Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 877213 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5160 on: July 25, 2011, 19:02:03 »
Sorted and bagged up Spuds
Hung up Onions
Laid out Shallots in trays
Watered lottie
Harvested French Beans and Carrots for my tea.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #5161 on: July 25, 2011, 19:18:33 »
you all have so much energy. as l went to tatton park on sunday and caught the sun. but planning to go to my lottie on Tuesday. so there will not be weeds there will be triffid.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5162 on: July 25, 2011, 21:13:32 »
We got our pots out today ,we put them very deep and pulled the soil up over them really high, trying to keep them damp, we go lovely pots some where massive must have go a cwt yee- ha   

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5163 on: July 26, 2011, 13:36:13 »
I dug out the fennel herb, weeded, picked some runner beans, lettuce, beetroots, dug over a patch for my charlottes to go into fed the tomatoes and tied them up again...had a chat to neighbour, compared cabbages .... secretly happy that mine are doing well :)  :) watered damsons.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5164 on: July 26, 2011, 14:03:52 »
weeding watering picking
i don't belive death is the end

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5165 on: July 27, 2011, 18:14:41 »
Hacked hedges, planted out a few kale, picked a few peas. I'm getting a lousy crop from the latter, probably because of the dry weather. The rhubarb's looking miserable as well, but I got a fair bit off it. I've just received a plant of Taunton Deane kale from Goodlife, so that's two out of the three known varieties of Daubenton's. One to go, and it's going to be interesting to see how best to manage the plant.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5166 on: July 27, 2011, 22:14:25 »
Daubenton
 I thought these were bats. ;D

I have just been off with my hair clips to pot strawberry runners and pull at least 50 weeds.  Got some more comfrey and will get some more tea brewing.  Had a chat

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5167 on: July 28, 2011, 19:38:16 »
There is a Daubenton's Bat, and it would be quite something to have it on an allotment site. I think ours are all pipistrelles. I was thinking of Daubenton's Kale.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5168 on: July 28, 2011, 19:51:40 »
We also have bats it is lovely to watch them in the evening, but they are not Daubentons which skim across water to catch the flies, hopefully not enough water on allotments.   Presume that being small they are pipistrelles as well. 

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5169 on: July 28, 2011, 20:28:18 »
Watered the poly and picked some figs. Not much but had 3 injections of steroids in [around]  my spine yesterday and my legs are still a bit wobbly. Hopefully the results will be worth it. :) Not sure whether we have bats here or not. Definitely did when I lived in Scunthorpe but these are relatively new houses  but there must be bats somewhere in the village. Must ask.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5170 on: July 28, 2011, 20:33:06 »
Looked through and checked the 'seed heads' which I have picked and am drying for seed for next year - mostly wild flowers - musk mallow, red and white campion, ox eye daisy, corn marigold, corn cockle, red poppies, salad burnett, cowslips, cornflower, scabious but some herbacious cultivated seed like aquilegia, foxgloves, oriental poppies, dianthus, salsify.  Sowed some of the cowslips and salad burnett seeds.  Also checked how my cuttings were doing - pinks, penstemon, fuchsia, some of the pinks were well rooted so potted these up into individual pots - I took extra cuttings of pinks this year as I had poor results with my cuttings last year, but so far this year I've had around 90% success.
Husband came home from the allotment with yet another lawn mower - he's into 'old vintage and classic mowers' and has quite a collection now - this one is a 14 inch Ransomes Ajax (usually Ajax's are 12" so its possibly rare and a 'non production model' made for evaluation purposes - Ransomes is a local company)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5171 on: July 29, 2011, 13:30:10 »
Just done a tomato, courgette, raspberry and Gage cull....  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5172 on: July 29, 2011, 15:31:56 »
Strimmed, hoed and weeded. Picked a few raspberries and yet more courgettes and a couple of onions. Watered squash and sweetcorn.

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #5173 on: July 29, 2011, 15:36:10 »
Picked 5lbs runner beans, 3 marrows, perpetual spinach, lettuce, raddish and fennel. MMMMM yummy !! ;)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5174 on: July 29, 2011, 16:34:37 »
paint my fence
i don't belive death is the end

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5175 on: July 31, 2011, 18:21:22 »
Got sunburnt as hell while weeding out my cabbages. 

On the plus side, my cabbage bed is beautiful.  On the minus side, I could fry an egg between my shoulder blades. ::)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5176 on: July 31, 2011, 18:42:22 »
Got sunburnt as hell while weeding out my cabbages. 

On the plus side, my cabbage bed is beautiful.  On the minus side, I could fry an egg between my shoulder blades. ::)

Greek yoghurt is fab for taking the sting out
Jackie

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5177 on: August 01, 2011, 11:40:08 »
On Saturday spent 3 hours weeding, picked sweat peas, runner beans, lettuce, 2 cucumbers, 2 large marrows (fka courgettes), got lovely and brown, watered, watered and more watered.

Yesterday approximately half an hour too hot, picked a further 5 marrows, more runner beans, chillies, parsley, beetroot, measured my sunflowers - 8ft tall!! (if I can ever find a way to download my pictures from my phone I will post them) pulled my first 3 carrots...they were massive and had all the amusing knobbly bits on...did a bit of weeding and watering, then went home... :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5178 on: August 01, 2011, 13:42:30 »
bikegirllisa I got sunburnt to if it's any consolation! I was only out 2 hours.. hmm on second thoughts that's quite a lot.
I pricked out lettuces, watered everything, fertilised a few bits and bobs, weeded a bit too casually and picked: 3 courgettes, 4 tomatoes (the first ones! yay!), about 200g of beaut raspberries, some rocket and chives for salad, and a handful of green beans (beans are just s*** this year!!), and stared admiringly at my lovely pumpkins which are doing great. I then looked mournfully at the onions drying in the shed which now have to be tidied and bagged and the spud beds which are overgrown but full of spuds underneath (at least I hope so!).  All that in a tank top in the blazing sun... not very clever for an Aussie, really!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
« Reply #5179 on: August 03, 2011, 21:46:57 »
Spent the whole day treating the hen house for red mite - followed by a good shower!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal