Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873433 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5640 on: March 12, 2012, 22:08:10 »
Hi, Im a newbie, can you tell my wood ash is good on the onions?

see this link here... http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,19106.0.html
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5641 on: March 12, 2012, 22:32:55 »
Cleaned up the cat toilet lovely job ;D

Did that today in the front garden, I like cats but.....................

Weeded the round bed under the willow and the diamond bed under the Christmas tree and gave both a good feed with my "pegmynose" brew from the wheelie bins, maybe that will deter them.

Second thoughts, the owners will probably throw them out into the night again if their paws smell the same  ::)

Ninnys

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5642 on: March 13, 2012, 10:55:45 »
 Got 3 hours in so far, built a 2ND green house that i was given (dismantled it and got it home yesterday)

moved my leaf mould bins as that's where it's going next to the other greenhouse, now I've got little one to look after as the wife has gone on a training course, should get back up there some time this afternoon to level out the ground and put the glass in it.... :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5643 on: March 13, 2012, 11:01:57 »
One long day's belt of sunshine and I was convinced Spring had arrived.   ::)

Autumn here today - chill and grey.  :( But..... if I can escape I'm off to the plot to cut the grass and get on with the winter spring digging & clearing.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5644 on: March 13, 2012, 12:01:53 »
Most important gardening job has been done this morning (dont laugh) have managed to recover seed list from my dead laptop :) Really dont want to have to do that job again it took me 2 weeks to redo it last year.

Harriets in bed and i have an hour before i have to call and get her a doctors appointment so i am going to make a cup of tea pop the radio on and look though my lists and get my propagator planted up on Saturday.

Scores on the doors are that i have 167 packets of flower seeds and 460 packets of veg seeds although i know a lot of these seeds are old now and getting past there viability so i suppose i will just have to plant lots :) hehe

I also need to draw up a list of the seeds i dont have that i know i will need so expect a posting in the swap section next week :)

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #5645 on: March 13, 2012, 16:30:34 »
Had a little bit of a tidy up as the green waste is collected tomorrow some of the beetroot is the size of footballs so i think might be 2 woody to use now. Still no sign of PSB producing although looking very healthy. B.Sprouts are looking really odd some have spouts forming on the trunks but the top 1/2 is full of lush growth and i would swear some of forming heads on top like cabbage?? Leeks and onions also looking good.

Well this morning my spanking new propagator (had to take the plunge as still no greenhouse) has turned up along with the £15 of free seeds so i can finally get started on sowing things for the garden.

(free seeds were Petunia choir of angels and colour parade mixed f1, Marigolds citrus mixed, Sunflower velvet queen, russian giant and the queen series mixed, Morning Glory mixed and Heavenly blue, Swan gourd & Jim Jam Gourd).

My laptop died in a fairly major way last week so i need to see if the husband can recover the data from the hard drive otherwise i need to start again with my seeds database.

Going to concentrate on getting some flowering plants started for the garden as i have a few weeks yet before i can clear out one of my veg beds for new plants. And i need to dig over the bed for 3 sisters (area which was going to be for greenhouse. Its been covered for months so am going to ask a friend for some well rotted horse manure to be delivered and dug in next month so its ready for the 3 sisters.

Mega excited although its going to be tomorrow before i can hit the gardening books and decide what to plant as Harriet has a pretty nasty cold so no nap today.

If the HDD died then it is a 'recovery' job for your PC shop, if not, then buy a 'Caddy' for the HDD and connect to your new laptop or PC.
Hope this helps,
Ian

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5646 on: March 13, 2012, 16:37:00 »
Transplanted ayr cauli, dianthus, heuchera and large dianthus for the plant sale. sowed red spring onions, red cos and webb's lettuce. watered everywhere as we're off to the edible plant sale and leicester this weekend. the weather was brilliant, made it a joy to be there  ;D

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5647 on: March 13, 2012, 19:03:26 »
Snuck out of the house for a few hours today.. (the joys of working from home!!) Made a huge bonfire of pallets and weeds... will scrape up the potsh tomorrow..

Transplanted my 30 broad beans into their bed now that it is ready..

Finished digging and preparing for the second batch of onions, then managed to plant them all before it got dark... 6:30 and still just light..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5648 on: March 13, 2012, 19:39:03 »
SOWED: Beetroot, PSB and Curly Kale.  :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5649 on: March 13, 2012, 20:37:57 »
I got there at last! (The plot)

Lifted some leeks, cleared and dug the old strawberry bed and nattered (a little!)
A lovely 3 hour break  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5650 on: March 13, 2012, 20:41:24 »
Had a little bit of a tidy up as the green waste is collected tomorrow some of the beetroot is the size of footballs so i think might be 2 woody to use now. Still no sign of PSB producing although looking very healthy. B.Sprouts are looking really odd some have spouts forming on the trunks but the top 1/2 is full of lush growth and i would swear some of forming heads on top like cabbage?? Leeks and onions also looking good.

Well this morning my spanking new propagator (had to take the plunge as still no greenhouse) has turned up along with the £15 of free seeds so i can finally get started on sowing things for the garden.

(free seeds were Petunia choir of angels and colour parade mixed f1, Marigolds citrus mixed, Sunflower velvet queen, russian giant and the queen series mixed, Morning Glory mixed and Heavenly blue, Swan gourd & Jim Jam Gourd).

My laptop died in a fairly major way last week so i need to see if the husband can recover the data from the hard drive otherwise i need to start again with my seeds database.

Going to concentrate on getting some flowering plants started for the garden as i have a few weeks yet before i can clear out one of my veg beds for new plants. And i need to dig over the bed for 3 sisters (area which was going to be for greenhouse. Its been covered for months so am going to ask a friend for some well rotted horse manure to be delivered and dug in next month so its ready for the 3 sisters.

Mega excited although its going to be tomorrow before i can hit the gardening books and decide what to plant as Harriet has a pretty nasty cold so no nap today.

If the HDD died then it is a 'recovery' job for your PC shop, if not, then buy a 'Caddy' for the HDD and connect to your new laptop or PC.
Hope this helps,
Ian

Thanks its a control panel failure a new one is £110 so have decided to save and just get a new laptop. Yep i have the old hard drive in a docking station and am copying the content of the disk into a external hard drive. Buts its a long slow process and not going to help with recovery of mail etc. But thanks :)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5651 on: March 14, 2012, 18:51:55 »
went up to admire the 2ND greenhouse as it was nearly dark by the time i got it done yesterday, then put in 4 rows of onions and a row of carrots, may try to put in a row of beetroot before i head of to work tomorrow :-\

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5652 on: March 14, 2012, 18:53:38 »
I shoveled up all the ash from my bonfire yesterday, coarsely sieved it thru some chicken wire on a bin and stored it.  Then collected a few barrow loads of free manure from the entrance gate and spread it ready to dig in for my early spuds.. 

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5653 on: March 14, 2012, 18:59:20 »
dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig, and plant some onions, first thing i have planted this year!! oh yea and some more digging  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5654 on: March 14, 2012, 19:47:10 »
dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig,dig, and plant some onions, first thing i have planted this year!! oh yea and some more digging  ;D

I dig that!!  :D  ;D

Keep at it.... you'll get there.  ;)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5655 on: March 14, 2012, 21:28:46 »
One allotment (I have 3) a total mess and am determined to get it back in order.....but it is SO heavy and wet and full of creeping buttercup. Spent several hours yesterday and today and have only dug enough ground to plant 20 potatoes. Plus starting to clear through my gooseberries and blackcurrants - creeping buttercup again, plus some couch grass and convolvulus.

I have this vision in my head of the most perfect, clean, raked earth, and refuse to be downhearted. It WILL happen.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #5656 on: March 14, 2012, 21:59:35 »
made and stained a low fence/shield to hold my rhubarb back and stop if flopping onto the grass verge that runs the length of my plot

sounds daft but when the rhubarb is in full growth and the council try to mow around it looks untidy.not anymore though  ;D

watered my first sowings in the greenhouse,thats about all today.

will head over there after work and start on a raised bed for herbs,got all the materials so need to get it done

i can then bring plenty of old manure over and get it filled and get growing with it

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5657 on: March 14, 2012, 22:00:07 »
I took all my allotment rubbish to local tip, arnt I good? went back to plot scrapped all paths, swept up muck. Found more rubbish to bag up. Looked in my baths and yippi carrots showing through already. where does the time go when your enjoying yourself? or is it I'm getting older and it takes ages to do owt? I'm a happy bunny anyway when on my plot. Tomorrow intend on planting peas into troughs and put them in green house to grow. I have been reading the posting and was surprised that some have planted out beetroot already, or is the weather where you are warmer and better than up here N.W. Lancashire. A Happy season growing everyone.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5658 on: March 15, 2012, 00:47:48 »
One allotment (I have 3) a total mess and am determined to get it back in order.....but it is SO heavy and wet and full of creeping buttercup. Spent several hours yesterday and today and have only dug enough ground to plant 20 potatoes. Plus starting to clear through my gooseberries and blackcurrants - creeping buttercup again, plus some couch grass and convolvulus.

I have this vision in my head of the most perfect, clean, raked earth, and refuse to be downhearted. It WILL happen.

Had you thought of giving a quick spray of weed killer once it gets growing well? A couple of weeks later it'll be clear.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5659 on: March 15, 2012, 05:06:47 »
Hoed the weeds and had a natter.   :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal