Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874688 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5940 on: May 05, 2012, 00:57:27 »
Well I felt a bit stupid earthing up and covering potatoes in the warm-ish drizzle, but since frost is forecast here tonight I'd feel even more stupid looking at frizzled haulms in the morning....

You made a good choice - I would have done the same and have done in the past.

Let them "what want to" have a good snigger... but we know who will have the last laugh when your spuds are belting away and other peoples are still smarting from the set-back a frost can cause.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5941 on: May 05, 2012, 20:10:40 »
Had limited time today for my own work as we had a workparty day to dig up an repair blocked and broken underground drainage pipes.. All sorted now so hopefully the top end of the site will now drain itself when it rains again. Some of the plots were were under about 6" of water... only fit for rice!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5942 on: May 06, 2012, 20:00:06 »
Sunday... I stayed in today to do the back and side hedges (12' high) and general tidy up of the back shed and greenhouse area.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5943 on: May 06, 2012, 20:12:04 »
Cut some chives for dinner noticed how cold its got although its dry the grounds not had enough sun to help warm it up. Much 2 wet t dig but ideal for pulling dock and other long root weeds from the ground.

Lots of chive flowers though and rhubarb is looking good i pulled a couple of comfry leaves and popped them around the base 2 weeks ago with all the rain forecast i though it might help as a slow release feed :)

Tomorrow were going to pull all the garden toys out for harriet and i am going to dismantle and move my mini greenhouse and move it more into the sun and i have the shelving for another one somewhere in the garage but no cover so going to pop that up and make a frame for tomato growing.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5944 on: May 06, 2012, 20:59:45 »
Got to the allotment for an hour, and planted out another couple of varieties of broadies.

Twinklekat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5945 on: May 07, 2012, 16:37:33 »
Got a couple of hours in this morning digging a new bed then it rained. Had lunch in the new greenhouse but it was raining harder, went home. Now it's dry so after an early tea we'll be back up there digging soon ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5946 on: May 07, 2012, 18:03:57 »
Finished the broadies. Severn varieties adds up to rather a lot, but never mind.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5947 on: May 07, 2012, 19:26:24 »
Put some Cara in, then it started raining.  :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5948 on: May 07, 2012, 19:48:05 »
Weed , weed , weed ...... boring I know ! ..but it has to be done , done and done again  .  ::)
Trespassers will be composted !

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5949 on: May 09, 2012, 01:08:38 »
I cut the grass paths with my push mower then edged them.

Plonked in two rows of onions with whopping roots so hope they come to something despite being late.

Planted out lots of spring onions - also from modules

Planted out another lot of peas & covered them

Hoed loads

Strawberries are looking good..... here's hoping.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5950 on: May 09, 2012, 05:25:56 »
Cut the grass in the back garden and took it to the lottie with all my kitchen waste, mixed the waste in the daleks and sprinkled the grass cuttings on the spuds and did a bit of weeding while I was over there. Potted on a cucumber plant and put it in the Summerhouse.   :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5951 on: May 09, 2012, 07:54:29 »
Yesterday we cut the grass... checked everything as we had been away over the weekend.. loads of pricking out...  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5952 on: May 09, 2012, 08:04:49 »
Really busy yesterday.  Got sun burnt face.  Put out canes for the peas and beans.  Earth very soft and wet so they went in nice and deep very  easily. 

Threw in a few runts from the potato packets in a arather weedy area.  Started putting straw round strawberries.  Horrible to do - I hate bending. 

The rain has got the weeds very excited and there are loads of them. 

Sowed some beans direct under bottle cloches.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #5953 on: May 09, 2012, 11:29:05 »
Finished the broadies. Severn varieties adds up to rather a lot, but never mind.
Did you get any from your Landrace that you put in the Seed Circle?

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5954 on: May 09, 2012, 16:32:14 »
Put my waders on to pick the rhubarb ::) My plot looks more like a lake :(

On the plus side got some rhubarb wine started 2 gallon some rhubarb schnapps and still got some left over for dinner tonight ;)

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5955 on: May 09, 2012, 16:35:32 »
Earthed up three rows of spuds, and planted my last row.....feels like planting the potatoes this year has taken forever.
planted out some broad beans, and picked some salad leaves, last of the white sprouting and some rhubarb.  Was given a spring cabbage by a lottie neighbour  ;D mine were eaten by mice last year, they were having parties in my green house and cold frame.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5956 on: May 09, 2012, 17:11:11 »
Today I was called into work by the agency and now I'm back it's raining...  :'(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5957 on: May 09, 2012, 18:22:29 »
Mega weeding, pulling rhubarb, planting broadies and peas, chatting and planning what to put in my shiny new greenhouse!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5958 on: May 09, 2012, 21:06:54 »
Belted outside between downpours and potted on some tomato plants as well as sowing more climbing french beans and runners. Plants and I weren't outside long.

Is there a variety of water beans or will the climbers be able to keep their heads above the floods?  ::)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5959 on: May 11, 2012, 09:20:03 »
WOOHOO ;D ;D ;D   SUN  8) 8) 8)
going to run up the plot and do some weeding ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal