Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875126 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5040 on: June 08, 2011, 13:13:42 »
Checked the bees, which are fine and starting to lay down a little honey for me. It looks like a showery afternoon at this rate, but I need to get back briefly to pot up Irridium's Ragged Jack, which just arrived.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5041 on: June 08, 2011, 18:16:48 »
Pulled 2 lots of garlic, quite big, considering, some onions that are ready and some picklers that had gone to seed, dug up 2 plants of home guard potatoes and planted a squash, planted 3 butternuts in the poly, letting them sprawl through eveerything, planted some hooligan and a potimarron in the pea beds, transplanted the last of the roma toms and yolo peppers into compost pits in the poly bed. moved the 'hestia and dwarf french beans outside to harden off, pulled up some oriental salad that had gone too far. had a lovely day, dodging all the heavy showers  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5042 on: June 08, 2011, 19:39:16 »
nothing so far very strong winds have died down now so fingers crossed i can get out after i make husband a cup of tea and get dinner on.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5043 on: June 10, 2011, 17:32:28 »
Yesterday I harvested Strawberrys, lettuce, onions and my first beetroot.   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5044 on: June 10, 2011, 18:44:00 »
Weeded and weeded and weeded some more. had'nt been to the plot for just over a week and the weeds have taken over. Did pick the goosegogs that were left after something had invaded them. picked strawberries. lettuce and more beetroot. Finished putting some bedding plants in to keep a bit of colour on the front of the plot
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5045 on: June 10, 2011, 19:02:34 »
took out the rest of the oriental leaves that had gone to seed, sorted the bed and planted webbs wonderful and salad mixes, picked cherries, blackcurrants, strawberries. Making some blackcurrant cheesecakes with last years blackcurrants and a strawberry flan with this years strawberries, all for our communal barbeque tomorrow at the plot  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5046 on: June 10, 2011, 20:22:03 »
Got very, very wet. Picked strawberries, raspberries, lettuce, broad beans, peas, sweet peas, got very wet again.  Forgot my glasses, so got home, changed clothes, has a shower, told OH and he went back and found my glasses near to the fig tree.  Said goodbye to the allotment for a week, and have packed.  Can't wait until Saturday week, and will rush to the allotment and hopefully loads and loads of lovely peas. Heard about the daught, on TV in the bank before I went to the allotment and then the rain and thunder came.  ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5047 on: June 11, 2011, 08:09:41 »
sods law ;D Have a great holiday Borlotti
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5048 on: June 11, 2011, 17:54:39 »
Finally planted out my cabbages and broccoli.  I saw the fat pigeons in a neighbouring tree watching me do this - clearly, the beggars were thinking "yum, cabbage for tea".

HA!  Netted the lot.  Sucks to you, fat pigeons.  ;D ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5049 on: June 11, 2011, 22:39:56 »
all i have managed to do is water by the looks of things out of the 25 pumpkins/squash and courgettes i plants i have zero viable plants they have just all bolted and only had 50% germination rate NOT HAPPY

I have been given a pumpkin by a friend as a gift but the packaging does not tell me what it is (aimed at kids) so guessing a carving pumpkin rather than anything else.

Also noticed some cat (grr) has decided to scratch out some plants from my seed trays so i have lost some as it happened last night and i have only noticed so the plants are dried.

On the positive side i have been given the details of a architect who can do the planning permission for my greenhouse so am hoping to have this in place late feb next year just need to save up.

Mother in law is down so i am hoping i might get a little bit more gardening done this week.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5050 on: June 11, 2011, 22:47:38 »
all i have managed to do is water by the looks of things out of the 25 pumpkins/squash and courgettes i plants i have zero viable plants they have just all bolted and only had 50% germination rate NOT HAPPY

I have been given a pumpkin by a friend as a gift but the packaging does not tell me what it is (aimed at kids) so guessing a carving pumpkin rather than anything else.

Also noticed some cat (grr) has decided to scratch out some plants from my seed trays so i have lost some as it happened last night and i have only noticed so the plants are dried.

On the positive side i have been given the details of a architect who can do the planning permission for my greenhouse so am hoping to have this in place late feb next year just need to save up.

Mother in law is down so i am hoping i might get a little bit more gardening done this week.

I have some spare courgette seed if you want to re=sow?
Jackie

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5051 on: June 11, 2011, 23:02:30 »
Cleared a bed of shrubs in the front garden
Cut back all my oriental poppies
Weeded a large bed in the front garden
Planted some dwarf sunflower seedlings
Planted some dahlias that were sown from seed

Tomorrow I am off to the allotment

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5052 on: June 12, 2011, 10:38:32 »
Just had a weeding session, picked some small beetroot, carrots along with my first garlic that I put in last back end, :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5053 on: June 12, 2011, 14:05:47 »
Got rained upon........OH came begrudgingly to help me put some stakes in to support the new fruit trees, but we gave up in the end! :'(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5054 on: June 12, 2011, 14:12:01 »
Not much to do today..rain called the play off..
But I had to adjust all the temporary downpipes from GH so now precious water is wasted and all goes into butts.
And some watering in GH..and talking to plants...and tapping my tomato flowers..and eating few peaches...etc.
Lots of 'tinkering' to do...

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #5055 on: June 12, 2011, 14:18:51 »
Raining hard so just managed to dig some " Red Duke of York " spuds for lunch, along with the first marrow! watered and weeded in greenhouse, watered and weeded in polytunnel, then sat down with a cuppa ! Ahhh bliss.  ;)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #5056 on: June 12, 2011, 14:21:40 »
Planted out a load of annuals yesterday, today playing on computer whilst none stop rain waters them in  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5057 on: June 12, 2011, 17:06:01 »
yesterday, pulled up 2 lots of garlic planted in autumn from our own bulbs, they're really good so put them to dry, pulled up some onions that have fell over and put them to dry, too. dug up lots of potatoes and cooked them for the barbeque and took some lettuce, spring onions, cucumber and radish for a salad, had to buy tomatoes  ::) ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5058 on: June 12, 2011, 17:25:59 »
Nothing- just enjoying seeing the rain that hasn't stopped since we got in at 3:00 from visiting an open garden.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5059 on: June 12, 2011, 22:28:20 »

I have some spare courgette seed if you want to re=sow?

thanks hector i am going to go to the organic plant place next week and pick some up :) but very kind of you to offer :)

Other than that today i have been baking for MIL birthday she had had home made chicken and leek pie lower fat version so no pastry i put the mash on top like a cottage pie and served with spinach. And made apple crumble baked cheesecake YUM :) Were having a nice cup of tea and the garden is having a long drink of water.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal