Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874617 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3740 on: May 22, 2010, 19:30:05 »
Filled the gaps in the broadbeans with spare plants, cleared and dug over the rest of our (2nd) plot and decided to chance a couple of rows of (very) late spuds. Tomorrow will finish this off and put some late onions in too - even if they only make spring onion that is okay! I will also plant out runner and french beans.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3741 on: May 22, 2010, 20:41:10 »
Realised most of the pots on my patio were full of dying-off bulbs, so spent the afternoon empting them and sowing annuals.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3742 on: May 22, 2010, 20:48:08 »
I planted out squash, celeriac and AYR cauli and have put all my potted toms outside now.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3743 on: May 22, 2010, 20:55:05 »
Put the outside toms in their bed - 3 each of Sungella, Sub arctic plenty, Red cherry and a unknown French variety that has green and yellow stripes. 

French marigolds for companion planting and iceberg lettuce for interplanting.

Decided it was too hot for any digging

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3744 on: May 23, 2010, 17:49:42 »
Planted out more peas.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3745 on: May 23, 2010, 18:14:07 »
dropped off more horse muck from work (next years load) , watered the beets,carrots and squashes

purchased a few golden sunrise tom plants while out and about,to go with my other variety that ive forgotten the name of  ;D ;D

had planned on tieing the sunflowers to there canes for support but was still in work time,so had to dash

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3746 on: May 23, 2010, 21:23:14 »
early morning watering of small veg patch in the back garden- and after the heavy burst of rain after lunch it was the only area that stayed damp- shows how thirsty the ground is.  Planted out the french marigolds and thinned the carrots as the sun was slowly sinking.

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #3747 on: May 23, 2010, 21:48:17 »
I played the fool, moved things around in the cold frame and greenhouse so I had more space, then I weeded out the garden, then I thought enough! its too hot so I scar4ed all the neighbours by getting undressed down to the underpants and decided to use the large blue water butt as a swimming pool / sauna.

Such cool bliss. :o 8)

Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3748 on: May 24, 2010, 19:29:55 »
OVer the weekend turned the inherited decking into a tomato bed in the polytunnel, a horseshoe 4.5 metres on the long sides, 2 metres across the end, filled it with 800Kg of topsoil/compost mix from the recycling yard and a load of horse field manure, planted 31 tomatoes in it mostly one per variety but three Kirschklumpen and a couple each of some others, then rejigged the autowatering so that I don't have to worry about a watering can in there now....

Repotted all the other toms into 8" pots or gave away to brother/mother, have 20-soemthing outdoor toms waiting now back in GH. potted up strawberries into collapsible planter./.... three layers of strawberries and one of Garden Pearl toms, sits out on the flat most of the time so they all get good sunlight but if I need the space it stacks into a col;umn. Repotted some beans that needed it desperately.

chrisc

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3749 on: May 24, 2010, 19:33:33 »
sanded down then painted the shed,bird table and wheelbarrow flower pot feature thing  ;D

watered well all around,cut the grass around the shed.can now see the ground by my gooseberry bushes

tied my sunflowers to there supports.planted my toms and a chilli plant in the greenhouse,and bedding plants in pots outside.

was good to see my blackcurrants are doing well,was VERY late putting them in

lots of weeding tommorow

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3750 on: May 24, 2010, 20:10:38 »
put in leeks, a few sweet corn plants, sprouts and cabbages.  Watered and weeded, and messed about with bits of crazy paving to tame the sea coal the previous plotholder had used on the entrance to the shed.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3751 on: May 24, 2010, 22:28:04 »
Planted out my parsnips (sown in loo rolls) and some sunflowers and mulched with hops. Picked off lots of dandelion heads before doing a good strim of the plot- always looks better after that even if it won't last long! Felt frustrated that the people who took over the other half of my plot have left the asparagus to grow two feet tall, although to be honest I'm surprised it's still producing through the weeds that I left them! 

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3752 on: May 24, 2010, 23:08:25 »
planted out more squash butternut ,sweet potato and courgette.tomatoes and chillis.And watered ........................... :( 8)
sanity is overated

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3753 on: May 25, 2010, 08:16:29 »
watered the asparagus bed and cut the lawn in front of the bee hives before they woke up this morning!
You couldn't make it up!

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #3754 on: May 25, 2010, 12:10:36 »
Put straw under my strawberries on my 2, 3x1 metre beds.
A bale cost me £2.50, such good value, and at the end of the year it composts.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3755 on: May 25, 2010, 12:15:45 »
Felt frustrated that the people who took over the other half of my plot have left the asparagus to grow two feet tall, although to be honest I'm surprised it's still producing through the weeds that I left them! 

I understood that you are supposed to let it grow and then cut it all down at the end of the Summer?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3756 on: May 25, 2010, 18:38:06 »
Felt frustrated that the people who took over the other half of my plot have left the asparagus to grow two feet tall, although to be honest I'm surprised it's still producing through the weeds that I left them! 

I understood that you are supposed to let it grow and then cut it all down at the end of the Summer?

you are supposed to eat it up until mid-summer!!
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3757 on: May 25, 2010, 19:43:06 »
Over the last few days I've......
Planted out squash, cucumbers, celeriac and cauli's
Earthed up spuds
Fleeced the carrots
Hoed and weeded to death
Moved the toms outside in their pots
Harvested my first onion
Watered the plot.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3758 on: May 26, 2010, 21:49:31 »
took out the last 2 new potato plants and finished planting the polytunnel, put the sweet potata slips in (only got 2  :( ) just got one more melon for the end bed, looking good so far  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3759 on: May 26, 2010, 23:09:55 »
Dug over most of the Jerusalem bed - obviously, they're all sprouting, but they're tolerant things - and got the weeds out of it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal