Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873387 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5340 on: December 24, 2011, 16:00:50 »
Just got back with carrots, snips, a good stick of brussels and a handful of parsely..
d**n soggy underfoot!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5341 on: December 24, 2011, 17:28:35 »
Not been able to do anything for a week since I slipped on the ice last Sunday. Bit fed up about it as wanted to spend the day there today.
Never mind, sent Mr PKL to pick the brussels, I hope he went and got them off the right allotment ;D ;D ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5342 on: December 27, 2011, 00:04:51 »
PKL, hope you will mend fast and hope the brussels were delish.  :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5343 on: December 28, 2011, 17:02:13 »
Ever so busy today... built my rather large upright cold-frame. Used pallet wood and poly-carb roofing (my OH will kill me when she finds out there's no roof left on our conservatory)   ;)

Paved the spot and plonked it on.. then drove some stakes into the ground and screwed it on to protect from being blown away.  Here is the finished product....  still got to clean it up a bit..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 17:43:57 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5344 on: December 28, 2011, 18:17:10 »
Very impressive, Gavin- well done you!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5345 on: December 28, 2011, 18:36:28 »
Still to wet here the more you walk on it the worse it gets washed all my bean sticks in a bleach soak and then washed and rehang in the shed got a new greenhouse stored in there as well but to windy to put up yet.
m j gravell

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5346 on: December 28, 2011, 21:04:02 »
Ever so busy today... built my rather large upright cold-frame. Used pallet wood and poly-carb roofing (my OH will kill me when she finds out there's no roof left on our conservatory)   ;)

Paved the spot and plonked it on.. then drove some stakes into the ground and screwed it on to protect from being blown away.  Here is the finished product....  still got to clean it up a bit..

I still have to work out how to keep the doors closed or open at intervals... may resort to the good ol' faithful brick!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5347 on: December 28, 2011, 21:53:46 »
Just a quick raid for sprouts  and parsnips.  Wind too cold for doing much.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5348 on: December 28, 2011, 22:06:40 »
Not allowed out, but tomorrow hope to go and do loads of weeding and lots of chat.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5349 on: December 30, 2011, 11:47:54 »
Not allowed out, but tomorrow hope to go and do loads of weeding and lots of chat.

I think Saturday will be the day - set to rain Sunday!  :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5350 on: December 31, 2011, 15:44:17 »
Finally planted the shallots I'd forgotten about , weeded the phacelia which had re-grown as it's been so mild and had a fry up and a cuppa and a laugh with our mates while paddling around all the water laying on the paths. Thank goodness for raised beds  ;D

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5351 on: December 31, 2011, 16:16:57 »
Shoping with O/H but managed a hour thisafternoon  scrubed half the green house down with jayes fluid but a good day work still to do Any good cheap grow bags about when you are all shoping give me a shout :)
m j gravell

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5352 on: December 31, 2011, 16:19:46 »
Finally cleared the tomato plants out of the greenhouse  :-[ and filled compost bags with old compost ready to take to the plot.
Washed lots of labels and checked what seeds I need (not many!).

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5353 on: December 31, 2011, 17:23:38 »
Finally cleared the tomato plants out of the greenhouse  :-[ and filled compost bags with old compost ready to take to the plot.
Washed lots of labels and checked what seeds I need (not many!).

Wow - you did well!! It'll be the first time I've left mine over to the New Year.  :(

But I did get down to the plot once more this year!!!!  ;D Did a bit of digging and the place looks OK.
Great to have a few hours free for once.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5354 on: December 31, 2011, 20:11:16 »
Mulched, moved some raspberries, put my planting oca in a large pot full of damp sand. That should keep it going till planting time.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5355 on: January 02, 2012, 12:13:09 »
I'm just back from the lotty after planting my 'Benidorm garlic', but normally this time of year my trench system for taking the rain water away is completely dry just shows the lack of rain here in the East Mids, :)

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5356 on: January 02, 2012, 13:28:46 »
Lovely bright breezy day here in the East Midlands. After yesterdays downpours I was worried it would be too wet to work on, but it was fine.
That's the advantage of having a lovely sandy loam soil over free-draining gravel sub-soil.
Spread some fantastic manure, 1 to 2 inches deep, over about 15sq.m., of this years legume patch. Took a bit longer than I thought as there has been so much weed growth in the last 4 weeks. Don't they ever stop!!
The up-side of the mild weather is that I was able to harvest a big bag of amazing parsley, all fresh growth. I'll chop that and loose freeze it before bagging it up.
Rhubarb shoots appearing already, and garlic showing strongly.

This time last year I was just about to start 4 months of chemo, not knowing what the outcome would be, and not confident of seeing 2012.
I'm looking out at a bright blue sky with some lovely flowering cherries in full bloom. Full sowing program worked out on the laptop for the year
So far so good, and let's hope it stays that way.

Hope you all have a very Happy 2012
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5357 on: January 02, 2012, 18:09:44 »
Hope that means you've turned the corner Pescador. Keep planning for the future!

I spent all afternoon on lottie, cleaning up the strawberry patch, (rather late  :-[)
Picked tomatoes, leeks, parsnips,carrots, sprouts, kale and cabbage, and ate a few autumn raspberries and a tiny "Michaelmas Red" apple!!!!
Still light(ish) when I left at 16.20 Hurrah- nights are getting shorter ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5358 on: January 02, 2012, 18:14:42 »
Picked some leeks, had a good walk around plot 2. Put the cloche over the hot bed, ready for ck's potato challenge  ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5359 on: January 02, 2012, 22:09:35 »
Put the Christmas tree out, it's a rooted one and it did take up a pint of water every other day indoors. Plunged it in a half bucket of water and will empty the surplus in the morning as I don't want to drown it! Next problem is where to plant it as I've already got one in the front garden from years ago.

Watered all the indoor plants with rainwater, I did it just before Christmas but with the heating on they needed another little watering.

Also did the greenhouse plants, but only a miniscule amount except for the PSB in the beds, gave them a good soaking.

Sweet pea seedlings are up and the pelargonium and lavender cuttings have survived the winter, so far.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal