Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875342 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4960 on: May 11, 2011, 08:51:56 »
Fennel finally sprouted, thought I had lost them, planted seeds 6 weeks ago :) parsley, corriander and cabbage seeds going great guns and watered and watered now looking to planting more courgette and beetroot seeds.  oooh and this weekend I will be weeding weeding and more weeding.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4961 on: May 11, 2011, 09:47:43 »
All I am doing at the mo is watering babies and pots.  It's so dry I can't risk planting things out in the veg plot or flower beds.   We have had one good downpour - 10 days ago - since mid march and no showers.  This last weekend Belgium was the warmest place in Europe with temps in the high 20s.

Established plants are doing OK but I'll have to water the soft fruits if we're to get a crop this year.

Meanwhile, I just keep watering and doing a spot of weeding but will have to pot on various babies as they outgrow their wee pots.  At least the drought is helping suppress the slugs and snails but my natural pond is just mud so no good for this year's crop of frog, toad and newt tadpoles.
Obxx - Vendée France

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4962 on: May 11, 2011, 17:39:54 »
transplanted romanesco broccoli, planted out mange tout and celeriac, watered all the stuff in the poly that needed it  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4963 on: May 15, 2011, 14:09:49 »
Planted out some cosse violette beans, romanesco broccoli and sowed carrots, all on plot 2. Dug up the potatoes from the hot bed, picked some radish, spring onions and a spring cabbage for tea  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4964 on: May 15, 2011, 18:55:28 »
Dug, watered, planted a few extra spinach to fill the gaps in the row. Didn't have much time, unfortunately.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #4965 on: May 15, 2011, 19:06:59 »
turned the water on at the lottie  weeded,watered and had a really good tidy up,just been and turned water off, about 4 hours spent at the plot today very satisfying  ;D

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #4966 on: May 16, 2011, 18:14:48 »
Staked Tomatoes in the greenhouse, ran strings over and above Gherkins. In the garden I staked my Sunflowers.

On the allotment had a big fore of dumped trees and shrubs, took away two dumped bicycles, rescued a wheelbarrow and cut some Hazel for poles and walking sticks.

Oh and sowed Cauli "All year round." in trays.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4967 on: May 16, 2011, 18:40:22 »
We tied up the tall cabbages to stakes, planted out some celeriac, planted up the last of the inside sweetcorn, dug up some very early potatoes, cut some oakleaf lettuce, red mustard and red mizuna for lunch  :)
oh, forgot, I also transplanted the jack o' lanterns that Callum sowed into larger pots  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 18:42:54 by manicscousers »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4968 on: May 16, 2011, 19:49:37 »
Knackered myself! ::)

Spend 5 hours at the plot today, weeding sunflower and borage seedlings out from my allium beds, they have gone mad n the past week. Planted out all the brqassicas, then realised I hadn't sown the swedes yet! Netted them all up nicely to keep the birds off.

Tomorrow I intend to put plant out more peas, the first lot of dwarf beans under cloches, and the first lot of CFB's. Hope we don't get a late frost now!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4969 on: May 16, 2011, 20:41:24 »
Watered and watered this morning
Then back later to transplant some Primo Cabbages
Harvested 3 Onions and ate a small Strawberry
 :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4970 on: May 16, 2011, 21:02:44 »
Looked at the seed trays again........ I think something may be happening ! 
The staring and willing them to grow method is working  ;)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4971 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46:28 »
Just finished for a while after sowing some more runner beans and then onto the planting out.
So far there has been plenty to plant, Nasturtiums, Cornflower, Kochia, Cosmos, Tomatoes(tumbler and cherry gold) and finally the Brassicas are going in.
Lastly, those darn weeds have been at it again. Spreading themselves sround the place with no concern for others. Just like humans  ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #4972 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:58 »
Weeded, weeded and weeded, thined out the beetroots, pricked out some cabbages, checked on my leeks - I have 5!   ??? mmmm I'm sure that there were more, this week going to get some flowers too as Landimad has inspired me.  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4973 on: May 17, 2011, 20:05:58 »
transplanted some more morning glory, planted some more Roma toms and yolo peppers, planted another couple of self seeded sunflowers outside, transplanted lots of self seeded verbena bonsariaris  ?sp  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4974 on: May 17, 2011, 20:11:38 »
Just going and we have sun.. real non rainy day.. whoopee  can't believe it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4975 on: May 17, 2011, 20:13:55 »
 ;D..You can ditch now all the plans for the rice field...what about drought resistant varieties of veg.. :o ;) ;D

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #4976 on: May 17, 2011, 20:23:12 »
Made my new border for annuals in the main, laid more old carpet on my allotment and had a meeting with the Council about the state of other peoples plots and H&S  issues. Tied up my Gherkins, Tomatoes, and sowed some Winter Cauliflowers.

A good days work.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4977 on: May 17, 2011, 20:49:29 »
Weeded
Watered
Put home compost in the dalek
 :D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4978 on: May 21, 2011, 19:24:48 »
Seems like no ones done much for a while
I sowed runners and blue lake beans
Weeded and watered and soaked up the sunshine
 8) 8) 8)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4979 on: May 21, 2011, 19:30:18 »
Had hoped to get my calabrese out and my debris netting/blue pipe cloches built but it was very windy so spent the afternoon in the greenhouse, potting toms into grobags, aubergines into black buckets and moving lots of stuff out to the coldframe to make room for the latter. Also sowed more french beans as only got 3 out of 15 from the last lot. Just hope the coldframe doesn't blow away now!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal