomato meself!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6008 on: May 23, 2012, 22:33:24 »
Got VERY, VERY hot planting my tomatoes in the greenhouse that the thermometer read 120 degrees! I came out looking like a tomato meself!

;D ;D ;D

Almost cleared greenhouse No 2 of seedlings and cuttings outside to harden off, that'll be my job for tomorrow Doris, the sun doesn't get around till about 10am in mine so a bit of time to get planting  ;)

Ninny

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6009 on: May 23, 2012, 22:41:02 »
I planted out some dwarf sunflowers into pots in the front garden.
Planted cucumbers/tomatoes into the final position in the greenhouse.
Moved loads of plants outside to be hardened off.
A very sweaty afternoon spent gardening!

;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6010 on: May 24, 2012, 00:43:46 »
My small achievements were, after the visitors had gone, shook blue pellets on two courgettes in the back garden, watered at the plot and the usual routine for my parents.

Finally had dinner at 10:45pm.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6011 on: May 24, 2012, 21:51:14 »
Potted on, watered and sowed some more bean seeds...........to order this time! A lovely lady and her (I think) Mum asked me to sow an order of 9 runners and 12 dwarf beans for them.

Had our first barbeque of the year tonight, both children home, and now sitting here in the garden chilling in the warm night air. Bliss :)

Ninny

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6012 on: May 25, 2012, 01:36:20 »
Planted out 16 Scarlet Runner Beans - hoed & watered - readied the strawberry bed for netting - hand weeded then a quiet cycle ride home in the cool of the evening.  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6013 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:16 »
put the courgettes out to harden off, planted some more tomatoes and got watered by Matthew  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6014 on: May 25, 2012, 09:07:56 »
Looked at my replacement seeds that I planted yesterday, watched Charlie (cat) do a wee on my courgettes in a tub (at least it wasn't on my new carpet, and he is blind and old).  The snails have had a go and now wee, lucky I planted more, or no courgettes this year (I don't believe it).  Think I have given up on my cucumber seeds, must have been too cold for them, may have to buy a few plants as replacements.  Usually good with seeds, but think I jumped the gun this year when it was warm before it got really cold again. Hopefully allotment later, but yesterday I came home after a while as got all hot and bothered.  ;) ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6015 on: May 25, 2012, 09:35:13 »
I have a long list of planting out... and structural work like making compost bins etc... just having a coffee to psyche myself up...  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6016 on: May 25, 2012, 10:44:59 »
LAst night after work, I popped down, pulled out the biggest weeds around the onions, watered the peppers and aubergines and tomatoes, weeded around the Italian artichoke, pulled the last cloches off the tomatoes, had a little tidy. Looked mournfully at the grass growing round the edges (have to attack that with a spade on the WE), at the weeds attacking the artichoke bed, at the weeds in the dahlia bed (but the dahlias are now up so I can attack it to get out the weeds now. Also need to remove a feew wild flowers that are in the fruit bed, and move them to a better place (say around the edges of the potato bed.

Harvested a few handfuls of spuds, parsley, coriander, a small lettuce, a huge brace of rhubarb, and a cup of strawberries! And all that in about 45 minutes!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6017 on: May 26, 2012, 10:19:48 »
I have a long list of planting out... and structural work like making compost bins etc... just having a coffee to psyche myself up...  :)

Good to see the coffee comes first......... I really must work on firmly planting my priorities.  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6018 on: May 26, 2012, 12:04:54 »
Potted on my last two bell peppers this morning about 10 am and it was hot in the garden then, I'll be giving the lottie a miss today and may give the pub a go.  :o    ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6019 on: May 26, 2012, 17:08:47 »
Planted 2 courgettes - the usual Black Beauty and a round variety.
Netted the strawberries as they are gradually ripening.
Watered the runner beans and anything else that didn't move and was edible.

Next time I must top up the water butts - allowed to as there's no hose pipe ban in my region.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal