Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874976 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5600 on: March 08, 2012, 01:49:40 »
Very little!! 

Having put a tarpaulin over the newly acquired potting shed roof because it leaked I've now put a shower curtain under the potting shed roof because it still leaked!

One of these fine warm days (?) I will renew the roofing felt but until then I must keep my seed potatoes from swimming away.  ::)

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #5601 on: March 09, 2012, 17:09:48 »
Stage 3 :D of building a Cold frame,  creosote with added wood preserver all over including me, I am preserved for posteritity forever more ;D.ian
Ian

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5602 on: March 09, 2012, 18:02:31 »
transplanted red fuego, kalibos and express cabbage, transplanted lots of dicentra and dianthus for the plant sale and made up some salad buckets, just need a tomato plant in them and they're ready for sale. We had to put the sweet peas outside, they're so big  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5603 on: March 10, 2012, 00:33:49 »
As Mrs Roller was out for the day I pinched a space in the new garden, dug up a long strip of lawn and planted my sweet peas.  :)

The bonfire from the night before was still hot this evening so I poked a few twigs in the ash and watched the last of the pine tree branches burn.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5604 on: March 10, 2012, 10:44:26 »
Cleared out the shed, again
Sorted out canes
Put up a wigwam
Sowed Sunflowers
Tried one of them grow your own Mushroom thingies
Sowed Cuc's
Sowed Orange Bell Peppers
Sowed Carrots in a bath
Weeded some deep rooted weeds
All this week
 :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5605 on: March 10, 2012, 15:45:47 »
I pricked out 170 geraniums.  :)

Then I looked at the greenhouse piled high with things that were in the garage before Mrs R decided she needed the space for her junk important things..

When I've worked up enthusiasm (on my day off) I'll take out all the pots, trays, staging and pots and trays and trays and pots (I do need them all, yes.) then I'll be able to actually get in there!  >:(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5606 on: March 10, 2012, 16:25:33 »
Sowed the broad beans  and then built a cage for them. Planted out a bed of strawberries on ower Tones new plot. Hoed in the fruit cage and cottage garden.
Came home had some dinner and have spent the afternoon cooking curry to freeze. Found my last Ichi Kuri sqash had a bit of soft at the neck so chopped in up and put in the freezer ready for soup.
Am aching like hell now I have stopped
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5607 on: March 10, 2012, 16:44:40 »
Sowed another load of saved sweet peas, they've done much better than the new ones. transplanted some costa something tomatoes, transplanted my blue agapanthus into a bigger pot, sowed some purple podded mange tout, should make it easier to see them  ;D

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5608 on: March 10, 2012, 18:59:29 »
dug out 12 barrow loads of soil and pushed them up to the plot :o then layed 12 council slabs that's the 3foot by 2foot ones then fixed the fence and finally done a tip run with all the rubbish...  every bone in my body is aching now, time for a beer  ;)..... going to have an easy few hours at the plot tomorrow doing some weeding ;)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5609 on: March 10, 2012, 19:32:05 »
I pricked out 170 geraniums.  :)

Then I looked at the greenhouse piled high with things that were in the garage before Mrs R decided she needed the space for her junk important things..

When I've worked up enthusiasm (on my day off) I'll take out all the pots, trays, staging and pots and trays and trays and pots (I do need them all, yes.) then I'll be able to actually get in there!  >:(

After a lot of crashing about the staging is out and in the little greenhouse which looks tidy & organised. (We'll not mention the state of the larger one  :-[ )

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5610 on: March 10, 2012, 20:06:40 »
Nothing, but Birmingham Organic Gardeners had a stall in town, and I got a white currant for a quid.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5611 on: March 10, 2012, 20:33:07 »
d**n, forgot all about it.  Had to start tidying the plot up after the big storm weeks back before I got a notice from the very enthusiastic committee (of which I am a member - would that mean I have to write a theatening letter to myself)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5612 on: March 10, 2012, 21:45:51 »
Thursday dug the bean trenches and emptied the contents of the home wheelie bins after final draining of liquid gold. Back filled and erected bean poles, and cross struts (it'll take a really strong wind to move them)   :)

Today, pricked out the Brandywine and English Breakfast toms and put them in the greenhouse along with a lit heater tonight. Sowed so many trays of flowers and veg that when I eventually sat down for 10 mins after 5 hours in the greenhouse and got up again quickly, I'd thought I'd put my back out  :(

(Greenhouse 2)

Hope to get peas in tomorrow at the plot and I must remember to take the camera  ::)

Ninnys
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 22:25:20 by Ninnyscrops. »

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5613 on: March 10, 2012, 22:52:56 »

Today,

(Greenhouse 2)

Hope to get peas in tomorrow at the plot and I must remember to take the camera  ::)

Ninnys

Photos like this should not be allowed!!!  >:(

Organised / well planned, tidy, clean, healthy, labelled and far better than my mess of a greenhouse.  :'(

Seriously.... it looks lovely!!   :)  I'm depressed impressed.   ;)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5614 on: March 10, 2012, 23:10:54 »

Just for you Aden, the messy workhouse of greenhouse 1!  We always show our best profile  ;D ;D ;D

Ninnys

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5615 on: March 10, 2012, 23:16:12 »
Thanks Ninnys but when it comes to explosive mess & muddle my greenhouse wins hands down.  ::) ;D

It's going to have to be a quick fix tidy session when the mood next takes me.... and when I have time.

Presently it is difficult to get through the door  :-[

Yours still looks good to me no matter which end!!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5616 on: March 10, 2012, 23:22:42 »
Sharpened all my kitchen knives last night then used one to scrape labels of old jamjars and..... yes you guessed it. I cut a big slice into my finger..  >:( Couldn't move it today so no plot work today - maybe tomorrow.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5617 on: March 10, 2012, 23:33:09 »
Sharpened all my kitchen knives last night then used one to scrape labels of old jamjars and..... yes you guessed it. I cut a big slice into my finger..  >:( Couldn't move it today so no plot work today - maybe tomorrow.

Why on earth a knife  ??? ??? A good soaking takes off most labels and the stubborn glue comes off with WD40.

Just make sure you cover your wound well if you are plotting tomorrow............please, and hope it's better soon.

Ninnys

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #5618 on: March 10, 2012, 23:49:54 »
Did very little on the plot today, but enjoyed myself just the same.  :)
I sowed a half-row of early carrots, spent a good fifteen minutes just mooching about checking the garlic and onions before my mate from number ten dropped by and found a natural spot to sit and chat.... So we did.  :)
We're considering asking the council if we can keep a few pigs.....  It would be fantastic if we could.
......Sauntered off home just as the air cooled, walking towards a lovely sunset after watering the early sowings of peas (Meteor), onions and garlic, and after moving a couple of overwintered cabbages.

Loving it. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5619 on: March 11, 2012, 16:15:08 »
I don't like being an early bird but I could just not let this fine weekend come and go, so in went my onions along with a new Gooseberry bush in my fruit cage which only cost me £3.00 from a local nursery, the last one I had off them last year was a cracker and gave plenty of red goosegogs, prepared several grow bags for when I get my toms, just want to get done what I can before Easter because it's three days up in Snowdonia with my new GPS, :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal