Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873005 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5420 on: January 26, 2012, 18:00:51 »
Dug. I came home with my back aching, but fortunately I know when to stop, and its OK now.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5421 on: January 26, 2012, 18:17:25 »
Had 10 strawberry runners from garden centre, not really into to them but the children always ask for them. So this time they will have there on small plot to do something. Caulis,Cabbage,s and swedes are all up in the greenhouse. Seed Potatos came yesterday they are in the back room chiting. End of next week will start Toms and Cucumbers
m j gravell

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5422 on: January 27, 2012, 09:29:11 »
GC thats a fantaistic looking new area youve made so much progress. Have plot envy.

Did the tour and thrillled to see things shooting and fattening up out there . I planted the onion sets in trays put the charlottes in to chit and caved in and sowed 5 seeds of 5 tom varieties for some early plants in the propagator

Windowledges are now spoken for until april!!
x Sunloving

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #5423 on: January 27, 2012, 16:38:48 »
Did a bit of weeding and general tidying up, I have had plenty of spare time over the past few weeks and have done all the hard work on the plot ready for our first full growing season  ;D

Harvested; two January King cabbages, some leeks and cavolo nero

Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #5424 on: January 27, 2012, 17:18:42 »
where are you to get lovely dry soil like that mines a mud bath  :o :o

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5425 on: January 27, 2012, 17:42:45 »
Had a busy busy today at the plot.. I fitted my IBC 1000 Lt tank to harvest rainwater from the shed and greenhouse.. Also finished the foundations for the greenhouse to sit on - just to the right of the new tank. All going well tomorrow I'll fit the GH in it's spot.!!  ;D

your new plot looks brill Gavin ,were did you get the monster tank from? it look great was it expensive? sorry for being nosey.i would love a weebit smaller one ! I look farward to your posts of your progress happy digging ;)

your new plot looks brill Gavin ,were did you get the monster tank from? it look great was it expensive? sorry for being nosey.i would love a weebit smaller one ! I look farward to your posts of your progress happy digging
[/quote]

Hi Claybasket - I got the tank from a customer of mine.. My eyes and ears are tuned to Radio Lottie at all times.. If I spy something I may need or could use - I ASK..  They come in 500 Lt and 1000 Lt I think.. Mine is 1000.. Look in your local freecycle  - I see them in ours occasionally.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 17:45:20 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5426 on: January 27, 2012, 17:44:20 »
Not at the plot but been making my plans for the spud patch.. our potato day tomorrow so my shopping list is being made. Going to try a few different types to see what grows well on the plot. I spoke to some neighbours but they weren't very forthcoming about varieties that do well so got to do some trials..  Oh and I need 400 onion sets as well.. that'll see me through for the year!!

Thanks to everyone for the remarks about my plot.. I do really enjoy it and once the big works are finished I can get digging when the ground conditions let me.. Then a full plot of veg will spring up.. cant wait  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 17:47:43 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5427 on: January 27, 2012, 17:50:13 »
Went and had a look about 1pm It was freezing called into the pub had a swift pint of lager and went home told O/H forgot my keys :P ;D
m j gravell

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #5428 on: January 27, 2012, 18:36:16 »
where are you to get lovely dry soil like that mines a mud bath  :o :o

Southend, Essex - I think that picture makes it look drier than it is, lets say it's nicely moist - definitely not a bog  ;D
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5429 on: January 27, 2012, 19:06:40 »
Shifted some more compost
Weeded and cleared the front of the plot where the runners go.
 :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5430 on: January 27, 2012, 21:14:07 »
Potted up the rest of the chitted potatoes. Found the best window spots for the onion and potato seedlings, admired the hard work done yesterday in renovating the raspberry bed, covered the peas in the poly which seem to been found by a small creature :(rescued the broad beans and hope the sleet has blown over by tomorrow.
BTW our soil over here in the east certainly isn't waterlogged and we worked hard on it yesterday ;D

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5431 on: January 28, 2012, 18:15:44 »
Had a great day at our potato day...

I only bought 2 extra packets extra to my list I wanted and had to substitute 2 others for a different variety to my list as they had sold out on some - and I was there before official doors opening time as well!! ..

As I dont know what will grow well I got to test myself.. @ £1.50 for 15 tubers I cant complain!! Soooo I bought a pack of each..

Pentland Javelin
Wilja
Maris Peer
Nicola
Charlotte
Saxon
Nadine
Sante
Red King Edward
Desiree
King Edward
Pink Fir Apple
Cara

My spuds are now going to take up about a 1/4 of the plot.. 10mt x 5

Oh and I got 6 packs of onion sets!!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5432 on: January 30, 2012, 17:23:37 »
What no Kestrel,  :o and thats a hell of a lot of onions Gavin.    :o   :D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5433 on: January 30, 2012, 17:32:17 »
Went to the allotment and did some weeding, it was easy to dig today, but my feet got cold so I came home.  Not many people to chat to.  Compost coming on 17 Feb so will try to get up then.  Can't wait until the evenings get lighter and it gets warmer (but not too warm for digging). Dug up two baby leeks (they don't seem to be growing much, but will see if they get bigger, did plant 100 from seed).

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5434 on: January 30, 2012, 17:36:01 »
we collected rents in person for the first time this weekend,was great seeing everyone after the winter...most bought seed potatoes too and started work all excited.Shame the council are saying they will be getting rent direct from each plotholder from next year as we had a great weekend catching up with each other. Oh,and completely cleaned my shed too,failed in egtting OH to do his though  >:( >:(
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5435 on: January 30, 2012, 17:58:17 »
Potted up my toms ready for the seed to be sown this week, Cucumbers will be sown as well. A lot of flowers seeds to be sown this month so must get on with that . Swede cabbage cauli,s all got all got 4 leaves on them local primary school should do well this year. Leeks are up about 5" but only done enough for myself this year could not give them away last year. Potatos are happy in the back bedroom  should be ready to plant out begining of march ;)
m j gravell

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5436 on: January 30, 2012, 18:06:43 »
Dug over the spud area ready for the off
Started digging out 1/3 of the strawberry's and will start respacing them out in the clean bed.   :D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5437 on: January 30, 2012, 18:31:53 »
Took the kitchen compost and just walked around and had a look at all the other plots.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #5438 on: January 30, 2012, 19:48:52 »
I just walked round it and tried to stick my finger in the soil, it was frozen solid and so was I so a went in and had a cup of tea.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5439 on: January 31, 2012, 16:56:30 »
Finger, I always use my bum.    :o       :P     ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal