Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872997 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5980 on: May 16, 2012, 23:54:18 »
Bet I have more marestail than you Kev. Perhaps we can sell it on EBay.  ;D ;D ;D

How much you charging? Potted or bare root?  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5981 on: May 16, 2012, 23:58:25 »
Escaped at 7pm...  ;D

Planted 10 good sized calabrese and covered the potatoes once again with grass just in case we do get a frost one fine night.

(To disappoint the pigeons the calabrese was covered with wire mesh tunnels)

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #5982 on: May 18, 2012, 16:50:26 »
Earthed up the potatoes, mainly with earth dug out of a 4'x6' pond liner that the previos owners filled with rocks, slabs, soil, dog toys!!! .....Should get it totally empty tomorrow...if the weather holds. :)
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5983 on: May 18, 2012, 17:02:12 »
Actually managed to get some work done on our own plot today, planted out some webbs lettuce, celeriac and coriander. Some are surrounded with slug gone and a couple are left with none, going to see what difference it makes. Planted out some sunflowers,tagetes and helichrysum, planted some french marigolds in with the tomatoes  :)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5984 on: May 18, 2012, 17:16:37 »

Tied the sweet peas to their strings with wire,  all 40 of them.  I''ll be glad when they're a bit taller and I don't have to kneel or bend so far  :D

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5985 on: May 20, 2012, 00:04:44 »
Planted Greyhound cabbage, and bit the bullet with plot planting toms, 4 x each Brandywine, Brandywine crosses and Britain's Breakfast. Aubergines and sweet peppers interplanted with French Marigolds and 16 Ambrosia Sweetcorn (saved seed). Weather forecast is for higher temps so had to go for it.

Emptied 6 sacks of spent hops over the potatoes, instead of earthing up - when will I ever learn to leave loads of space between the rows  ::)

Edged the grass on part of the plot and found a pigeon's egg, obviously dropped by a magpie but it was totally cold so not worth saving.  :(

Best news is...............I haven't killed my grapevines by overpruning as they are budding today  :)

Ninnys

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5986 on: May 20, 2012, 12:05:04 »

Tied the sweet peas to their strings with wire,  all 40 of them.  I''ll be glad when they're a bit taller and I don't have to kneel or bend so far  :D

Cheers,    Tony.

You are kind to your sweet peas. I plonked some pea-sticks in when I planted them so they are gradually taking care of themselves and heading upwards. Treat'em tough!!  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5987 on: May 20, 2012, 19:07:36 »
A lot of weeding today
Weeded and spaced out Brassicas
Give them a good watering along with beetroot, peas and snips.
 :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5988 on: May 20, 2012, 22:18:45 »
Potted on asters - Californian Giants, courgettes - Soleil F1's, Romanesco and seed saved from Tondo (yes I know I shouldn't save curcubit seeds but I forgot to buy any round seed so having a go to see how they turn out!).

Also potted on Vegetable spaghetti squash, one of my easiest ways of getting squash into the family's diet as it will take all kinds of sauces.

Cucumbers are up and should be potted on next weekend.

It's getting exciting out there  :)

Ninny

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5989 on: May 20, 2012, 22:32:43 »
Very exciting Ninnnyyyyssssssss.....things are moving at last!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #5990 on: May 20, 2012, 22:36:51 »
gave the euonymus a hair cut in the front garden-it was letting the side down!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5991 on: May 20, 2012, 23:37:09 »
Planted out french beans on the lottie, The OH planted a dozen toms !! ooh  :o these lovely plants the best I've grown are out there ! Alone ! scary   ;D ;D ;D
Trouble is we plant 'em, nuture 'em and then have to surrender 'em to nature -scary!  :o
sanity is overated

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5992 on: May 21, 2012, 16:17:18 »
Had a great time yesterday.. Planted out my courgettes, summer squashes, my delicious Gem-squash (from africa) Hubbards and a few leftover garlic plants that were in pots.

Some small chillies, toms and egg plant that are not growing fast in the home GH so planted out in the GH at the plot which gets more sun. Hopefully they might grow now..

I also planted out some garlic into my nursery area that I have been growing on from seed (bulbils). This seed was harvested by a friend from seed last year and I planted a few months ago - potted on once and as they are all growing well I decided to plant them out to grow. They will take a few years of planting, reaping, drying and replanting again. They will eventually get big cloves after about 3 years of nurturing... well so I'm told!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5993 on: May 21, 2012, 16:22:40 »
planted r beans out    and sow peas
i don't belive death is the end

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5994 on: May 21, 2012, 16:34:19 »
Made a start tackling the jungle which has grown up in the garden over 3 weeks while we've been away! Mainly weeding and trying to tie in the tangle of perennial sweet peas. Too jet-lagged to visit the allotment which I'm sure will be very overgrown- it'll probably have to wait until the weekend. Checked out the stuff in the greenhouse- all loking good except something's chewed my french beans. >:(

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5995 on: May 21, 2012, 17:42:30 »

Planted out 20 broccoli (Tenderstem) for us and 10 sunflowers (for the birds).

Covered the brassicas with the smaller of two frames and moved the larger away from the spuds.

Tried to fit the larger frame's mesh to the smaller frame !

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5996 on: May 22, 2012, 00:49:03 »
Lifted the lids on 2 cold-frames disturbing the ants... sent them scurrying everywhere leaving their eggs behind.

Watered the strawberry pot and very little else - too busy with a list of things to do for others.  ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5997 on: May 22, 2012, 05:16:45 »
Yesterday I potted on  Cucumber and the Tommies at home
On the lottie another weeding session, hoeing and digging out unwanted marigolds along my Runner bean frame. 
Watering a few of the transplants.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5998 on: May 22, 2012, 16:51:36 »
I think I may have burned my courgettes and squashes today in the hot sun... they were loosley cloched with open ended plastic roof sheeting but still seem too hot... so I watered them, raised the bottoms off the beds with some planks and added some enviromesh to shade them a bit. Will check tomorrow.. May have to buy more seed quickly!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #5999 on: May 22, 2012, 22:22:13 »
Weeding and a general tidy up

Courgettes,pumpkins and peas went out.Sweetcorn tommorow fingers crossed.

Good tidy up around the blackcurrants,fed them some blood,fish and bone and plenty of water.

Earthed up the spuds  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal