Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874549 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5620 on: March 11, 2012, 18:52:40 »
Bought some more Sante spuds
Bought and put in more Shallots
Sowed Pak Choi
Sowed Primo Cabbage
Harvested b.garden Carrots
Yesterday:
Sowed Hamburg Parsley
Sowed Spring Onions
 8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #5621 on: March 11, 2012, 20:47:53 »
Cleaned up the cat toilet lovely job ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5622 on: March 11, 2012, 20:50:18 »
Sowed some early carrots, radish, little gem lettuce, pak choi and coriander under a cloche and turnips and 2 different types of beetroot  ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5623 on: March 11, 2012, 22:23:00 »
Remembered my camera, for once!

Rustic bean poles on their last tour of service  :(

Broad beans sown last winter getting a move on

What I call "Lester's tall peas" planted in their loo rolls at 45 degrees, I'll mound them up more once the shoots are a little taller

Duke Ellington's purple podded peas on the left and Hurst Greenshaft on the right, the brassicas are PSB's removed from the greenhouse bed after planting there last autumn. They were not happy to winter in there, perhaps a bit late to put them out but better than composting them

Spring Hero cabbage to the rear and spinach to the fore, also planted last year next to the netted PSB . A bit of slug damage and a nibble or two from the pigeons but should hearten up.

Ninnys

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5624 on: March 11, 2012, 23:37:58 »
After cutting my finger the other day I managed 5 hours at the plot today..

Changed the leaking IBC valve then manured and dug a 4 mt x 2 bed  for some broad beans, early peas and also for my comfrey.. Then carried on with digging my next bed 4mt x 1 1/2 for the second half of my onions. It takes quite a while as there are soooooooo many roots to pick out.. Big perennials, couch and mares tail.   I have a pile of pallets to make a bonfire and burn all the roots I have collected lately - one wheelie bin full!!

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5625 on: March 12, 2012, 00:02:35 »
Not a sausage done on my plot this weekend but I did manage to cut and edge the lawns at my parents old bungalow, paint the shed, clear up the prunings (thanks son for trimming everything!) and advise on the careful use of a steam wallpaper stripper.  :o

As well as do lunch and dinner and the bedtime stint with my parents.

(My sister dropped in for 15 minutes apparently) 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5626 on: March 12, 2012, 07:51:21 »
I put a new floor in the Lottie shed yesterday...  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5627 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:31 »
 I have a pile of pallets to make a bonfire and burn all the roots I have collected lately - one wheelie bin full!!

Burning pallets, I'd best not tell ray, he'll have a heart attack  ;D

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5628 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:05 »
I have a pile of pallets to make a bonfire and burn all the roots I have collected lately - one wheelie bin full!!

But I do collect the ash to spread on the onions... that is after I have used a large magnet to remove the nails..  ;D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Hibiscus

« Reply #5629 on: March 12, 2012, 09:36:20 »
Hi, Im a newbie, can you tell my wood ash is good on the onions?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5630 on: March 12, 2012, 15:12:28 »
It is, but collect it before the rain washes the goodness out. I've got a mountain of sticks to burn.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5631 on: March 12, 2012, 15:36:14 »
Had a little bit of a tidy up as the green waste is collected tomorrow some of the beetroot is the size of footballs so i think might be 2 woody to use now. Still no sign of PSB producing although looking very healthy. B.Sprouts are looking really odd some have spouts forming on the trunks but the top 1/2 is full of lush growth and i would swear some of forming heads on top like cabbage?? Leeks and onions also looking good.

Well this morning my spanking new propagator (had to take the plunge as still no greenhouse) has turned up along with the £15 of free seeds so i can finally get started on sowing things for the garden.

(free seeds were Petunia choir of angels and colour parade mixed f1, Marigolds citrus mixed, Sunflower velvet queen, russian giant and the queen series mixed, Morning Glory mixed and Heavenly blue, Swan gourd & Jim Jam Gourd).

My laptop died in a fairly major way last week so i need to see if the husband can recover the data from the hard drive otherwise i need to start again with my seeds database.

Going to concentrate on getting some flowering plants started for the garden as i have a few weeks yet before i can clear out one of my veg beds for new plants. And i need to dig over the bed for 3 sisters (area which was going to be for greenhouse. Its been covered for months so am going to ask a friend for some well rotted horse manure to be delivered and dug in next month so its ready for the 3 sisters.

Mega excited although its going to be tomorrow before i can hit the gardening books and decide what to plant as Harriet has a pretty nasty cold so no nap today.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5632 on: March 12, 2012, 15:42:55 »

But I do collect the ash to spread on the onions... that is after I have used a large magnet to remove the nails..  ;D

If you can get hold of some chicken wire and stretch it out over a few bricks and use another brick on each corner then build your bonfire over it using the pallets to keep the shape and stop it collapsing on the mesh it will act as a sieve for your wood ash :) One of the family used to do this in a small dip in his garden with the mesh over it he also played with filling the dip with hay and other things like paper and straw under the mesh to start the fire if it was damp in fact i think that was how he started doing it think way to get the fire going also a way to impact the PH level:)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5633 on: March 12, 2012, 15:44:13 »
cambourne7 - sounds as if you're going to be busy!!

I've had a "domestic" day as the carer was ill so spent my day (so far) looking after my parents & their visitors.

A short break coming up in which to sow some tomatoes before everyone else is picking theirs!  ::)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5634 on: March 12, 2012, 16:42:34 »
Had a dig. Pruned the new apple trees. sowed some beeetroot.Picked our first PSB.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #5635 on: March 12, 2012, 17:37:40 »
Turbo onions in, Golden Gourmet shallots in,  weeded the snowball jap onions, garlic and crysants.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5636 on: March 12, 2012, 18:39:25 »
Red and yellow shallots and Jerusalem artichokes planted and autumn rasps cut back and weeded (as far as it's possible to weed between rasps. ::)).

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5637 on: March 12, 2012, 18:50:56 »
Sowed some more Nantes Carrots, but direct this time
Sowed Golden Acre Cabbage
Dug up some wandering Raspberry  canes.
  8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5638 on: March 12, 2012, 18:57:21 »
Planted first earlies and eschalote gris shallots.
Sowed lettuce and onions, leeks and some herbs.
Mr PKL cleaned out the chooks and I caught them to give the red mite treatment. Cyril the cockeral got most upset and went to attack me for pinching his girls!

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5639 on: March 12, 2012, 20:23:10 »
Grand plans for a few hours messing about on the Lotti this afternoon after work, so up at the crack of a sparrows wotsit and the bloody van won,t start >:( :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal