Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875656 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5080 on: June 19, 2011, 12:10:54 »
  A bit of a weeding session, came home with a bag of spuds a cabbage, carrots and beetroot and a couple of red onions which I picked early, should have a bumper session next weekend when the first batch of my Broad beans will be ready, 

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5081 on: June 19, 2011, 21:01:55 »
Yesterday was a bit of a washout so once Harriet was in bed i have got all my seeds out and updated by spreadsheets. Found a load of flower seeds i had not recorded so added them in :)

Well today we had a bit of rain but not a lot which meant the husband was able to pop over and lay a few more slabs in the areas i had already prepared and he managed 17 in 2 hours :) YIPPIE

I also managed to have a clearout in the garage and have unpacked all my gardening stuff (honestly it felt like christmas) found things i though i had lost as well as stuff i need now :)

Week ahead looks like a little more digging (3-4 more slabs worth) the rest of the digging needs to be done when the morter is mixed. I need to go over the garden with yet more weedkiller (begining to wonder if my roundups gone off? does it go off?) and then once i have hoed and cleared the beds its time to transplant over my b.sprouts, cabbage, PSB and sow 2nd lot of parsnip, leeks and beetroot. Then i need to focus back on finishing off the patio and ordering the grass :) Feeling much more positive about the garden although i am sure its going to be at least another 2 years before i am getting it to be how i want it to look :)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5082 on: June 20, 2011, 11:38:02 »
Yesterday, did 2 hours of weeding, planted out my cabbages, dug up my first spuds, got rid of all my bolted lettuces, tied up the sweetpeas again (they are not playing ball!) pulled some rhubarb, picked some gooseberries, went home very grubby, but a lovely day for it.  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5083 on: June 20, 2011, 21:31:00 »
I had a lovely day in the sun! I finished my melon pit, cleared out and rearranged the shed and greenhouse, planted the outdoor bush tomatoes, planted up a wild flower area, watered all the new stuff in and sat in the sun for a bit! Didn't have lunch until 4pm, lost track of time again...... ;D

Oh yeah, and resigned from the Allottment Committee today after 4 years (long story)..... :-X
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5084 on: June 21, 2011, 18:56:19 »
sorry to hear that DebP but sometimes you need to walk away.

Hugs xx

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5085 on: June 22, 2011, 00:37:06 »
today i have got the last of my onions into the ground and now all but 2 of the slabs are down did  more weeding and noticed the peas are going great guns :) might have enough for sunday dinner :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5086 on: June 22, 2011, 05:17:16 »
Harvested onions, shallots, carrots, beetroots and lettuces for the last few days.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5087 on: June 22, 2011, 18:04:13 »
Checked the bees, which are now laying down honey at a rate of knots, cleared a bed ready for planting, and planted out some peas.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5088 on: June 22, 2011, 18:20:18 »
Platted my first lot of Garlic, looks better than what you can buy, :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5089 on: June 26, 2011, 11:49:24 »
Plaited my first lot of Garlic, looks better than what you can buy, :)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #5090 on: June 26, 2011, 15:52:47 »
Picked some salads from the garden and had some peas fresh from the pods with it.
Started a new bench for the garden too. Only 4 foot long though.
Mowed the grass as it is getting to long.
Relaxed and enjoyed my efforts. ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5091 on: June 27, 2011, 09:48:07 »
Yesterday I almost killed myself! 4 hours! before it started getting really hot (37 degC here yesterday!!)
Pulled up the garlic and the early ecahlotes, planted some leftover tomatoes in their place!! lol
weeded a fair bit (OK a huge wheelbarrow full and a lot left on the soil as mulch!!), tied up the tomatoes again and started removing their bottom foliage. picked all the gooseberries, about 2kg, ripped my hands and arms to pieces thorny bardsthards. Ripped out all the peas that are finished now, turned the bed, put in some manure and compost and sowed more French beans (Safari, Cobra climbers). Watered a bit, tidied up in general, dug out about 1kg of early spuds. My legs are torture today!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5092 on: June 27, 2011, 20:55:45 »
I had some spuds and beetroot out at the weekend.    ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5093 on: June 28, 2011, 18:22:59 »
Nothing had a nasty storm here for almost 5 hours thunder, lightening and heavy rain looking at some of my containers looks to be about an inch of rain water collected in most of them.

Looking out the window though i can see rows of onions popping though :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5094 on: June 28, 2011, 18:32:46 »
Finshed digging another bed. Yesterday it was appallingly hot and stuffy; it's better today, but still stuffy. The bees were in a horrible mood yesterday, I couldn't go within ten yards without being buzzed. This is typical in thundery weather. We had a short thunder shower last night, but nothing dramatic.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5095 on: June 30, 2011, 10:07:31 »
OMG, everything has gone mad up at the allotment, my carefully weeded plot which was looking fab before the weekend is now looking like a weed central..how did that happen?? you turn your back for one minute and they are there...so it looks like a several hours on Saturday morning of digging ???, mind you that said and done everything else is coming along great guns, just need to get the plot back on track.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5096 on: June 30, 2011, 21:49:34 »
I've been sorting this lot out..took 6 hrs..Pheww!
[attachment=1]
It is sheep wool.. ;D I was given 2 freshly sheared fleeces and those needed washing and sorting. Now I've got neat bundles of wool to process further and eventually spin it..and knit it.. ;D
All the lovely s****y water was used to water my brassicas.. ;D..they should grow well now..it was bit pongy stuff..
Another good way to use bread trays and insect mesh.. ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5097 on: June 30, 2011, 21:59:29 »
Harvested:  Onions, shallots, beetroot, spuds and a handful of my first runners.    ;D

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #5098 on: July 02, 2011, 04:50:47 »
Not been doing much as am on a bank of nights.
Still there has been good times a plenty, Strawberries big ones, peas podded, beetroot pickled, broadies podded and frozen. Red goosberries are not being touched by anything so all the more for me to eat.
And the second bench has been stained in oak to compliment the other one.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5099 on: July 03, 2011, 19:01:06 »
CLEARED A 15X10 FT BED AND ROTOVATED IT IN READYNES FOR NEXT YEARS GARLIC AND WINTER ONIONS.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal