Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873465 times)

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4220 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:05 »
Potatoes arrived this morning all put into egg cartons ready for chitting.Started to preaser wash the paths in the garden. Airiated front lawn grass looking good  for time of year checked broad beans they are all looking ok. Picked sprouts for dinner with fresh runner beans from tesco £1 a bag sliced and ready to cook I,am so good to O/H. Weather breaking here in Wales but heavy frost again last night So good rushing any thing.  Rugbypost
m j gravell

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #4221 on: January 18, 2011, 15:23:37 »
Dug a load of dead plants out of the plot and spread a bag of gravel over the mud patch in front of the shed.

Then a trip to the Garden Centre to lift my depression - bought a few packs of seeds with winter hardy sounding names: Tundra Cabbage, Below Zero Leeks, etc.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4222 on: January 18, 2011, 16:31:37 »

Then a trip to the Garden Centre to lift my depression - bought a few packs of seeds with winter hardy sounding names: Tundra Cabbage, Below Zero Leeks, etc.
We hope your anti-depressant worked ;D
I discovered my shovel in the garden, buried in snow. Bad girl.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4223 on: January 18, 2011, 19:02:40 »
cleared out the greenhouse @ home ( I know I should have done it earlier)
You couldn't make it up!

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #4224 on: January 18, 2011, 19:22:45 »
Found even more seeds tucked away in the shed.  Is someone deliberately hiding them there?

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #4225 on: January 19, 2011, 17:13:02 »
managed to get a few beds dug over,also hoed the pathways

and put a birdfeeder up  ;D ;D

more digging next week and then a general tidy up including washing my greenhouse

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4226 on: January 19, 2011, 17:27:45 »
Back in work this morning 20 mins to clear the car garden looked nice though. Put out fresh food for the birds and water.  Wife was throwing old pillow out from dog basket  had a look to see what was  inside some type of fibre any way put some by the bird table see if they would take it to there nests, looks like some has gone will try again.
m j gravell

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4227 on: January 19, 2011, 17:42:08 »
sowed my first seeds, lamb's lettuce on the windowsill for microgreens, yoohoo  ;D
on the plot, finished adding home made compost to the new fruit bed, just waiting for the trees now. picked up lots of woodchip and put it down on the paths  ;D

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #4228 on: January 19, 2011, 17:52:05 »
I dug some couch greass out from round my currant bushes, up to the point that I managed to chuck mus in my eye which I couldnt get out so had to go home and do an eye bath. Oh well back to it tomorrow.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4229 on: January 21, 2011, 18:39:36 »
Err...yesterday ::) Wheat and oats are sown, first lot of strawberries potted up and in GH for early crop ;D Started clearing patch for my brassica 'breeding ground'...cage materials are nearly together, I just have to get rid of old rapberry canes..hard work.
Today one can only dream and plan as frost called work off.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4230 on: January 21, 2011, 18:40:56 »
Oh yes..forgot..been wood chipping paths too ;D

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4231 on: January 21, 2011, 19:31:22 »
Did not finish work till late but had a half hour pottering around, all digging done back in september, Octorber. brassicas patch will not get dug again they need firm ground just a hole for each plant and lime in and around each plant. everything else is all covered with manure but that can all wait till febuary. Waiting to do a bit of work on my lawns but so far the weather has not damaged them. Rugbypost
m j gravell

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #4232 on: January 21, 2011, 20:47:11 »
We had a new 'bigger' shed delivered 16 x 10 ft  :o  Luckily it is dismantaled into sections!!
My brother was given this and he gave it to us for the allotment...free is good!!!!
We have moved the old 3x4ft shed and some other bits but there's a lot of work to do to get the new shed up  :o ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4233 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:37 »

Just arrived back from the lotty still frozen hard up there makes me wonder what part of the country some folk are living in when they can dig their allotment, managed to fix my new ypright in place and my last lot of garlic have appeared about three inches high really pleased because it is a greek variety which we bought to use, :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4234 on: January 22, 2011, 16:53:39 »
cut up a couple of cubic metres of hardwood (utile / sapele) for the wood-burner ( I get the 'trimmings and offcuts' from a local hardwood joinery) and finally got round to sorting out the split supply pipe to the outside loo!
no actual gardening, though!
You couldn't make it up!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4235 on: January 22, 2011, 17:37:57 »
Was for doing a few jobs today but the weather well below zero all day with a bitterly cold wind. Had  a nice day in front of tele watching  Heinikin cup rugby, but did mix batter ready for yorkshire puddings , yes  joint of  silver side with all the trimings my idea of lunch.  Rugbypost
m j gravell

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #4236 on: January 22, 2011, 17:55:20 »
More digging  :( :) :( :)

Almost got the potato area 'cleared' except for the bindweed which will rear its ugly head in due course.

Playing find the fruit bush next. Although the gooseberrys seem to find me rather easily......

Back and hip not happy with me, oh well.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #4237 on: January 22, 2011, 18:25:23 »
Tidied up the brassicae bed.  The purple sprouting broccoli has virtually bent double and the stems have gone black.  I am not sure whether these will recover.  I cleared out all the dead leaves and used the three pronged cultivator to rake the ground.  I have lost about 50% of the winter cauliflowers but this is about normal.  I will still have more than enough.  The Brussel sprouts are still cropping and I have a few Marion swedes left. 

I then went and got some last year’s lawn mowings and leaves to put on the brassicae bed when everything has gone over. 

It was blooming cold so I came home - no one else up the allotment.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4238 on: January 22, 2011, 18:55:24 »
put a plastic cover over the roof of the fruit cage where both the peaches are, it worked against leaf curl last year, finished off 2 more beds with the scaffolding planks and started painting the rest for the last 2 beds, yaaay

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4239 on: January 22, 2011, 19:07:21 »
a lot of the ground was quite frozen but managed to sort 2 beds, put a whole compost bin of what was leaf compost onto one bed (pure gold dust it was after nearly 3 years  ;D); shifted 5 barrow loads of manure uphill to another plot for later and really quite enjoyed myself but glad to get home for a long soak  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal