Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875597 times)

gaz2000

• Half Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5000 on: May 31, 2011, 20:07:22 »
earthed up my spuds  ;D

watered the greenhouse

tried to resolve a blockage issue with my waterbutt system,but failed..

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5001 on: May 31, 2011, 20:12:29 »
Watered a comfrey feed into two lines of spuds
Planted out some silybum next to our new fence
Harvested a punnet of Strawberrys
Harvested a handful of spring onions that had grown in with the brassicas over winter.
Mixed one of my daleks
Transplanted a Sunflower
 ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5002 on: May 31, 2011, 20:17:30 »
Planted out oca, climbing beans and brassicas.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5003 on: May 31, 2011, 20:35:49 »
Weeding, mulching, watering, planting drawf beans, digging, eating raw broccoli, tasting this and that, stroking the soft 'fur' of my lovely peaches are almost full size now...(slurp :P)..can't wait to eat some, nearly there though.. ;D

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5004 on: May 31, 2011, 20:42:40 »
weeding weeding and more weeding after the rain its all gone mad >:(

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5005 on: May 31, 2011, 20:49:44 »
nothing i cant get to it we have pulled the patio up and are preparing to relay it so i cant get to anything :(

Fingers crossed the weather will let us get to the patio next weekend or the weekend after.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5006 on: May 31, 2011, 22:08:29 »
Took a risk and planted out half of my squash plants in an area that has been covered with cardboard for a year and is now pretty much couch free! Also planted out celery, more dwarf beans and a few more CFB to fill gaps. Back to work tomorrow..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5007 on: May 31, 2011, 22:10:36 »
Picked strawberries, bunch of sweet peas and some baby spinach.

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #5008 on: May 31, 2011, 22:23:09 »
Went down to the allotment this evening.....
Weeded, weeded and weeded  ???
Also pulled some spinach, never grown or cooked it before, having it for tea tomorrow, sowed some more radish and spring onions  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5009 on: May 31, 2011, 22:47:15 »
Nowt... other than look around and check my ggod friends had watered everything as I was away all weekend..  :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5010 on: June 01, 2011, 18:55:28 »
Cleared the ground next to the new fence with my mattock ( bloody good tool that)
Transplanted some silybum and marigolds and watered them in
Watered Runners and Sunflowers
Going back in a minute to finish the watering
 ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5011 on: June 01, 2011, 20:12:07 »
At plot 2, transplanted 5 squash out, 12 climbing french and haricot beans, nasturtiums  and turned out our competition spuds 'cos we're away at the weekend, weeded all over the place, new ground is chronic  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5012 on: June 01, 2011, 20:48:42 »
Finished planting out the climbing beans, and checked the bees. The bramble is just beginning to flower, the bees are up in the supers, and I'm expecting some honey soon!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5013 on: June 01, 2011, 21:43:29 »
... actually got about 2 hours worth of gardening done today so pleased with myself.

Used my new hoe (amazon one mentioned in another tread) which i am told is a mattock either way i cleared a load of soil for laying more patio slabs and used the soil i needed to get rid of into a large bag for my sweet potato slips which arrived a few days ago and have been sitting in water. Also topped up with bags with my potatoes. Soil is wet about 1 inch below the surface so gave everything a good soak and covered up the ground so i can continue to dig tomorrow.

Pulled up a massive load of weeds and managed to fill one of my recycling bags (sprayed last week with week killer) got more bindweed showing there heads so monday/tuesday next week (patio relaying now saturday) more week killer going down.

Pumpkins are not looking very well i suspect i need to start again - does anyone think i am 2 late?

Brassicas are looking good and fingers crossed i can plant them into there bed in about 2 weeks.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5014 on: June 01, 2011, 22:07:13 »
Finally accepted that strawberries are more or less over. Impossible to water them enough in this dustbowl.

Sweetcorn looking sad, though I did water them. Picked a few mangetouts (they have grown magnificently in spite of no rain, but are now looking stressed), picked some asparagus (seriously slowing down, considering we should have another 2 weeks), also some indefatigable sorrel.

Watered climbing beans, which look quite cheerful, surprisingly. Looked at potatoes drooping - but there is no way I can water them enough, given that every drop has to be carried in old milk containers (no water on this site).

Yesterday I visited my allotment that does have water, but even there the strawberries are not good. Potatoes are all right, onions are not too bad. But on the whole, in East Sussex this is a discouraging year. I am very sorry for farmers contemplating their withered crops across Kent and Sussex.

And my niece has a cut flower business ("Blooming Green") not far away. I have not dared to ask her how her flower fields are doing.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5015 on: June 02, 2011, 21:07:06 »
I was 'helped' by my 12 yr old and 3 yr old grandsons to dig out a big bucketfull of home guard potatoes from a polytunnel bed so's when I get back, the rest of the tomatoes and peppers can be planted. Some for mum in law, some for daughters family, some to take down south and a few for us , will definitely grow them again, due to our hosepipe ban, they haven't been watered at all but gave a great harvest  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5016 on: June 02, 2011, 22:08:40 »
Watered and mulched!

BETTY 33

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5017 on: June 02, 2011, 22:27:56 »
sorted the healthiest sweetcorn out ready to put in lottie watered  and sorted greenhouse out looking nice now

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5018 on: June 02, 2011, 22:28:54 »
Watered a comfrey feed into two lines of spuds
Planted out some silybum next to our new fence
Harvested a punnet of Strawberrys
Harvested a handful of spring onions that had grown in with the brassicas over winter.
Mixed one of my daleks
Transplanted a Sunflower
 ;D
What is Silybum????
Grow yer bugger grow!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5019 on: June 02, 2011, 22:29:39 »
Picked strawberries and sweet peas.  Gave some strawberries to next door and made some jam, and didn't burn the saucepan (result).  ;D ;D ;D  Raspberries and redcurrants rippening, and peas have pods, but didn't pick any.  I expect they will all be ready in 10 days time when I am on holiday.  :( :( :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal