Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874999 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5360 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:36 »
Put the Christmas tree out..................

That's just reminded me. We didn't have a tree at all this year so I will miss putting one through the shredder. I love the smell and look forward to doing it. Makes decent compost too when added in with everything else.

I hope yours survives for another year Ninnyscrops.  ;)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5361 on: January 03, 2012, 23:12:43 »
It was the first big fully rooted tree we'd ever bought, the other one we planted was a mere 18inch high, and must admit no lovely pine smell in the lounge this year  :( I suspect we only get that from cut ones.

Picked it up three times today as that wind was having a wonderful time in the garden!

Ninnys

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5362 on: January 05, 2012, 04:11:43 »
It was the first big fully rooted tree we'd ever bought.........

..............Picked it up three times today as that wind was having a wonderful time in the garden!

Ninnys

We once had the same problem (3 trees in tubs) but overcame this with hefty chunks of paving slabs on the top of the tubs as well as keeping the base weight up by watering well.

The trees are doing well even after several years.  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5363 on: January 05, 2012, 13:02:06 »
well i looked out the window at my vegi beds (does that count) bit 2 windy to go out the door :)

Leeks are now the size of pencils, b.sprouts have appeared on the stem and the size of peas plus some of my cabbages are now bulking up. Cant quite see the final bed but suspect no carrots or parsnips as the local cats have been playing in the soil after i sowed the seed :( there is lots of beetroot (bulls blood) and some nettles which i have dug out and sprayed but it keeps coming back :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5364 on: January 05, 2012, 13:11:10 »
Gave the lottie a miss today and lurked behind the hedge in the garden.

I do hate digging out the bind weed. 

When did you sow the leeks for them to be pencil sized now?

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5365 on: January 06, 2012, 17:42:19 »
Building a new raised bed for asparagus this afternoon  :)

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #5366 on: January 06, 2012, 18:03:06 »
replaced a pane off glass in the greenhouse got broken in the wind
 and was suprised by how tall the leeks are,then lunch at the garden centre
and just had to buy some seeds(can never have to many)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5367 on: January 06, 2012, 18:48:25 »
A bit of digging, and finished sorting out the raspberries. There's a tree down across the lane, and a large sheet of corrugated in the stream. Fortunately it was too big to go round the corner by the bridge and block the culvert, or we'd have been in dire trouble.

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
« Reply #5368 on: January 08, 2012, 16:04:16 »
Split my rhubarb and moved the results to (hopefully) better locations around the plot. Stood back and admired the garlic which has now broken the surface. Stood back and scowled at the spring cabbages  - I've not had a good year with Brassicas.

compostbin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5369 on: January 08, 2012, 16:25:58 »
 ;D......got, a little winter digging & weeding done,...have been dis-abled......just about ALL MY LIFE,..was diagnosed with M.S,.when just 36. am now in my early 50'shad been managing to walk with elbow crutchs,..but have severe balance problems,...causing falling over all the time,..so now have to use a motorbility scooter,...which i find to be absolutly  FANTASTIC,....brought home a little purple sproating brocoli for dinner...roll on the spring!! 8)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5370 on: January 08, 2012, 16:38:05 »
We dug the rest of the leeks up to freeze just in case we get some really bad weather. Twas so nice up at the plot that we have decided to go again tomorrow
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5371 on: January 08, 2012, 17:17:09 »
Been clearing a rough / dumping patch at the back of my plot for the last couple of days, been like it for donkeys years so all the old timers say :o,
 Now that's done I'm going to move my shed etc on to it tomorrow  witch will give me an extra 7x4 meter plot of land to grow on, I know its sad but so excited about the extra growing land ;) ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5372 on: January 08, 2012, 17:28:35 »
Watered the sweet peas which have been pinched out already and are going mental  ;D
Did a stock take in the big storage shed before the new stuff comes, cleared all the communal pots and trays into 3 wheelie bins with no wheels and splits in the side.
Our mates brought stuff for a fry up, we're taking stuff for a stir fry tomorrow, making good use of the communal cadac  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5373 on: January 08, 2012, 18:12:19 »
Dug up some leeks and the last couple of parsnips, then decided the soil was too wet for digging so cleared out the shed. Found a few onions that had fallen off the drying rack.
Had planned to sow broad beans but didn't get round to it. ::)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5374 on: January 10, 2012, 02:17:20 »
Been clearing a rough / dumping patch at the back of my plot for the last couple of days, been like it for donkeys years so all the old timers say :o,
 Now that's done I'm going to move my shed etc on to it tomorrow  witch will give me an extra 7x4 meter plot of land to grow on, I know its sad but so excited about the extra growing land ;) ;D

Sounds a brilliant move - well worth the effort if you have the time.

Enjoy the space  ;)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5375 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:05 »
Thanks Aden Roller, it's all moved now just been up to re-felt the shed roof going to have a cuppa now then back to dig it all over, The Mrs has already said she wants a strawberry bed there :-\
I,m lucky with my job as i work for 3weeks then get 2 weeks off ;) so i get a lot of time up the plot, BUT they are going to be changing the shift pattern in April looks like it will be 4 on 4 off :-\ not so bad but i love my 2 weeks off

Steve.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5376 on: January 10, 2012, 13:46:56 »
The plot is now totally turned over, Raspberry canes sorted, delighted to see rhubarb making an entrance into 2012 :)  dug up leeks bit disappointed not much to shout about but still yummy all the same.  Had a great suprise as I thought my winter charlottes had bitten the dust and there was some survivers well enough for sunday dinner ;D

Had a chat to a few of the fellow allomentors and made a muddy retreat home  ;)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5377 on: January 10, 2012, 14:25:24 »
Got my new compost bin (600 litres!!!!) up, hope now that it doesn't blow away!!! Started breaking up the old one, and still have to sort out the old compost heap but getting there.
The garlic is starting to come through, brilliant! The transplanted artichokes are going great guns, I will have 5 artichoke plants next year!
Now before the first job (planting onions, usually start with shallots end of Feb), need to:
 keep digging over the alium bed,
 Cut down the raspberries,
 keep spreading the manure that is still in pretty big piles all over the place,
 start making compost trenches for the peas which I usually start off in March.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5378 on: January 10, 2012, 17:14:35 »
Two weeks off Steve76...brilliant. Mine works the same but it's 2 hours off.  ::)

Today, in the Little Pink Bungalow's garden I noticed the flipping squirrels had pinched the peanuts put out for the birds. Little r**s... as I was trying to encourage the birds into the garden ready for when my parents move in.

Perhaps they'll like squirrels? ::)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5379 on: January 11, 2012, 18:33:44 »
Well i've now done all the digging on the new patch of land i've been clearing, planted a new strawberry patch there and started to plant a new herb garden as well as my dog who is 1 today :) love's to lay on the herb patch at home and eat them ???
Still got a nice size bit left so going to browse the seed catalog and see what else new for me i can plant there :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal