Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875006 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5280 on: November 16, 2011, 17:01:22 »
First thing - shredder back on (with sharpened blades) and a pile of shrub prunings ready for mulching a new flower bed.

The I planted up the long bed at my parents place (after the morning chores & doing their lunch). All sprinkled with the hose. (the flower bed.. not my parents)

After that home to cook a joint for their dinner and over to the bungalow to help clear more prunings and trimmings from the long (very long) privet hedge.

Ten minutes sit down here with a coffee then out again.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5281 on: November 19, 2011, 00:52:40 »
Today I eased open the door of the greenhouse in the new garden.

It was like looking into the deepest, darkest reaches of the Amazon (European style). Out sprang some very thick, sharply barbed brambles.

They had completely filled the little 6x8 greenhouse forcing their way out through the roof and even between the frame and the glazing cracking some panes on their way.

Thirty minutes later I had cut and removed enough to be able to step right inside.

A lovely little greenhouse! Three hanging baskets hiding on the floor waiting to be used, pots and pricking out tools, a little home-made staging, a decent watering can as well as a stone path and a blanket of ground-cover weeds.

Obviously someone had worked hard in there over the years. I'm looking forward to getting it back into action again.  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5282 on: November 19, 2011, 09:13:02 »
sounds like you have a new project, Aden  ;D
Yesterday we started our bean trenches and tidied up another bed. Dug up some leeks and heeled them in in the poly, just in case we get freezing weather  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5283 on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:09 »
Had a look at my Garlic yesterday which is coming on nicely, I put another couple of bulbs of Garlic in the raised beds, the rough digging i did the other week is already breaking up, hopefully ready for next year, :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5284 on: November 19, 2011, 11:11:38 »
Got my winter peas out.  Well covered in plastic bottles to keep the voles/pigeons/deer out.  Bit worried I am rather late but  still very mild.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5285 on: November 20, 2011, 16:23:32 »
Harvested endive and winter radish from big cloche and sprinkled a pinch of rocket and cress seed in the empty spaces.  Got red mustard leaves from another cloche and lettuce.  Picked a Babington leek and a huge beetroot and the last few pears.  Transplanted peppers into pots and transferred from the greenhouse to the conservatory, where they hopefully survive winter.  Sorted the last mildewed tomato plants from the greenhouse and put in a compost dalek, then mulched one of the borders with compost from another dalek and a bag of coffee grounds, sowed lettuce and rocket seeds for early production next year.  Greenhouse smells like Starbucks  ;D.  Checked on cold frame and the christmas lettuce and rocket are coming on nicely.  Something else has germinated, but dumbo here has forgotten to note down what she sowed - rocket or mizuna or lambs lettuce most likely - looks like lambs lettuce perhaps, but still too tiny to tell.  Hope it's not just weeds!  Pretty cold and dark now  :(

Did you sow the peas or transplant Digeroo?  Garlic not showing yet, but it only went in a fortnight ago, also shallots.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5286 on: November 20, 2011, 16:46:09 »
Nothing today; the house needed some attention ;) Friday I planted four rose bushes in the new cutting garden and 6 new Joan j's in the new raspberry bed - this one has better drainage and no bindweed (I hope).  Lifted the old woodchip paths and added the now composted wood to the beds as mulch and new woodchips to the paths. Saturday winter pruned the apple trees and created new strawberry beds. Next we will have Maria des bois, marshmallow, darisilette and perfection. Can't wait ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5287 on: November 20, 2011, 21:41:50 »
Raked and mixed Japanese maple leaves with pond algae and excess pond plants plus dirt and added whole mess to compost pile which will be a squash bed.

Started digging out dirt from a berm to lower and reshape it.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5288 on: November 21, 2011, 02:09:12 »

I'd be interested to know what a "berm" is as I haven't the foggiest idea.  ;D

My day was spent sawing and cutting to remove huge heaps of unwanted ivy, undergrowth and a dead fir / pine tree from the back and top (!) of a large shed. This was followed by a very warming bonfire.  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #5289 on: November 21, 2011, 02:35:24 »

I'd be interested to know what a "berm" is as I haven't the foggiest idea.  ;D

My day was spent sawing and cutting to remove huge heaps of unwanted ivy, undergrowth and a dead fir / pine tree from the back and top (!) of a large shed. This was followed by a very warming bonfire.  ;)
A mound of dirt. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5290 on: November 21, 2011, 05:17:01 »
Picked a handful of back garden Tigerella tommies, not many left now.   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5291 on: November 21, 2011, 08:47:52 »
Going to the plot to get our pretty  ;D pictures taken when the man from the council presents us with our Wigan in bloom certificate  ;D
will try not to look like a bag lady  ;D

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5292 on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:30 »
With new spade and fork (other ones stolen out of the shed :'() I spent 6 hours over the weekend weeding, am feeling very tender today :-\

I did sow a couple of rows of winter broad beans, thinned out my onions, planted some more garlic :) took some photo's

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5293 on: November 21, 2011, 13:02:51 »
(yesterday) OH moved the fruit trees,giving them a bit more space as we now have more space,whilst i pegged out where the brassica cage will be moved to,dug it over and gave it a layer of homemade compo.Oh,and picked up the wheel barrow to move it,and a rat jumped out,towards me,I nearly fainted but survived and lived to tell the tale over and over again to all the other women folk,am officially plot heroine for the week!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5294 on: November 21, 2011, 13:28:02 »
nothing to day,never went near the allotment, it all ready for the spring, so will go down now and again to check for breakins ect. and to check my winter onions and garlic.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 13:31:12 by jimtheworzel »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #5295 on: November 21, 2011, 16:48:27 »

I did sow a couple of rows of winter broad beans, thinned out my onions, planted some more garlic :) took some photo's
And where are those photos? We're waiting ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5296 on: November 21, 2011, 17:09:10 »
Barrowed and spread four loads of old grass cuttings.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5297 on: November 21, 2011, 19:10:17 »

Here we are in the middle of windy rainy November.  .  . I continued building the Bar B Q and Pizza / bread oven.  Got to have a bash at making a mould and casting the reinforced frame for the oven doors.    All good stuff.    Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5298 on: November 21, 2011, 20:38:54 »
Still putting carnations and summer flowering bulbs to dry and keep safe ,been cold in the nights but days not to bad. Put some straw around leeks dont know why just told to do so as a boy ;D Picked nice cabbage and swede for diner tomorrow got some broad beans in the freezer so big lunch then a snooze ;)
m j gravell

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5299 on: November 23, 2011, 00:34:51 »
First thing this morning we removed the grass in front of an 8' wide trellis covered with summer Jasmin and lightly forked the soil to make a more easily kept bed.

Mid afternoon I forked through my parents flower bed along their drive, weeded and readied it for planting. Next I lifted several plants to move to their new garden and then the rain set in.

By early evening three large lumps of Lilly of the Valley were safely transported ready for replanting as were two small mimosa trees and a dozen or more columbine (grown from seed a couple of years back).

It's a start.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal