Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872958 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5900 on: April 28, 2012, 23:47:19 »
Ran....... well, to be honest, walked quickly.

A wet and fairly miserable day so we went into town (I'd almost forgotten what the place looked like).

Bought a cheap pot of slug bait and a large bottle of tomato feed from Wil...not put the name as it could be advertising.  ::)

Very blustery tonight so I'm hoping the rain will have blown over by the morning.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5901 on: April 29, 2012, 12:53:29 »
Need to get leeks in for dinner and kale - just can't face it yet.  This weather is horrible.

Ok, ok - I'll go and get it over with .........

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5902 on: April 29, 2012, 14:22:08 »
Been there and done some watering.. ::)..in GH  ;) ..and fetched trays and trays of lavender outside..this rain is going to save a job watering them and tommorrow I can plant them...IF the rain stops.. ::)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5903 on: April 29, 2012, 14:38:04 »

What did I do in the garden today? 

I stood and watched the branches of a rather large shrub in a neibours garden thrashing about in the wind and threatening to take out a few panes of my greenhouse.  I stood there and cursed myself for not cutting it back sooner.  ::) 

Top priority when the weather eases off.   8)   Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5904 on: April 29, 2012, 15:32:36 »
Came back from work and had did a couple of lengths backstroke in the puddle that is my lawn...... ::) :)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5905 on: April 29, 2012, 16:31:46 »
Got a load of digging done yesterday... first time I could get to the plot for 10 days.. due to rain.. (i'm a fair weather farmer!!)  I now only have a 2mt x 5 strip left to dig... double digging has proved a good idea as I have removed huge loads of perennial weed and grass roots.. had a few rather large bonfires lately.. but now I have 4 wheelie bins full and need some sun to dry them before I can burn!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5906 on: April 29, 2012, 17:57:23 »
ground is now so water logged i can't walk on it to do anything :(

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #5907 on: April 29, 2012, 17:59:37 »
Potted up the hosta (ousting a family of ants in the process:P), and scrubbed some 'pot' saucers in the puddle that is my lawn/paddy field...also tried to spike the lawn with a garden fork to try and get it to drain a little better... :-\
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5908 on: April 29, 2012, 18:05:46 »
Looked in dismay at all the leggy looking seedlings in window that should have been in the cold frame 3 weeks ago..........may actually go crazy after weeks solid of rain!!!!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5909 on: April 29, 2012, 18:07:45 »
Ooops!! - just remembered what I forgot to do was wash my onions to remove some overspray from a gust of wind  of round-up I sprayed on some weeds in the fence that I cant get at by hand to remove...  :(  :(

Hope they survive..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5910 on: April 29, 2012, 18:14:38 »
Another glorious day today  :) Just the sort of thing us gardeners like....  only we'd prefer it spread out over several months.... so little done.

only it was heavier, faster and wetter...... ::)

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5911 on: April 29, 2012, 21:07:26 »
It stop raining at 2-30 sun came out ,we were off down the Lotty  by 2-45 I planted shallots we grew from seed,picked 2/1/2lb of sprouting broc,and 3lb of rhubarb, weeded ,planted beetroot, netted around the peas >:( (pigeon's at it )then home,hope it's dry tomorrow . ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5912 on: April 29, 2012, 21:39:20 »
Finished potting on tomatoes, they'll go into the ground from these pots, phew... sowed sweetcorn, popcorn, herbs, salads, most of this summers cucurbits (cukes, squash, a lot of melons for an experiment, gherkins)  and a large number of beans...Flajoly, Canadian Wonder, CLimbing Pinto, Box, Yin-Yang, Soldier, Ernies Big-Eye, Minnesota Purple Mennonite Stripe, San Antonio, Egyptian pea-bean, Nubian pea-bean, Polish Climber, Bird Egg, Borlotti, Bridgewater, Cherokee Trail of Tears, Cobra

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5913 on: April 30, 2012, 01:19:31 »
Finished potting on tomatoes, they'll go into the ground from these pots, phew... sowed sweetcorn, popcorn, herbs, salads, most of this summers cucurbits (cukes, squash, a lot of melons for an experiment, gherkins)  and a large number of beans...Flajoly, Canadian Wonder, CLimbing Pinto, Box, Yin-Yang, Soldier, Ernies Big-Eye, Minnesota Purple Mennonite Stripe, San Antonio, Egyptian pea-bean, Nubian pea-bean, Polish Climber, Bird Egg, Borlotti, Bridgewater, Cherokee Trail of Tears, Cobra

Wow you have been busy!

Once you've sowed the beans what temperatures do you keep them at?

I have french climbers and runner beans to sow as well as tomatoes to pot on... Not too warm right now and too wet to get on the plot for planting out some of the hardier things.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5914 on: April 30, 2012, 07:39:07 »
Backstroke ..like DebP...
but much nicer start today...  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5915 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:48 »

Wow you have been busy!

Once you've sowed the beans what temperatures do you keep them at?

I have french climbers and runner beans to sow as well as tomatoes to pot on... Not too warm right now and too wet to get on the plot for planting out some of the hardier things.

The beans are in the big propagator which is currently set to about 25 degrees, as the entire area is covered the 150W a 40 foot soil-warming cable puts out doesn't have a problem maintaining that.
That's the bottom row in the propagator ATM, all the sets with lids are beans (lids help keep it nice and snug and by putting weights on them I keep the mice out)

This is the removeable deck that I built for the propagator, currently occupied by tomatoes plus the rootrainers of gigandas.... need to pot on the gigandas......

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5916 on: April 30, 2012, 10:35:18 »
Thanks Chris for the information - good photos too.

I have one thermostatically controlled propagator but it's not big enough to take all the beans. I think I might stick mine in a small sunny greenhouse and bring them in at night.

More walking up and down 2x a day  ::) but I hope to have some ready to go out on the plot rather than be late so perhaps I'll try just a very few early ones and then be patient.  ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5917 on: April 30, 2012, 20:36:00 »
Well took Harriet out this afternoon and we have pulled up a brown sack of weeds (collection next week) and there is another 2 bags of weeds to go then i can dig the beds over and get planting. Had to carry her back in after an hour as we were both cold and wet ok Harriet was wet due to puddle jumping :)

She's in bed asleep now and i have my feet up have finalised the planting plan for the 3 main beds will post later :)

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5918 on: April 30, 2012, 21:37:35 »
Well today was quite productive - planted 2 dwarf stock apple trees that I paid £10 for each and then planted a whole load of bedding plants that Tes** were reducing so garden now full as well as waterlogged.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5919 on: April 30, 2012, 22:48:03 »
Found the slug that had been nibbling my aubergine plants, canny whatsit was hiding under the table!

Emptied out the rainwater from the plants hardening off - I'd put them in gravel trays to conserve water and they were drowning!

Held the bottom of the ladder whilst hubby shimmied up to clear out the gutters - need to clean windows again with all that splattering  ::)

Ninnys

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal