Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875053 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5560 on: February 26, 2012, 13:55:35 »
Dreaming of being on my allotment (where I should have gone early this morning  ::)) but "we" have been to the garden centre for some allium bulbs and arrived home with six pots of shrubs instead.  :-X   

On the plus side I did manage to cycle home with 3 lots of 75l of compost for £12 as well as the shrubs.

This afternoon "we" will be putting most of the original shrubs back where they were before "we" dug them out and adding the new ones.

Thank heavens for sunshine

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5561 on: February 26, 2012, 16:31:42 »
Had a good weed and tidy up, cut down and mulched the autumn fruiting raspberries, cleared my last years roots  bed so had carrots and celeriac to harvest. Sat in the sun for a bit and saw my first honey bees of the year and then cut down my herb patch a bit much to the disgust of the ladybirds!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #5562 on: February 26, 2012, 16:59:10 »
Drank my coffee & read the papers.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5563 on: February 26, 2012, 17:36:36 »
Made my Runnerbean frame.....had to coppice out the branches from the Hazel bush first to make the poles ..then dig the holes....then find the string...and then find the bean net ..and then spend ages unravelling and stretching it around...and trying to get it to reach the ground ..which (as you all know ) it never does ! Any way job done and looking good even though still too early to sow runners .
Also spent hours weeding out the buttercups and hairy bittercress from the veg beds...I cant believe how fast that stuff grows,flowers ,n,germinates !  :o
Trespassers will be composted !

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5564 on: February 26, 2012, 18:00:12 »
Tidied up the house garden and took two bags to the allotment compost heap.  Had a wander, mentally planned the rebuild of the fruit cage that this year collapsed under the weight of less than an inch of snow, but took everything that last year threw at it - go figure ???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5565 on: February 26, 2012, 18:32:02 »
Finally got the potatoes in the hot bed for Kev's challenge, planted out some verbena bonserias? sp in the fruit beds to bring in the bees. Transplanted some golden cherry tomatoes for my neice's plot, weeded the leek bed and raked over one of the other beds  ;D

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #5566 on: February 26, 2012, 18:47:04 »
Isuppose that should be 2012 manics and I haven't had a drink today, it must have been the shock at losing to Whales in the rugger.   :'(
I can't think why you should be in shock at losing to the Welsh Kev. ;D  Nothing new there mate.    :P

Sowed a few seeds to raise in the greenhouse then transplant to the allotment. Some Cabbage and a tightly-packed small silver-paper container of leeks. I'm sowing them like grass and will sort out /untangle the roots in a bucket of water in a few weeks when they are large enough and the soil is warmer.

FORGOT to 'plant' the early spuds for my no-dig challenge to Kev's Potato Competition, but you can bet I'll be down there in the morning to place it under the straw and cast my magic spell....
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5567 on: February 26, 2012, 19:10:04 »
Weeded through the garlic,put the roller over the brassica bed and tidied the storage compound, all enjoyed under a beautiful blue sky and sun on the back  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 19:11:54 by Lottiman »

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5568 on: February 26, 2012, 22:25:07 »
Weeded the fruit plot and watered in a feed of bf&b around the blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes and a little under the grapevines. It's said not to do it too early but with the warm and dry March predicted, hedging my bets whilst the soil is damp underneath.

Lost half of my globe artichokes when I cleared the dead leaves away, hoping a few shoots might pop up from the roots, if not I'll have to dig those out and sow some more.

Raked over the veggie plot where there were slight cracks on the soil already  :o

Put in one lot of Sturon and red onions yesterday, none pulled up by the birds today  :D

Need to get one of my wheelie bins up to the plot soon to empty into the bean trench, the other is still producing feed so that will have to wait.

Ninny

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5569 on: February 26, 2012, 22:37:42 »
We were weeding ,O H cut the grass paths,I hoed the garlic bed and gave them a wee feed of liquid sheeps necter,it stinks so it must be good ;D picked sprouts and a masive leek for soup ,O H also turned the compost bin,coffee&bickys did 4hrs it was lovely. 

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5570 on: February 26, 2012, 22:45:08 »
Been really busy... I dug and dug and dug... and barrower and barrowed and barrowed...

Dug the pile heaped of soil and dumped in the lower section of the plot - cant work out why there was a pile of soil there!!

Dug and prepared the new garlic bed. Took my pre-planted garlic to the plot and got them all planted - 4 rows, 104 plants... maybe a few toooo many?

Covered the IBC storage tank with a builders bag to stop the inside going green..

My Garlic... It seems so good and changed sense of feeling of owning my own plot now that I have planted something!!

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5571 on: February 27, 2012, 15:08:15 »
Put a brand new lock on my shed as some bar steward cut the lock off and nicked my tools  ??? that's fairly mean in itself but why did they have to cut the top off my 4 year old orange tree off... :'(

Anyway on the upside found fab lock which hides the screws and has a big key all from Wickes for the bargain price of just over a tenner! it's called the Locking Gate Hasp -Product Code: 159676  ;)

and even better news is that there is a couple of nobbles on the orange tree which I think could be branches, anyway orange tree now outside the back door for safe keeping. ;)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5572 on: February 27, 2012, 16:56:39 »
I planted the first onion sets and the first early spuds, and sowed a bit of radish and spring turnip (Never grown that before!). My neighbour kindly gave me some strawberry plants (more!!!) and a few thyme seedlings that had self seeded on his plot. Bless him. I also had a biscuit with the other neighbour which is a first time occurrence!
I have managed to keep the plot fairly tidy over winter so I just have to make regular efforts in the next few weeks and it will start looking good!
@Ninnyscrops : artichokes sometimes look completely exhausted by extreme winter cold but don't touch them, once it starts warming up you will see new shoots coming up, during March usually.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5573 on: February 27, 2012, 19:32:37 »
@Ninnyscrops : artichokes sometimes look completely exhausted by extreme winter cold but don't touch them, once it starts warming up you will see new shoots coming up, during March usually.

That's what I'm hoping for too, Antipodes.  I've grown them for some years but even after last year's harsh winter more shoots seemed to survive than this winter. There are a few shoots up on other roots so all is not lost. Fingers crossed.

Ninnys  :).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5574 on: February 27, 2012, 20:57:55 »
Transplanted more sweet peas, thats 24 buckets so far but, as we sold 50 last year, we've a long way to go .
Helped the special needs group to transplant their cabbages, one of their teachers has died suddenly so there wasn't any enthusiasm to do much, been a funny old day, what with our mate coming over, too  :-\
Transplanted some bits of rhubarb into pots to sell, Ray finished off the spuds in the poly border with some Lady Chrystl  :)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5575 on: February 28, 2012, 23:28:48 »
Pruned the hydrangea back to good buds, we can now get in the garage easily again! Struck the top growth, after taking off the dried old heads, in pots for next year's plant sale.

Checked over and pruned last year's cuttings ready for this year's sale together with some potato vines (Solanum Crispum Glasnevin) and repotted a few lavender plants.

Ninnys

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5576 on: February 29, 2012, 15:58:10 »
Planted 4mt of double row peas in sections of guttering to get some earlys going in the greenhouse..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5577 on: February 29, 2012, 20:48:01 »
Messed with the new watering system in the poly. Sowed turnips, radish and spring onions. Hope to get them up and done before the cues go in.Put the peas out yesterday

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5578 on: February 29, 2012, 21:15:34 »
Weeded , weeded and weeded , damned Nettles this time (my poor hands are stinging ! ) , raked it all over nicely , sowed Tender And True Parsnips and French breakfast Radishes . A glorious warm sunny day here in Cornwall today..got two loads of washing dry too .  :)
Trespassers will be composted !

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5579 on: February 29, 2012, 21:34:49 »
I'm exhausted from working hard on my plot, but it is still very wet here in Lancashire.I've weeded, dug some raked others and covered most beds hoping it will warm it up. shallots went in, but found more in hut so maybe tomorrow I will have time to plant more. I'm not starting any thing off early this year in the green house I am going to wait until the weather really starts warming up as I've found they soon catch up with those that are started earlier. Hope you all enjoyed your day on your allotment no matter what you decided to do today.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal