Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875056 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5060 on: June 12, 2011, 22:52:23 »
Just managed to sneak over for a while and plant out some PSB before it rained.  Watched the rain running down a window pane, reminded me of my childhood.   Realised it does not happen in my house. 

I could hear the grass grow.  Were they the lyrics to a song?

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5061 on: June 13, 2011, 10:02:34 »
Saturday morning popped up did some weeding, picked some gooseberries and the rest of the redcurrents, put some netting up for sweetpeas, fed the tomatoes...looked longingly at my leek seeds to do something - like grow :)

Yesterday I just let the weather do it's stuff... If the forecast is right for this week by next weekend there will be a whole plot of weeds waiting for me :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5062 on: June 13, 2011, 13:50:17 »
WOOHoo

Very excited got Harriet to bed and while MIL listened out for her i have been outside and its NOT raining :) in fact we have blue sky! Spent just over an hour outside

Planted up stuff into bigger pots, chopped back parsley which was going to seed
Painted weedkiller onto the bindweed, chickweed and couch grass.
Dug more soil from the path between my beds so husband can lay more slabs down soil is moist but not claggy or boggy. Used the soil i dug out to fill a large planting sack and planted up the last of my sweet potatoe slips.

Having a cup of tea at the moment and no more rain forcast till wednesday and thursday so trying to get as much done as i can as next dry day is now friday and i am out all friday and saturday so sunday the grounds going to be baked again and if i can get more soil up for slabs before the soil drys out again it will make life a lot easier as i have about 20 more slabs to lay on paths and all the edging stones around the patio to relay as well as the edging stones between the large border and the new grass (when i order it). I also want to turn over the ground where the green house is going dig in some chicken poop and cover with membrane so i can plant up my pumpkins and squashes next week.

If i can get as much done now while i can i can rest up wednesday and thursday.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5063 on: June 13, 2011, 18:43:05 »
Ground to a halt about an hour into the garden the second time today but got the rest of the digging done for the slabs bar about 6 of them had a hot shower and had some fun with Harriet now hubbies home and its almost harriets bed time so fingers crossed we can both get out to the back garden a 3rd time to get the rest of the slabs down before we get more rain it looks a bit dark outside.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5064 on: June 13, 2011, 18:55:17 »
Hey, hey, heavens to Betsy, we are finally getting going, apart from myt greenhouse and disabled raised beds we have nothing in because of the constant rain and the sodden goround. The sun has finally decided to join us..so off Joh ngoes to finish nthe raised beds on the plot, we may even be ready to plant in three weeks LOL It seems to have rained here since August last year.

Yesterday we finally got tomatoes  in Global self watering 5 gallon buckets in the greenhouse, planted more squash in disabled beds etc.

Hey we may even get some bean and beet seeds in this week..wow

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5065 on: June 13, 2011, 19:36:29 »
pulled up lots of garlic and onions that have rot from plot 2, dug up some amazing sized home guard spuds, weeded everywhere, picked some wonderful freesias, my favourite flowers which I always kill and enjoyed the warmer, rain free day  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5066 on: June 13, 2011, 19:44:09 »
sounds productive Jeannine and Manicscousers husband just decided he has hurt his back although it looked fine when he went running for an ice-cream :( so tomorrow i am going to dig over the greenhouse area and get the chicken poop in :) and head to the organic plant place and replace my failed seedlings instead. Hes going to finish work early wednesday and do the slabs then. So i can plant everything friday.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #5067 on: June 13, 2011, 20:11:54 »
Had a lovely time collecting some raspberries, strawberries, redcurrants, turnips & their greens, salad leaves to restock my fridge. Couldnt stay long as the rain has made my arthritis flare up, but still very glad to have the rain ;D

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5068 on: June 13, 2011, 21:11:54 »
I had a lovely afternoon up at the plot!  Today's tasks:

1.  Finally finished weeding out the last raised bed - dug in a lot of compost from the heap, raked and levelled then planted out all of my Tigerellas (14 in total), as well as 10 San Marzanos.

2.  Put in two Marketmore cucumbers and two Mohican gherkins at the other end of the same bed.

3.  Planted out all my sweet peppers (California Wonder, Carnival and Ringo), as well as Hungarian Hot Waxes and a lot of hubby's stupid hot chillies (Facing Heaven, Hy Hot and another one I can't remember).  A total of about 30 assorted plants.

4.  Planted out my butternut squashes, and took a minute to gloat over the bed - four courgettes, three gem squash, three patty pans and two butternuts.

5.  Laughed manically at the dead slugs and snails all over the place (I finally admitted defeat and chucked some pellets around on Saturday).

6.  Tied in my raspberries and planted out two sweet melons (Emir and Cyrano) - although I am not expecting much from them.

Much fun was had today!  Too bad it's back to work tomorrow.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #5069 on: June 13, 2011, 21:59:57 »
Watered toms, cucs and peppers, carrots and beetroot in tunnel. Finally had a days rain yesterday YIPPEE!!! (sunday) which was just enough to put 5 or 6 watering can refills into my butt (ahem!) (usually have to bring 3 jerry can style plastic tubs from home to acheive, this which is a right b****rd sometimes!)
Also did some weeding, but not much - was on dinner break at time so not much time to do owt else.

Looking forward to sat tho - might get this years first kale.

*looks back at own comment?! excited about kale???* Must be gettin' old - Big 30 in 6 days.................
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5070 on: June 14, 2011, 10:33:43 »
woops not sure if i will get much digging today i am a tad stiff (typing hurts haha) and the suns out and dried up the ground again so it will be much harder going today. So might leave Harriet asleep and whilst MIL is here pop to defland nursery (http://www.organicplants.co.uk/) and replace some of my failed plantings and have a potter around the garden :)

Shopping list inc

Fennel (both), Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Beetroot, Courgette, Squash (sunburst and uchiki huri) some early B.Sprouts as i only have mid/late variates, kale (had forgotten about it woops) and some leeks as mine failed to germinate. Might also pick up more runner beans as i have crappy germination here as well!

Will try getting more seeds into soil tonight once i know what i am still missing :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:38:59 by cambourne7 »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5071 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:33 »
Public holiday weekend here so lots of things done.
  • Planted out a dozen Brussel Sprout plants,
  • Tied up all the tomatoes, pinched out side shoots, trimmed them all a little,
  • Sowed another courgette in an empty space!
  • Put a little support up for the melons which are growing well.
  • Sowed Autumn King carrots, Monoruba beetroot, Guernesey parsnips, summer lettuce.
  • Had a mooch to see that the courgettes and cucumbers and squash have also germinated, the French beans are in flower, and the new row has just germinated.
  • Harvested probably the last of the peas, some early spuds (belle de Fontenay, small but healthy and very tasty!), about 2 kgs, and about 800g of raspberries, very big this year! Also some garlic that was struggling, the stems had died. The paper hasn't formed properly inside but the actual garlic is fine. i will just use them now.
  • Oh and removed about 2 huge barrowfuls of weeds!!! Impressive how they grow so fast after just a little rain.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5072 on: June 14, 2011, 13:08:11 »
Potted up chillies and peppers.
Planted out cucumbers, squashes and lettuece, rocket and beetroot.
Tidied around planting table.

ripley

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5073 on: June 14, 2011, 19:30:29 »
woops not sure if i will get much digging today i am a tad stiff (typing hurts haha) and the suns out and dried up the ground again so it will be much harder going today. So might leave Harriet asleep and whilst MIL is here pop to defland nursery (http://www.organicplants.co.uk/) and replace some of my failed plantings and have a potter around the garden :)

Shopping list inc

Fennel (both), Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Beetroot, Courgette, Squash (sunburst and uchiki huri) some early B.Sprouts as i only have mid/late variates, kale (had forgotten about it woops) and some leeks as mine failed to germinate. Might also pick up more runner beans as i have crappy germination here as well!

Will try getting more seeds into soil tonight once i know what i am still missing :)

Well back from shop had a great trip out roof down on car and music blaring and not feeling like a mum for 2 hours hehe shopping was a mixed bag managed to get oregano, thyme, beetroot (variaties i dont have), squash uchiki huri and butternut, 1 courgette, runner beans, salad and some other bits and peices waiting for it to cool down a little to go out and plant everything up.

Woman at shop suggested i give my pumpkins a feed rather than dump them so i will pop a chicken pellet into each pot and water them with some chicken poop tea and see if that perks them up but as there yellow and are tiny but still want to go to flower i am stumped and dont hold out much hope.

Hope everyone else has had a good day :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5074 on: June 14, 2011, 20:17:06 »
Yesterday I harvested
30 spuds
Strawberrys
Raspberrys
Blackcurrants
Onions and shallots

Today
Strawberrys
Raspberrys
Blackcurrants
Lettuce
Watered the spuds, carrots, parsnips, peas and sweetcorn.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #5075 on: June 14, 2011, 21:24:33 »
watering and weeding today,and some chill time in the sun

plots doing good,veg and fruit is on track and some lovely colours and fragrances from the flowers

my daughter loves the strawberries and gooseberries,shes waiting on the peas now,fresh out of the pod lol

was planning my greenhouse move today,will start on it around mid september when the grounds easier to work and i havent a lot else on

will have to move mint and rhubarb with the greenhouse but have a new home in mind,will free up a good space for me

enjoyed today on the lottie

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5076 on: June 15, 2011, 18:19:08 »
dug spuds for tea,harvest garlic and spring onins
had a smoke and a talk then came home

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #5077 on: June 16, 2011, 15:43:08 »
nothing much,just walked up to the veg patch in the rain,turned round and walked back again,our forcast is rain for the next few days.
                                Remember the saying"be careful what you wish for ,you might get it.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5078 on: June 16, 2011, 17:03:05 »
dug rest of garlic, put under cover to dry out

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5079 on: June 17, 2011, 18:41:13 »
Dug up some more Home guard, firkled in the charlotte and kestrel, both a decent size but we have lots of earlies to get through yet. Transplanted some romanesco broccoli, picked more of my freesias and weeded  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal