Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872994 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3640 on: May 05, 2010, 00:04:59 »
watered carrots which have just popped up a couple of days ago, and counted more broad beans.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3641 on: May 05, 2010, 12:40:28 »
performed an artificial swarm on one of my beehives yesterday, now I've got 3 hives in the back garden[attachment=1]
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3642 on: May 05, 2010, 16:38:24 »
theylook really good, tonybloke, I'd love some bees but our site's too small..I transplanted my hooligan squash, planted out lots of sunflowers and an uchi kuri squash and put a plastic cloche over it  ;D

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3643 on: May 05, 2010, 17:54:35 »
Nice one, Tonybloke, and lovely looking hives, too.
How far along with their swarmy preparations were your bees? Ours are still just making play cups.

Me, I planted another little batch of sugarsnap peas (I use 1 litre yogurt pots) and pricked out some of the truly ridiculous number of cosmos seedlings which I've been blessed with, thanks to my decision to  chuck all the seed left in a 12-year-old packet of cosmos into a seed tray to see if one or two would germinate.  ::)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3644 on: May 05, 2010, 21:07:41 »
I humped 30 bags of mushroom compost that were delivered form a local mushroom farm on to my plot today, and spread it over the new potato bed, the first nourishment that soil has had in years! The rest went to top up some new beds and the brassica raised beds on the old plot. I now realise I could have done with another 20 bags or so..... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3645 on: May 05, 2010, 22:13:55 »
made a wigwam thingy ma bob,just for a few french beans

noticed that one of my pepper plants that i planted out in the greenhouse has gone  >:( so got the slug pellets out for the others

hardened off my courgettes,planted out toms in a growbag in greenhouse

then in the evening i shown my mother around the plot,has been a while since she saw it,think i bored her  ;D ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3646 on: May 05, 2010, 22:40:09 »
OH is double digging daughters plot. I am the lacky & really enjoying it. I am loading the barrow with manure for the trenches. Taking the rubbish to the dumping area, if only we'd had one on our site. Chatting to the the lovely plot holders ;), pouring drinks. When we had done there we went to have a look at our plot as we haven't been for a week. An hour should sort out the few weeds that have arrived, thanks to the no dig method. So far so good. We picked cavalo nero & white sprouting broccolli some comfrey for the chickens & leaves for the guinea pigs. Ate the WSB raw when we got in & CN with tea, both delicious.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3647 on: May 06, 2010, 18:20:31 »
Planted wigwams of Kent Blue Pea and Ezethas Krombek Blouwschok.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3648 on: May 06, 2010, 19:29:42 »
Put 4 kinds of cabbage in and covered them with netting. made sure spuds were banked up well, noticed lots of others with frost damage and even some runner beans that were slug pelleted, netted and quite dead !! felt very smug mine have been just sown in the greenhouse
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3649 on: May 06, 2010, 20:40:47 »
Me too Marg I only sowed my beans yesterday....and I have seen sweetcorn planted out at our allotment site without protection. For a few seconds I feel as though I am as always very late with sowings when I see beans and sweet corn in other peoples plots and panic for a few seconds :o ~~but I know its not worth the worry of putting things out too early.

Today I started hardening off some of my seedlings ~ placed them outside for a few hours but they are back in the greenhouse now. ;D I also potted up some lemon grass seedlings .. they are so slow but seem to be still alive. No sign of my squash sowings yet but I did check on them today as I do every day :D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3650 on: May 06, 2010, 21:17:59 »
Voted on the way to the allotment.  Just dug up loads of horse tail/mares tail roots and put them on top of water butt to dry off and hopefully die. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3651 on: May 06, 2010, 21:20:14 »
planted some celeriac in between the peas  :)

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3652 on: May 06, 2010, 21:25:56 »
Did a bit of weeding and watering at lottie - soil/compost filled my 1st raised bed at home - will be planting it tomorrow - not sure what with yet!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3653 on: May 06, 2010, 22:53:03 »
Potting up cuttings, potting up others to larger pots, planting sunflowers out , sowing first lot of beans and more squashes and courgettes, weeding, clearing (again) land from raspberries...they seem to pop up every where.. ::)ohh..just typing all down that I've been doing tires me out ::)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3654 on: May 07, 2010, 17:23:25 »
I dug more of the new beds today and planted my first row of dahlias , velvet queen sunfkowers, helichrysums and some calfinian poppies all for cutting later in the year. Lovely to begin to put out the half hardies at last. Greenhouse still bulging with all the stuff waiting to go out. found some very fat slugs under the heli tray that was thier last meal.

Also planted beans into trial manure tubs as still havet found a aminopyralid free source near lancaster, fingers crossed for good strong growth.

very windy here and everything is wilting.
x sunloving

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3655 on: May 07, 2010, 17:26:30 »
went straight to the lottie after a mind-numbingly boring day invigilating exams- had a lovely time with the hoe, and planted out some sunflowers.  Carrots are just beginning to show, and the POTATOES!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3656 on: May 07, 2010, 20:10:20 »
I found these teeth whislt i was digging a new bed, made me smile  :D
x sunloving

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3657 on: May 07, 2010, 20:26:10 »
I found these teeth whislt i was digging a new bed, made me smile  :D

Yuck! ;D

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3658 on: May 07, 2010, 23:19:52 »
Removed the damaged plants, potted on some plants in the green house ready for the Plant Sale on the 16th May and then took a trip over the road to our local garden centre for lunch and to get 6 bags of gravel for the greenhouse floor.

My father then kindly built me a raised platform for the water barrel and then he started cutting the heavy timber to make some large planters that will be going either side of the allotment gates at the entrances.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3659 on: May 08, 2010, 00:19:03 »
Had a really good session clearing all the little pesky weedlings that have been hiding round the roots of the onions, garlic and shallots waiting till my back's turned.
Sowed my second batch of beetroot and radishes, planted out a row of parsnips in loo-rolls, potted up some cosmos seedlings, and killed a queen wasp scouting out the nesting possibilities of my shed (the second this year).  :o

Oo, and came home to find my lovely pack of T&M half-price seeds had arrived this afternoon. *kid in a sweet shop*  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal