Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875577 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5920 on: April 30, 2012, 22:59:39 »

Emptied out the rainwater from the plants hardening off - I'd put them in gravel trays to conserve water and they were drowning!

Ninnys

Yeah, I had a mad scout around and managed to just about find enough for mine... I don't use them for anything so they've arrived when I've picked up pots form freecycle... now I'm reaching a stable state with what I grow (I reckon in a couple of years time I'll have completely stabilised how much propagation/pots etc I need) then I'll pass on the excess to someone else... although equally I have been wondering about growing a load of veg plants and selling at a car-boot or two...

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5921 on: April 30, 2012, 23:06:25 »

Emptied out the rainwater from the plants hardening off - I'd put them in gravel trays to conserve water and they were drowning!

Ninnys

Yeah, I had a mad scout around and managed to just about find enough for mine... I don't use them for anything so they've arrived when I've picked up pots form freecycle... now I'm reaching a stable state with what I grow (I reckon in a couple of years time I'll have completely stabilised how much propagation/pots etc I need) then I'll pass on the excess to someone else... although equally I have been wondering about growing a load of veg plants and selling at a car-boot or two...

Much better selling them at the local horticultural society, help raise funds for them and you too :) Have a look out for your local's one's plant sale - usually around May time!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5922 on: May 01, 2012, 02:29:06 »
Well today was quite productive - planted 2 dwarf stock apple trees that I paid £10 for each and then ***planted a whole load of bedding plants that Tes** were reducing so garden now full as well as waterlogged.

I'm not sure which part of the world you are in but......
***Keep an eye on the weather forecasts.... you'll not want to lose those bedding plants in a late frost.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5923 on: May 01, 2012, 05:33:49 »
Yesterday I earthed the spuds and weeded.      :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5924 on: May 01, 2012, 16:43:50 »
I've transplanted all the squash, only have melons in the propagator now  ;D

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5925 on: May 01, 2012, 17:13:08 »
Met office currently forecasting minimum of 3 degrees Sat morning and 1 on Sunday, for the Midlands and that's plenty cold enough for frosts!!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5926 on: May 01, 2012, 20:46:20 »
Well today was quite productive - planted 2 dwarf stock apple trees that I paid £10 for each and then ***planted a whole load of bedding plants that Tes** were reducing so garden now full as well as waterlogged.

I'm not sure which part of the world you are in but......
***Keep an eye on the weather forecasts.... you'll not want to lose those bedding plants in a late frost.

Got the fleece ready to cover over at the first signs but at the moment we seem fine

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5927 on: May 02, 2012, 13:18:34 »
weeded the garlic and earthed up a row of potatoes, had a natter then home

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #5928 on: May 02, 2012, 17:59:43 »
Was up at my inlaws so started to weed their veg patch  :D  ...and ended up just dead heading a few dandelions  ;) ....and also admired their now empty green house....it's always been full of bramble and grape vine since I've been around....
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Twinklekat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5929 on: May 02, 2012, 22:09:47 »
Managed to weed the onion beds and flowers beds, made a change....first time in ages I've actually done some gardening, it's been construction work on the greenhouse for days.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5930 on: May 02, 2012, 22:18:48 »
Weeded onion beds, planted broad beans,planted some spring onions, sowed mixed salad leaves, weeded around the raspberries. thinned and weeded the beetroot.
A day of weeding after all the heavy rain.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5931 on: May 02, 2012, 22:56:54 »
Weeding.  After the rain there seem to be simply millions and millions of weed seedlings.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5932 on: May 02, 2012, 23:27:49 »
Weeding.  After the rain there seem to be simply millions and millions of weed seedlings.

Same here.....weed wise.

I used a swoe around everything planted out and a (wish I knew its proper name) wheeled hoe through much of the vacant parts of the plot. Hoping it'll be dry enough (joke) for the little devils to die off.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5933 on: May 03, 2012, 22:35:42 »
Snuck out for a few hours from work (working from home is great)... Now officially finished the main digging.. Just gotta dig between all the spuds and earth them up..   and hoed all the onions and garlic... chopped 2 onions off!! Ooops..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5934 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:13 »

Always a good sign........something's growing well at last.  ;)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5935 on: May 04, 2012, 16:49:23 »
Well I felt a bit stupid earthing up and covering potatoes in the warm-ish drizzle, but since frost is forecast here tonight I'd feel even more stupid looking at frizzled haulms in the morning....

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5936 on: May 04, 2012, 19:00:49 »
Covering potatoes and strawberry plants and french beans.   Planting a few potatoes which were left in the bag.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5937 on: May 04, 2012, 19:09:07 »
Got delivery of all the bedding, the most beautiful hanging baskets and standard fuschias. Really pleased with all the plants this year, just have to warn everyone to protect them from frost  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5938 on: May 04, 2012, 21:01:41 »
Carried all the peppers and tomatoes etc from the greenhouse benches indoors, don't want them to freeze in the next two or three nights.

Some are nearly ready to plant out in the greenhouse  ::).  Hope this will be the last severe cold spell for this spring.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5939 on: May 04, 2012, 22:08:55 »
Been digging in drizzle.. ::)..had to start expand my this years squash bed as I have 'too' many varieties to grow..new bed is half dug now.. ;D..and tomorrow its going to be finished and layered heavily with compost, chicken's bedding and grass clippings. Then it can 'rest' until squash plants are ready for planting.
Mulched potatoes and archoke plants with another layer of straw..to keep that promised frost away...netted all peas with enviromesh against sparrows and it should give teeny bit help against frost too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal