Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875750 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5580 on: February 29, 2012, 23:15:54 »
Brought the stacking tables into the greenhouse and sowed mostly flower seed under lids and then fleeced them all for a bit of extra warmth.

Ninnys

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5581 on: March 01, 2012, 00:27:09 »
I really must escape to the plot - there's always someone who wants something doing.

Today the front garden had the finishing touches to a complete overhaul. Personally I'd sooner be busy on the plot.  ::)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5582 on: March 02, 2012, 17:40:01 »
Been busy collecting and ferrying planks today to the plot.. Scaffolding planks for pathways, other 3x2 planks for making a lean to roof structure to use as a storage area, pallets and other timber offcuts to burn to collect ash to use as Potash. before you say beware of the nails from the pallets .... I do have a large magnet to remove them !!  :D  More to be collected tomorrow and then dig and plant my 420 onion sets.. eeks ... Yes we do love onions!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5583 on: March 02, 2012, 18:06:15 »
Refurbished raised pallet Carrot bed,now reseeded.
same to 2 x plastic containers.

assembled whole bean frame and positioned over newly dug compost trenches.

Scrubbed pathway and nooks and crannies in GH,all glass cleansed.....spit spot !!!!!!!

Topped off 2 of our comp bins with 10 bags of horses doofers,covered and left to cook !!!!

Bizzy 3 hours this sarvo  !!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5584 on: March 02, 2012, 18:42:31 »
On Thursday I completed my strawberry bed transplanting 72 plants in all. It was meant to be 6 x 12 plants but I got carried away! Hope the netting is big enough.  ::)

DATA311

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5585 on: March 02, 2012, 18:43:08 »
I dug, then dug a little more, then for the hell of it I thought I would dig some more.... :D
It is a new plot for me, only given to me at the end of January, so there is a fair amount of digging to be done.......... :D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5586 on: March 02, 2012, 18:49:43 »
I dug, then dug a little more, then for the hell of it I thought I would dig some more.... :D
It is a new plot for me, only given to me at the end of January, so there is a fair amount of digging to be done.......... :D

Once you get the hang of it and work up a good rhythm it's amazing how much you can get done... especially if the soil is good.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5587 on: March 03, 2012, 18:45:54 »
Not very much done today except sown some of Jeannine's tomato seeds she very kindly sent.

Paid allotment rent and water. Drove 20 miles to call out AA man to see to my car as we thought the starter motor was jammed, only to be told battery was not holding it's charge so had to buy a new one. Had photos developed for Spring Show photographic section.

I'm hiding my purse tomorrow and staying in the greenhouse  ::)

Ninnys

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5588 on: March 03, 2012, 18:52:01 »
Big day planned for tomorrow as I had a quick business meeting with colleagues today that lasted 5 hours...

oh boy ... but we achieved a lot..  I did manage to collect 5 pallets i had spotted going free the other day and deliver to the plot - then it rained so I came home..

So tomorrow i have a pile of timber and about 8 pallets to burn to make a pile of ash to use on my onions. So whilst the burn is going on i'll dig and prepare the onion patch and get them planted... all 420 of them!! Then when the coals cool down i'll sprinkle all over them and wait for the rain to do it's thing..

I also want to get more flags down by the shed..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5589 on: March 03, 2012, 18:53:17 »
Moved potting station into greenhouse, awshed an epic number of module trays, had a bit of a clear up generally and after clearing the over-winter roots bed I topped up its soil with the big pots form the potatoes last year... they'll get refilled from the pepper bed in the GH, the pepper bed from the tomato bed and the tomato bed with bought-in topsoil/compost mix form the council scheme...

chrisc

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5590 on: March 03, 2012, 19:23:50 »
Planted out 190 yellow and a few red onions today.   8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

DATA311

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5591 on: March 03, 2012, 23:41:43 »

Once you get the hang of it and work up a good rhythm it's amazing how much you can get done... especially if the soil is good.

Its quite hard work as the ground has not been used for a few years, but we are getting there.......... ;)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5592 on: March 05, 2012, 18:29:41 »
Not enough done yesterday due to the rain, sleet, hail and a bit of snow.. I still managet to dig half the onion bed 4x2 mt and planted 12 rows..  now will wait a month or so before planting more.. I couldn't get my pallets burned down to make potash either.. maybe next visit.

Next is to get the Strawberry bed dug and prepared so I can toke my plants that are waiting at home to be planted out.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5593 on: March 05, 2012, 19:34:25 »
Transplanted calabrese, sowed beetroot and the first 2 of my pre chitted parsnips , weeded around the onions, I'm amazed how many annual weeds are already showing their heads  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5594 on: March 06, 2012, 17:13:40 »
After the working party yesterday we hadn't got much energy left so went up this afternoon and finished putting the spuds in . Sowed some parsnip..
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pumkinlover

« Reply #5595 on: March 06, 2012, 18:56:42 »
After the working party yesterday we hadn't got much energy left so went up this afternoon and finished putting the spuds in . Sowed some parsnip..

That made me smile Shirl- what do you do when you HAVE got some energy left ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5596 on: March 06, 2012, 20:01:50 »
Planted a few pot grown Shallots.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

DATA311

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5597 on: March 06, 2012, 22:19:18 »

done some more digging today, is there no end to it............. ???
Dug through the raised beds that were built by the previous occupant, on digging, I discovered masses of white root which appears to couch grass, looks like it could be a bit of a headache............... :o

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5598 on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:11 »
I cut the grass for the first time this year - two gardens looking neat and trim.  :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5599 on: March 07, 2012, 16:56:51 »
Too wet to dig today...

So I delivered some poly carb sheets I found in a skip (I always ask) and made 2 kneeler pads from kids toy jigsaw type foam matting from the same skip..  Also found a fiberglass hole cover like contractors use to cover holes and trenches so you can walk over them - so cut it into 2 and made kneeling boards for using when planting and pulling weeds.. also covered them with the foam matting. So i can now burn the old bit of rotten plywood I was using to kneel on.!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal