Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872971 times)

jesus1987

• Not So New ...
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4200 on: January 15, 2011, 17:54:52 »
Decided to clear out the greenhouse. Wind was horrendous; next door had tiles blow off the roof and neighbour was trying to patch things up. I only moved into the house a few months ago so decided to ask him when the greenhouse was last used by previous tenants (I rent...). He reckoned it must be at least 4 YEARS! No wonder it seemed like a mammoth task. Shovelled at least 150 litres of dried up compost and plants out of the containers in there. Found a few ladybirds too which was strange! Put them inside on my herb plants to avoid the huge clear and cleanout.
Codsall, Wolverhampton.
Hopefully getting Bilbrook Allotment soon!

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #4201 on: January 15, 2011, 18:47:14 »
Planted some 1st earlies in the polytunnel. Dug a trench, put 2-3 ins manue in the bottom, then the spuds. Covered with earth and 2 layers of bubblewrap.

Not done this before but hopefully will get a decent early crop...
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Bubbly Berry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4202 on: January 15, 2011, 19:04:03 »
Sowed my Robinsons mammouth onion seed news years day - put them in spare room window sill - checked them today got two lickle seedlings throu - wheres the rest ????

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #4203 on: January 15, 2011, 19:40:01 »
Planted some 1st earlies in the polytunnel. Dug a trench, put 2-3 ins manue in the bottom, then the spuds. Covered with earth and 2 layers of bubblewrap.
what do you call early? i am wating till march you can only eat em once

pumkinlover

« Reply #4204 on: January 15, 2011, 20:35:52 »
Planted some garlic in pots and started cleaning up the primula auricuala and allionii's,

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4205 on: January 15, 2011, 20:39:49 »
had a work party to  move the 8 tons of soil into the school raised beds, had burgers and trifle, slightly damp but we all had a laugh  ;D

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4206 on: January 15, 2011, 21:43:31 »
Dug up loads of snips, leeks and harvested some brussels ;D
Brought home the rest of the stored potatoes and onions to use,
did some digging, the soil dug over very well. Feeling very pleased after that  :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4207 on: January 16, 2011, 14:50:07 »
Yesterday and today... we have been working down the bottom lotty... digging back for the polytunnel move and refilling the tyre planters...
now having some dinner and going to the garden centre for some seeds... (did the audit yesterday to find what we were out of... )  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4208 on: January 16, 2011, 15:15:32 »
Everyone's moving now after a Christmas lull!!

I carried on clearing the top of the plot, the area which will be potatoes this year.
Did some weeding, manured around GKH and rhubarb to protect the shoots in case we get frost.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #4209 on: January 16, 2011, 20:36:10 »
 :) dug /shades x
grow your own way

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4210 on: January 16, 2011, 20:53:03 »
Saddad I do hope Alison has sorted out a minder for you or has taken on the job herself ;) ;D.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4211 on: January 16, 2011, 22:01:46 »
Wouldn't let me go without her holding my hand... (arm twisted up my back...)  ;D
T+M had three "offer " tomatoes on and she wouldn't let me have any...  :'(

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #4212 on: January 16, 2011, 22:17:24 »
Well nothing in the garden or the plot far too soggy  :(, but the tats have arrived and are now tucked up on the spare bed on cosy egg boxes :)

Ninny

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #4213 on: January 16, 2011, 22:33:56 »
Cleared old fallen leaves, Moved compost bin and started clearing Greenhouse. Also made coconut Bird feeders with the kids.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4214 on: January 17, 2011, 13:41:00 »
Finally planted the last of the overwintering onions and garlic :-[ and some daffodils

Dug up parsnips, leeks and picked Brussels

Going to plant the "spring planting" garlic in pots this afternoon.

So good to be pack on the plot again :D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4215 on: January 17, 2011, 15:55:04 »
Spent 4 hours at the plot today. Even had our soup sitting outside. The sun was shining. Managed to spread some muck on the potato beds before Tone puts the cultivator over them.Planted 2 ebony blackcurrants and 2 blueberries and 5 autumn raspberries That we got before the bad weather set in.Cut down the existing autumn bliss while Tony dug. It was so nice to spend some time up there. I know now why I love the allotment
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4216 on: January 17, 2011, 17:01:54 »
Did a survival audit on the plots to see what had survived the weather....I've lost all of my black kale, all of the little pot leeks (Mussleburgh are all OK), all the cauliflowers, my PSB (sob!) most of the swedes......sigh. All of my carrots and parsnips are fine though! Also lost every pumpkin I'd left in the shed, and the potatoes had all rotted too, that was a nice task clearing them out.... :-\

Oh, and one pane of glass broken on the little greenhouse...could be worse I guess. I've decided my shed isn't frostproof enough to try storing potatoes despite its thick walls, so that limits me to earlies only this year I think. Ho hum. It was nice to get some fresh air again though after being cooped up with 'flu...still deaf in one ear, partial hearing in the other, I'll have to learn how to sign at this rate!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4217 on: January 17, 2011, 19:11:05 »
finished filling the new fruit bed with our 2 yr old compost  ;D
.Planted 2 ebony blackcurrants and 2 blueberries and 5 autumn raspberries
we planted ebony last year, Shirley, lovely big sweet fruit  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4218 on: January 17, 2011, 19:11:35 »
That's so disheartening, Deb. Guess it's a case of looking forward not back, now.
I think with the combination of freezing winters and rabbits, I'm going to give up trying to grow anything over winter except maybe leeks and garlic.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4219 on: January 18, 2011, 10:14:53 »
Yes, the weather certainly has taken its toll. Still, I shall optimistically sow some more PSB this year and have a go, it is one of my favourite veg! I shall be crying in April though, usually bring it home by the bagfull.... :'(

My overwintered garlic and shallots are only just popping their heads out too, they usually start to grow away at this time of year, but I have kept some cloves back to plant in Spring, and some shallots which were pretty successful from a spring planting (first time I had tried it, I'd always just done autumn planting before that). Hopefully it will all work itself out in the end!

It's sunny here today, so I'm off down the lottie soon to do some more tidying up and muck spreading......happy days! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal