Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873017 times)

pumkinlover

Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5220 on: September 27, 2011, 21:03:33 »
Hmmmm..... I find alsorts of odd things to grow overwintering onions for that reason :(

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5221 on: September 27, 2011, 21:39:12 »
Its a thingy square of wood with metal hinges that slots on top of a pallet, then you can put anoter on top and so on, I'm filling them and using as raised beds, trying to combat white onion rot.    ???

That thingy- wots-it sounds interesting.

Where do you / did you get them from?

I'm wondering if it's similar to the very old, square, hinged bottomless frame that I have 2 of on the plot. They stack together.

It is at a time like this that photos would be so useful

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5222 on: September 28, 2011, 21:03:57 »
I've been mentioning my pallet hold up thingies for quite a while on here and I thought someone would have enlightened me as to to what they are called be now, I got 2 from work and 3 from our site sec, I have no photos and don't know how to post them anyway, they sound like it Aden.
I hoed some weeds in the heat today ready for my onion feed to try and kill the white rot, then will sow some green manure on it.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 21:07:52 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5223 on: September 28, 2011, 22:14:53 »
Its a thingy square of wood with metal hinges that slots on top of a pallet, then you can put anoter on top and so on, I'm filling them and using as raised beds, trying to combat white onion rot.    ???

I use them as a wood store outside the back door!
You couldn't make it up!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5224 on: September 28, 2011, 23:00:47 »

I use them as a wood store outside the back door!

Have you got a photo to share?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5225 on: October 16, 2011, 11:53:01 »
Planted the last of my garlic cut the fruit canes back and the gooseberries, picked what I think will be the last of my Sweetcorn(rubbish this year) pulled half a dozen Leeks to have with my dinner today, :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5226 on: October 16, 2011, 17:10:17 »
planted 2 new dual fruit trees, a mini kiwi and transplanted a blueberry , all into the new fruit cage -to-be  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5227 on: October 16, 2011, 17:20:17 »
planted 2 new dual fruit trees, a mini kiwi and transplanted a blueberry , all into the new fruit cage -to-be  ;D

I keep considering two apple trees similar to my father-in-laws. He planted them when my two children were nippers and named them after them.

The trees are narrow columns and stand just a metre apart. Once knee high, like his grandchildren, now reaching for the sky.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5228 on: October 16, 2011, 17:47:37 »

I cleared out the greenhouse.  I think this winter, I'll remove all glass, clean and store it and let the frost do its duty with the soil in the raised beds.

I planted a couple of pumpkin seedlings in the greenhouse rather than see them 'go to waste'.

Needless to say they took over.  These are the fruits of a mistake.   Roll on halloween.    The bino's are just as a scale guide.     Cheers,    Tony
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

pumkinlover

« Reply #5229 on: October 16, 2011, 18:59:38 »
they look beautiful :D so nice and clean as well

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5230 on: October 16, 2011, 19:12:35 »
Dug up the rest of my Blue Danube spuds yesterday- quite a good crop considering they were in poor soil and never earthed up. Today cleared some weeds and spread hops round my asparagus and artichokes as mulch for protection, and also round my leeks to see if the smell will keep the rabbits off.
Strimmed but found the grass was still a bit too wet after week of rain.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5231 on: October 16, 2011, 20:45:15 »
Digging up Pentland Crown today nearly every one got a slug nibble, never again.  :'( :(

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5232 on: October 16, 2011, 23:10:10 »
Rasp canes all cut down, runners plants cut down and composted (roots left in the ground) seed pods had all dried as far as poss on the vines so in the greenhouse for the final drying.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5233 on: October 17, 2011, 10:34:54 »
Digging up Pentland Crown today nearly every one got a slug nibble, never again.  :'( :(

I find the longer I leave potatoes in the ground the more damage. I try to have all of mine out by the end of September at the latest.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5234 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:34 »
I wrote in my diary to dig out by the end of Sept, but I obviously forgot, mind you going away for two weekends in Sept put me behind.  :'(

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5235 on: October 17, 2011, 17:05:44 »
Have not made it to the lottie for a few weeks due to moving house, the OH say's it's a jungle up there...eeeek, will have to don my wellies and wet weather gear and get my **** up there this weekend.    :-\ ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5236 on: October 18, 2011, 02:05:06 »
I wrote in my diary to dig out by the end of Sept, but I obviously forgot, mind you going away for two weekends in Sept put me behind.  :'(

I know just what you mean. I took early retirement and now spend fewer hours on the plot each week than when I worked full-time!  :(

I am a carer for my parents in their 90s. By the time I actually get a few hours spare I often just want to sit down or catch up with jobs at home. I really must push myself back out to the plot - I love it once I get there. Nothing better for relaxation and a sense of achievement.  ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5237 on: October 22, 2011, 10:40:25 »
Freezing on the allotment this morning pulled up my Sweetcorn picked a few leeks and that's it till next year, :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5238 on: October 22, 2011, 17:55:02 »
Dug up more spuds today and will dig more tommorrow, borrowed some beetroot from my mates plot.   ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5239 on: October 22, 2011, 18:11:42 »
Really nice and sunny dug through another bed, bit behind but gradually getting things sorted.  Watered the sprouts again.  Managed to dig up a few nettles which had crept up on me.  Put some nasturtium seeds to dry.   Frost other night had got the plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal