Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872982 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5300 on: November 23, 2011, 14:11:18 »

I did sow a couple of rows of winter broad beans, thinned out my onions, planted some more garlic :) took some photo's
And where are those photos? We're waiting ;D

I have a new iphone still trying to work it out..will get them on the site as soon as I can as I did try to post my sunflower ones too... :-[

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5301 on: November 25, 2011, 16:40:28 »
I cut the darn grass!  Cut the grass for one of my customers yesterday!  Come on mother nature, it's winter.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5302 on: November 28, 2011, 08:08:36 »
Yesterday at last light, a dash to check and refasten the fleece on the radish and salad cloche, which had fallen off after the stormy weather.  Just as well - we had our first proper frost last night.  There have been several touches of ground frost and the squashes vines have been killed long ago, but this is the real stuff, ice scraping on the car included. 

Can't complain, the long autumn meant that our outdoor grapes ripened and that only happens once in a while.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #5303 on: November 30, 2011, 18:46:48 »
It was a beautiful day today, and I had much fun with compost:

1. I spread 10 wheelbarrowfuls of compost all over one of the biggest beds  :D

2. I re-sited my daleks in their new attractively landscaped compost-making area  :) :)

3. I dug up my HUGE triffid-like rhubarb  :o, divided and replanted some of the newer bits with lots of compost.

I now have a massive heap of old woody rhubarb roots (some as big as my arm!!) so (eventually) more compost  ;D ;D

I also have a slightly sore back. Going to take it easy tomorrow.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5304 on: December 04, 2011, 09:38:39 »
Just been to inspect the Garlic up at the lotty, all of it is growing well but only for the Solent Wight, digging down a couple of inches it as a massive root system, obviously not ready to pop its head through, :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5305 on: December 07, 2011, 23:27:58 »
Two days in a row - a quick dash to the plot and back returning with a cycle-trailer full of wallflower plants for the new bungalow. Planted around 50 large and healthy looking plants with soil clad root ball - late but it has been mild so here's hoping they'll cope with the winter.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5306 on: December 08, 2011, 00:25:05 »
wrapped up well as it was tatters down here,found be weeding sponge in the shed,sat down and weeded all the garlic and onion beds....well overdue.
Cleared the GH of all our chilli plants as they are deff coming to an end,that said,the cherry bombs are still fruiting like mad.
sorted through all our seeds in the warmth of the shed and threw away some opened ones and bought the rest home to stay indoors.
Put up 2 x shelving racks in the new poly and zipped it up till needed.

bizzy day  !!!!!!!!!!!!! and bloomin freeeeezin.

Gazza

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #5307 on: December 08, 2011, 08:29:38 »
Braved the weather to finish wiring up the frame for the gooseberries. It was freezin.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5308 on: December 08, 2011, 09:52:54 »
I've just noticed that the potting shed is nearly as damp inside as it is out.  :( I guess it'll need more money to replace the roofing felt. For now it'll have to wait.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5309 on: December 08, 2011, 10:21:49 »
Dashing about to cover precious plants , One pane of glass in the greenhouse roof has slipped and is letting in the rain ! Having to move everything around in there ....cacti and pelargoniums .....cant afford to use the electric heater anymore so covering everything with newspaper  . Oh ! misery ! Drat ! Drat and triple drat !
Trespassers will be composted !

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5310 on: December 08, 2011, 10:32:20 »
With gale force winds rattling round the house we're just tucking up and trying to keep warm!!  :o :o

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5311 on: December 08, 2011, 11:44:32 »
Due to heavy rains I've had a reprieve from digging out too many ornamental grasses with their iron-like root systems.
Cooked an Italian sauce with our dried tomatoes. Next year dry more X 10.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5312 on: December 09, 2011, 19:42:34 »
Did a bit of digging. It's really taking it out of me at the moment, but I have to keep going!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5313 on: December 09, 2011, 22:09:59 »
Not been for a week, the weather has been horrendous. Must go tomorrow to make sure my geranium cuttings are ok and close the polytunnel door, giving -1 tonight  :)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #5314 on: December 09, 2011, 22:21:12 »
Did some digging today and put in two rhubarb crowns that a fellow plot holder kidly gave me. Loooking  forward to lots of lovely rhubarb next year.

Dug over the old potatoe beds again being that the tarp had flown off in the wind, and I found 5 more spuds we had missed. Finally found the AWOL tarp a bit tied up in the brambles near the fencing, thought that had gone forever.

Tomorrows job put the tarp back on and weigh it down better this time.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5315 on: December 10, 2011, 13:20:49 »
greanium cuttings are ok so put them in the mini plastic greenhouse inside the poly and shut the flap on it  ;D
brought some of the stored leeks home, heeling them in in the poly ok so far , been there 2 weeks and just as if I'd dug them today.
Didn't go below freezing last night  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5316 on: December 10, 2011, 15:16:58 »
Stared in horror at a tree than has blown down across the top of my plot. Not much there except for weeds and unproductive goji berry bushes. Are the council obliged to move it? Its a big heavy willow that has brought a lot of elderflower, brambles and ivy down with it.

It's baffling that it went - there are trees all round the field and this is the only one.....

Also dug leeks, artichokes, parsnips and beetroot, and pulled some spinach beet.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5317 on: December 10, 2011, 15:46:46 »
greanium cuttings are ok so put them in the mini plastic greenhouse inside the poly and shut the flap on it  ;D

Will the geranium cuttings survive the winter in the plastic greenhouse which I guess has no heat added? Or do you move them elsewhere?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5318 on: December 10, 2011, 16:34:18 »
Are the council obliged to move it? Its a big heavy willow that has brought a lot of elderflower, brambles and ivy down with it.

If it's a Council plot, they probably are. Give them a ring. Birmingham were out very promptly recently to sort out a tree which blew down across the lane. They're not so quick when it's on someone's plot, but they get there.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5319 on: December 10, 2011, 16:57:20 »

Will the geranium cuttings survive the winter in the plastic greenhouse which I guess has no heat added? Or do you move them elsewhere?
The mini greenhouse is inside the polytunnel, here's hoping we don't get -15 in there, like last year. I'll put fleece over if it gets very cold  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal