Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873028 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5260 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:48 »
planted up another strawberry bed and moved the blueberries into a new one ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5261 on: November 01, 2011, 16:43:51 »
Planted out the rest of my Winter onions at the weekend
Looks like rats have had my last few Sweetcorn that I was hoping to grow just enough to have a feed on, so I pulled them up and give the ground a quick cultivate
Harvested carrots
Took home my two pumpkins, no prize winners here.  :'(          :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5262 on: November 01, 2011, 16:53:03 »

Transported all the pear branches (that we had to tidy up after breaking due to the weight of fruit) down to the allotment.  With the Jerusalem Artichoke stems and the cut offs from the triple bay compost pallet wood, we should have a nice bonfire in the daylight on the 5th.

"Those in Authority" say we can have a bonfire, but ensure the smoke doesn't bother the locals.  Sensible really.    :)   Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

pumkinlover

« Reply #5263 on: November 01, 2011, 21:03:46 »
Weeded... weeded.....weeded
Tommorrow I will be weeding

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5264 on: November 04, 2011, 02:56:08 »
Stood and watched the rain.... before dasing back indoors.  ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5265 on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:44 »
Rain at the mo, I hope to tip my builders bag of Pentland Crown over the weekend.   ::)   ???   :-\   :D

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5266 on: November 04, 2011, 20:39:55 »
Transplanted some winter density into the poly and pricked out some more into modules. Realised this week that mice seemed to have removed all of my peas sown in the poly. Bright idea of sprinkling crushed mothballs along the trench didn't work ::) Modules for the next lot or guttering in the spring. Down to get some rodent dope to put in garage [where the potatoes are] and poly. When it gets really cold they start to invade the house as well. O the joys of the countryside.......watching the rain. The pansies that had self seeded are twice as big today. They must have been thirsty! ::)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5267 on: November 13, 2011, 20:11:04 »
Well managed to get just over an hour done in the garden today planted up some of the plants i got an wilkinsons in the summer which have all done really well which surprised me as they were no more than 10-15 pence in the about to be binned section.

These have been planted into my large bed in the garden which has been rotivated with sand and some chicken poop and then covered in black membrane and covered in a thin layer of wood chip (large kiddy friendly play bark stuff) which is just there really to keep the membrane weighted down a little.

Trying to empty my mini greenhouse before the really cold weather hits and get the plants in the ground that need to go.

Have a tray of carnations but not sure where i want to put these yet they made a nice display in there plant tray and then inside an old kitchen tray on the garden table with some gravel.

I have also dig some holes and popped a empty flower pot into a few spaces for plants i have ordered as by the time they turn up the ground will be hard or at least pretty sodden so i can get them into some good soil :)

These include from T&M Buddleja 'Flower Power' says dispatch march, Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley Baby' dispatch Feb.

My 2 replacement David Austin roses are soaking for planting tomorrow just have to clear out there new positions as i cant really plant them where i had wanted to as the 1st lot of plants they sent died and roses dont like to go into the places other roses were and i dont know what killed the 1st lot.

This week i need to look at weeding and cleaning out the other side of the garden were all my veggies are. African Marigolds are still going strong and my onions are still in the ground so i need to pull these up and let them dry out for a while in the garage. A lot will depend on the weather and Harriet who has my cold and not really having a nap :(

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5268 on: November 13, 2011, 20:58:53 »
Five hours on the plot - pleased to have achieved quite a lot!

And, while I was away, Mrs Roller chopped her way through a long 8' hedge. You should see the pile of clippings & prunings!!  :o  Brilliant.

Tomorrow I have to ask the neighbour if I can go round to retrieve the pruning shears!  ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5269 on: November 13, 2011, 21:20:17 »
Pulled the roots on the runners
Took net off onions and shallots
Harvested, carrots, s.onions, kale and hamburg parsley
Took home with some stored spuds.
 ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5270 on: November 13, 2011, 21:30:16 »
Re-transplanting, just to keep the plants nervous.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5271 on: November 13, 2011, 21:41:06 »
Dug. Mulched. Potted a score of strawberries.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5272 on: November 13, 2011, 23:58:19 »
Knocked over 5 compost daleks and spread rotted contents and picked out bits which hadn't fully composted yet.  Rebuilt 3 daleks from the old stuff, grass, nettles, rotten apples and torn cardboard.  Quite tired now.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5273 on: November 14, 2011, 05:16:27 »
Have you spread the contents ready for any particular plants next year Galina.    ??? :-\

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5274 on: November 14, 2011, 10:35:06 »
Have you spread the contents ready for any particular plants next year Galina.    ??? :-\

No, just in a general area around the daleks.  My daleks are located directly on the growing area and get moved to places where the soil could do with a bit of improvement.  These particular ones were located on compacted ground, which used to be a path, is very hard to dig and needs organic matter.  When the worms have gone to work and the winter frosts, I hope this particular area will be in much better condition. 

In spring/summer I target compost and mulch around plants or use it to improve soil for a second crop, after potatoes, peas, garlic etc.  I really must get a bean trench going this winter - keep meaning to ....  :(

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5275 on: November 15, 2011, 15:43:44 »
On the weekend, I planted the garlic! Woo hoo! and also about 8 echalotes, just to see what happens (I don't usually over winter those). Tidied up a wee bit, cut down some herbs for drying, generally pottered.

Still didn't see my neighbour to tell him that I took away the artichoke plant he desperately wanted rid of (God did I have a hard time getting it out! My brother helped me, luckily he has muscles, the roots were huge which made me a bit afraid of transplanting it but I just love artichokes.).

I would love to move my compost bin but a bit afraid it will fall apart if I do that! Also it's a bugger to rebuild, and by myself, almost an impossible task.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5276 on: November 15, 2011, 16:13:23 »
Yesterday we had a truly massive bonfire. It was the first we've had this year. Delighted to see the back of an 8' heap of prunings that wouldn't go through the shredder.

Today:-
finished shredding
dismantled and moved a cold-frame

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #5277 on: November 16, 2011, 07:13:39 »
Planted a Bramley and an Opal plum,Heeled in 3 gooseberries and some raspberries until the ground is ready to plant  Laid a brick edge to my cottage garden path. Dug up a couple of parsnips and some leeks and carrots to combine with freezer stuff to make a soup tomorrow.
All in all a good day
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #5278 on: November 16, 2011, 07:39:37 »
Yesterday I finished planting my bulbs, tidied the rest of the empty pots away, , put out my rubbish bag for collection, shut the back door & said I'm ready for winter - the gardening for this year is FINISHED!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5279 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:34 »
It's never finished until snow flies: now comes pruning, shredding, leaf raking, composting and more transplanting if one can beat the freeze.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal