Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 876494 times)

green lily

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4940 on: May 06, 2011, 21:00:04 »
Weeded..... and hoped for rain before I plant, sow anything else. Uncovered the fig tree but the top growth has been nipped by the frost along with spuds I forgot to cover and the beans I shouldn't of sown outside. There's no fool like an old fool..... :-[. But the toms look good for sowing late and the spring cabbage is amazing. Have pigged asparagus and am leaving it now as this is first real picking year. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4941 on: May 06, 2011, 22:44:54 »
We had a very heavy shower a while ago. The way it came down it should have made a difference, and it didn't last long enough to cause a flood. Hopefully I'll be feeling OK tomorrow. These headaches don't often last more than 24 hours.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #4942 on: May 06, 2011, 23:51:09 »
weeded and watered. desperately trying to get sorted and tidied uo for the  cultivation survey

Just got home from the plot to get a text from my sister to say dads had a heart attack, so I get a funny feeling barring a few hours here and there my plot is not going to see alot of me over for the next couple of weeks specially as my mother is ill too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 23:58:42 by brownowl23 »

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
« Reply #4943 on: May 06, 2011, 23:54:25 »
did a rain dance!!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #4944 on: May 07, 2011, 00:09:33 »
weeded and watered. desperately trying to get sorted and tidied uo for the  cultivation survey

Just got home from the plot to get a text from my sister to say dads had a heart attack, so I get a funny feeling barring a few hours here and there my plot is not going to see alot of me over for the next couple of weeks specially as my mother is ill too.

My best wishes to the suffering.... Hoping for a good outcome...
Here's hoping you can get out and keep things under control soon...
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4945 on: May 07, 2011, 07:06:36 »
Hope that the situation improves for you and your family brownowl
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4946 on: May 07, 2011, 07:12:25 »
All the best Brownowl.  :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4947 on: May 07, 2011, 08:29:09 »
All the best, Brownowl,
 let them know what's happening at your allotment

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4948 on: May 07, 2011, 21:38:21 »
Very best wishes to those having problems, and thank you for the sympathy sent to me.

I have bounced back at last - was able to potter gently at my nearest plot, and planted two gutters of snap peas. Set up a rain collector for the rain promised tonight: a strong piece of plastic suspended between 4 bamboos. I cut a hole in the middle, over a big trug, and weighed plastic down with two water bottles. (No water at this plot - everything has to be carried up in plastic milk bottles, and I have never quite managed to collect rain before).

Picked a lot of enthusiastic thick asparagus, and secretly tied it to the bicycle handlebars of my plot neighbour, whose wife sent me Get Well flowers only yesterday. Hope they enjoy it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 21:39:57 by artichoke »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4949 on: May 07, 2011, 21:46:06 »
hugs to those struggling at the moment i have done nothing in the garden today woke after heavy rain to find the garden still hard popped downstairs where husband had taken Harriet down for breakfast while i had a shower to find i had missed her first steps without holding on to anything. But my disappointment was soon forgotten as she has done nothing but walk around all day :)

So whilst my garden got wet i woke to find i had a toddler  ;D

Am now sitting her with planting plan trying to work out what to do in the garden tomorrow if i can :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4950 on: May 08, 2011, 16:14:02 »
Lovely time, Louise, everything new for them  :)
sowed 5 different types of lettuce, more dwarf french beans, long red and ailsa craig onions, savoy cabbage, falstaff sprouts, trying to grow more as I think we will have an early harvest and need more stuff to fill spaces, my BN and  hooligan squash and my grandsons' jack o' lantern pumpkins are all up ;D
planted out some lettuce and more melons

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4951 on: May 08, 2011, 18:21:59 »
Weeded carrots, parsnips and onions
Resowed pea and carrot bare patches
Transplanted January king cabbages
Watered and slug pelleted
Potted up more tommies
 ;D

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4952 on: May 09, 2011, 19:55:05 »
As for today, I have potted up more young plants into larger pots ready to go out into the beds for the display this year. :P 120 marigolds, eighty zinnias, and 120 nigellas. :o
Seems as though oh wants to outdo what I did last year.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4953 on: May 09, 2011, 20:15:21 »
since yesterday i have moved about 100 edging/driveway bricks off the area i want to plant on heading out now to move the last 25 which are suck slightly into the soil. Next job is to dig the the area over with some chicken poop and get it ready for squash and pumpkins which are going to be hardened off over the next couple of weeks. I have 3 nets of onions to go in but the ground rock hard so before i more any more bricks i am going to get a couple of watering cans and wet the ground so i can dig it over onions will be going in tomorrow when Harriets having her nap i am interplanting PSB, B.Sprouts, cabbages with the onions so need to get my rows right while the ground is plyable i might dig narrow trenches for the seedlings to go in once there all up :)

Tonight i need to decide what goes in my 3rd bed which i have down as root veg so i am thinking succession parsnip, turnip, swede and carrot :)

(bed 1 legumes, bed 2 brassicas, bed 3 root)

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #4954 on: May 09, 2011, 20:59:53 »
hiya all - first time on this forum! :D

yesterday, unexpectedly, we had fine sunny warm weather in the afternoon, but that made my work harder. fetched a couple of barrows of leafy - leafmould  that the site have had a big delivery of. it was quite a trek as we had to walk out of the site to go into a different gate to get to it (10mins walk and about 20mins back up the hill! :( was a bit of a chore as we had to do this on foot as we don't drive. then, i had to make use of the ground being damp to use the leafmould for mulching. Poor OH, he didn't realise that he had to dig right into the leafmould pit to get at the semi-decomposed sfuff rather than the dry leaves that he picked up!! ::) ::)

as we only had a couple of barrows worth, i had to sparingly mulch each onion, raspberry and broad bean plants. there were other plants that needed mulching but i had to be discerning as to which plants were mostly in need of this. each time i needed to move on to the next batch of plants, i got up and felt really dizzy. i think it was a combination of too much sun (dehydration) and not enough energy to have carried out this task out properly (had a hard week at work)...

hey ho, that's lotti life for you! am going to go down Wed prob after work for more mulching and weeding!

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4955 on: May 10, 2011, 17:48:17 »
Went out and looked at my seed trays and pots.... still no sign of any new seedlings, so stared at them for a bit willing them to get a shift on !!

Not sure if that method will work, but hey........ you never know !  ;)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4956 on: May 10, 2011, 20:35:20 »
Not done much as I have just got home from a long day. Only managed to get some more compost mixed with sand and perlite ready to pot on more seedlings.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4957 on: May 10, 2011, 20:51:02 »
Weeded,weeded,weeded

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4958 on: May 11, 2011, 05:38:49 »
Weeded Hamburg Parsley
Watered Spuds in their tubs
 ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4959 on: May 11, 2011, 07:04:55 »
Planted a few runner beans :-\.Weeded and weeded whilst Tony put our chairs together for our half plot at Bettys.Its getting filled up now.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal