Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874899 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5400 on: January 21, 2012, 17:55:37 »
Had a busy busy today at the plot.. I fitted my IBC 1000 Lt tank to harvest rainwater from the shed and greenhouse.. Also finished the foundations for the greenhouse to sit on - just to the right of the new tank. All going well tomorrow I'll fit the GH in it's spot.!!  ;D

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5401 on: January 21, 2012, 18:14:00 »
 Took cambourne7's advise and built a new compost bin from pallets to let the leaf mould rot down more..

Thanks for your help cambourne7  ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5402 on: January 21, 2012, 18:33:31 »
Looking good Gavin, when your finished there's a few jobs doing around mine.   ;)
I did some digging, weeding and clearing up, and mixed the compost bins.  :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5403 on: January 21, 2012, 18:39:29 »
Planted out some garlic I had in pots, made up an eke for one of my broodboxes, and did some pottering. My back's not up to hard labour right now.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5404 on: January 21, 2012, 18:51:02 »
Sowed some more sweet peas, sowed 2 kinds of salad mix and a pinch of wild flowers to see if they germinate. cut back the manky bits on the rest oof the herbs and disposed of quite a few slugs which had taken up residence in my red bergamot cuttings in the poly  :-\

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5405 on: January 21, 2012, 19:13:03 »
Dug up my Félicité Perpétue climbing rose in my garden and shifted  it to my friend's allotment. Gosh I'm aching all over ... so many roots!

I was pleased to see that onions, garlic, shallots, broad beans, peas and overwintered brassicas are all doing well. Picked up the stuff redistributed by the recent gales. It was pretty windy today so I didn't hang about for long!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5406 on: January 21, 2012, 19:27:07 »
My overwintered broadies are a failure again; one remains alive, and it's looking pretty tattered. If I'm right in thinking waterlogging is a factor, then raised beds should help; they're one of my priorities for this year.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5407 on: January 21, 2012, 20:39:25 »
Had a picker about and giving serious thought to turning our back garden into a wild flower mini meadow :D I've got the wild part taken care of already! ;D Wouldn't take that much planning as the garden's so small anyway but I do love to look at wild flowers :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 20:42:34 by SamLouise »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5408 on: January 21, 2012, 21:18:05 »
I can't be a.......to put in overwintering broad beans. I start mine off in early spring and always get a good crop.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5409 on: January 21, 2012, 21:35:40 »
My broadies are in root trainers[how posh is that ;)] hardening off in the garden but I've snugged them in the poly tonight in case they get broken by the gales. Going out as soon as I've managed to fix up [ie stain] the raised bed for them.
They say Sutton are good for windy sites! First time I've tried 'em so we'll see. Nothing like a good estuary wind tunnel for a test run.. ::)
Main crop of Windsors'll go in later

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5410 on: January 22, 2012, 08:28:44 »
Emptied 9 bags of donkey poo into the compost bin and covered it with some straw that was left from last year.
Fed the robin his mealworms.
We dont go more than once a week now cos there isn't that much to do now we only have 1 plot but he is still there when we do go. He had his lady friend with him  this time.
We will be glad when things start growing so that we have more to do. I miss the excercise.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #5411 on: January 22, 2012, 10:17:35 »
Only just looking at this page. Gavinjconway - that is some shed!! We are only allowed a 6' by 4' shed so thats my excuse for not having anything as brilliant as that. Looking forward to pics of the greenhouse.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5412 on: January 22, 2012, 11:09:21 »
Still to wet here will clean some pots ready for planting
m j gravell

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #5413 on: January 22, 2012, 13:57:42 »
still too wet for digging here. Tried a bit, but was 6 inches taller within 15 minutes, so gave up and gave the shed a long overdue tidy out. ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5414 on: January 22, 2012, 21:50:15 »
Only just looking at this page. Gavinjconway - that is some shed!! We are only allowed a 6' by 4' shed so thats my excuse for not having anything as brilliant as that. Looking forward to pics of the greenhouse.

The shed is 7x5 and the GH is 8x6... our limit is 8x8 I was told by someone..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5415 on: January 22, 2012, 21:51:58 »
Another busy day today. Fitted the greenhouse in its place. Then deeply dug and turned the soil in the GH (no glass fitted yet), then added manure mixed with shavings and fertilizer and dug it all in.  Then started to shift the extra soil adjacent to the GH outside on the pathway that will be flagged once cleared.. My back aches today!! My plan is to grow directly in the ground so all the big dig and preparation.. Worms please do your thing...

GH fitted - Manure with shavings added..

Shovelled more soil in from the pathway

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5416 on: January 23, 2012, 07:34:44 »
Your set up looks the bees knees
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5417 on: January 23, 2012, 09:25:32 »
Your set up looks the bees knees

It's getting there...   Still got a lot of digging to do when the ground dries and is ready for digging. Although where I was digging in the GH and pathway yesterday it is fairly friable and only damp once you get below the sticky 2" on top..   But still got some other works to be done first... flagging and making a storage area lean to behind the shed.. watch this space. ;D

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5418 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:35 »
Had a busy busy today at the plot.. I fitted my IBC 1000 Lt tank to harvest rainwater from the shed and greenhouse.. Also finished the foundations for the greenhouse to sit on - just to the right of the new tank. All going well tomorrow I'll fit the GH in it's spot.!!  ;D

your new plot looks brill Gavin ,were did you get the monster tank from? it look great was it expensive? sorry for being nosey.i would love a weebit smaller one ! I look farward to your posts of your progress happy digging ;)

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5419 on: January 25, 2012, 20:02:10 »
Finished spreading manure on the legumes patch, (late, I know); weeded half the brassica patch, and burned some of the frame from the greenhouse that I'm taking down.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal