Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875405 times)

Twinklekat

• Not So New ...
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5840 on: April 15, 2012, 17:53:58 »
Made raised beds 9 & 10, watered older beds, planted some marigolds, had a couple of brews, chatted with neighbours, got the ok for our greenhouse and new shed plans from the council chap and made plans for the rest of the plot.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5841 on: April 16, 2012, 10:12:52 »
How gorgeous was the weather ! Spent 6 hours over the weekend, digging, weeding and I am pleased to say I have finally planted my spuds, Pentlan Javelin earlies and maincrop Romano. I have also managed to divide my onions and replant, plant some Jerusalem artichokes. Weeded all around the fruit bushes and feed them orangic manure and fish, blood and bone...bit smelly they they were not complaining.

Monday morning, can hardly move, and I look like I have been self harming  ::)(gooseberries bushes! you just wouldn't leave a baby underone that's for sure ;D)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5842 on: April 17, 2012, 22:37:12 »
Was away visiting inlaws for the weekend so snuck off Mon and Tue afternoons for a few hours. Started digging the final patch - I have a 14 mt x 5 till finished. I have given myself till mid may so should be ok. I'm double digging and painstakingly removing all the rots and weeds etc. so it take a while to do.  Planted 2 Black currants and fitted cut tyres around all the currant bushes to make like a barrier to stop wood chippings going too close. I'm gong to lay weed fabric and cover with wood chippings..  

Also started off some Sweetcorn and various beans in the GH...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5843 on: April 18, 2012, 15:02:25 »
I put the leeks and pea seeds out into the open for a water before they go back in the cold-frame.

Then watched the rain from indoors.  ::)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5844 on: April 18, 2012, 17:18:59 »
Swim...  :-X

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5845 on: April 19, 2012, 01:14:47 »
In between the rain........

I found the three large blue water butts in the new garden then I discovered every one of them has a hole drilled near the bottom.  ::)

Someone had, no doubt, cleverly linked them altogether around the sheds then... someone else has not so cleverly pulled them all apart and lost the linking tubes.  ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5846 on: April 19, 2012, 08:13:53 »
Sowed some carrots and more brassicas.  Took the bottle cloches off another batch of broad beans, used the bottles for the first of the chitted sweet corn and some more broad beans.

Got rid of 100 weeds.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5847 on: April 19, 2012, 16:46:27 »
Only had an hour so transplanted some geraniums for the plant sale, moved the peas into the fruit cage to harden off and sowed some squash  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5848 on: April 19, 2012, 16:49:16 »
Bugger all its piddling down.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #5849 on: April 19, 2012, 17:49:28 »
Peeped through the fence at what will soon be my very own lottie!  And looked at the puddles!

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5850 on: April 19, 2012, 18:17:11 »
In  between showers we got ploythene and hoops,and  fixed a ploy type tunnel over the raised bed for the tomatos,we did get wet but it was worth it . ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5851 on: April 19, 2012, 18:44:05 »
Mainly move seed trays from the pricking out greenhouse to the holding and hardening off areas...  :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5852 on: April 19, 2012, 19:38:12 »
Well, an hour ago the Sun  8) came out with white fluffy clouds and blue skies
So off I popped to the lottie
I put up my new giant fleece tunnel over my Challenge spuds
Earthed up and cloched other spuds showing their heads
Then the rain came and I legged it home
 :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5853 on: April 20, 2012, 01:08:58 »
In the garden? Not likely!!
Indoors......

... sowed the first lot of butternut squash and courgettes.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5854 on: April 20, 2012, 16:44:27 »
transplanted cabbage, red and green, cauli, calabrese and walking stick cabbage outside, Ray planted the first gutter of peas out and i transplanted the first of the tomatoes and a cucumber plant inside. then, I transplanted more plant sale flowers and we watered everything that needed it  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5855 on: April 20, 2012, 18:32:57 »
Spent the day looking up and then running head down to avoid the next hefty down pour.

Washing in and washing out... in, out, in, out, shake it all about....my parents seem to find something that needs washing everyday.

So apart from playing silly-s**s with the washing I've managed only to put a couple of boxes of chrysanthemums out for a water hoping they will shoot and give me some cuttings soon. (Back in the potting shed tonight... the chrysanths...not me!)

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5856 on: April 21, 2012, 19:15:55 »
Put sweet peas in borders ,then while OH was watching footy I went to lotty planted shallots ,put in the pea sticks,weeded ,and picked sprouting broc,and rhubarb,OH brought me coffee during half time !what a darling :-*

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5857 on: April 21, 2012, 19:31:28 »
Put sweet peas in borders ,then while OH was watching footy I went to lotty planted shallots ,put in the pea sticks,weeded ,and picked sprouting broc,and rhubarb,OH brought me coffee during half time !what a darling :-*
Mine was watching cricket and I didn't get a coffee  >:(
planted out some "Bijou" mange tout and some lettuce then retreated to the greenhouse to pot on some chillies.
sanity is overated

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5858 on: April 21, 2012, 19:39:29 »
Finished off the sweet pea buckets, transplanted the livingstone daisies, planted out my dwarf yin/yang and borlotti beans under a fleece cover. Had a fry up and finished off the afternoon potting up lots of soft herbs for the plant sales  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5859 on: April 21, 2012, 21:39:58 »
not a lot because of the rain but ended up taking car to garage for estimate on some damage and picked up some soil on way back.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal