Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874959 times)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3340 on: March 16, 2010, 16:06:16 »
Re-potted lily bulbs, been tinkering in the greenhouse and watching plants grow..1 pea has germinated! ;D..been doing log edging rolls  :-\..a job that I wish I never volunteered to do..(shop ones weren't right kind ::))
and after that I had barbeque  ;D..for job well done..

That's got to be the first BBQ of the year goodlife, well done!   :)

Ninny

I'm afraid i beat that, we had one in Jan for my father in laws birthday :) he said he'd always wanted a bbq for his birthday but never had the guts to do it!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150100785550384&ref=mf

well today i planted some more cucumbers and some more lettuce.

My son eats cucumbers like they are chocolate (and strangely doesnt like chocolate) so i definately have to grow a few this year!

also replanted my other cucumbers and made a make shift cloche for them out of a cake keeper (i forget what the actual name is).

oh and i sorted out my wine bottle which i use for watering the indoor plants :)
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

pennsylvannia planters

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3341 on: March 16, 2010, 16:45:57 »
Lovely day on the plot today.
Planted my shallots, some garlic and 2 rows of sturon.
Managed to dig over my pumpkin bed, cleaned the chicken coop and have started giving vacant plots to people on the waiting list :).

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3342 on: March 16, 2010, 18:44:18 »
Bum tested my soil in the Sun  8) and planted a row and a half of Rockets.    :o      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3343 on: March 16, 2010, 18:45:15 »

Rotovating session after work this afternoon, :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3344 on: March 17, 2010, 16:34:29 »
planted (and covered) some spuds, sowed carrots early nantes, radish ostergruss? sp.  radish sparkler, white carrots someone gave me from france, silverskin onions in bunches and white lisbon spring onions..transplanted lots of bacopa plug plants for the plant sale , transplanted some self seeded limnanthes and poppies ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3345 on: March 17, 2010, 17:58:39 »
Planted a bed of onion sets, and found a bag thrown into the stream at the back which was full of music books. Turned out to belong to the local school. Apparently it was stolen from the music department yesterday and they were really worried about it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3346 on: March 17, 2010, 18:41:30 »
Planted some carrots and onions and some peas.  Thought about potatoes.  Could not find any bare bums.    Everything is a bit dry.  Soil starting to set like concrete.

Let out a few peas from their cloches, hope the rabbits stay away

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3347 on: March 17, 2010, 18:55:31 »
put in some Garlic Arno, some Stuttgarter sets, sowed Sugarsnax carrots (the sweetest I ever tasted) and put my parsnip seed into the Root Run I made from a friend's unwanted box

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34459063@N00/4439357958/

Yesterday I planted peas
St Leonard's on Sea

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3348 on: March 17, 2010, 18:58:31 »
forgot about the kohl rabi, turnips and 3 types of beetroot  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3349 on: March 17, 2010, 19:35:04 »
Went to the lotty after work for another rotovating session and the muck is working in very nicely so can't wait to get the onions sets in followed by  broad beans , plants in the cold-frame coming on a treat, :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #3350 on: March 17, 2010, 20:21:48 »
Planted another line of Rockets
Watered the shallots
 ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3351 on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:00 »
Spent a few hours up at the plot today. I got the cover off the onions and gave them a good weed. I hate the way the soil gets a scummy layer on after the winter around the onions. Got the cover back on as quickly as possible just in case the onion fly decided to get out early( you never know)
Did a bit more work on the strawberry beds. Tony made some arches up for the sweet peas. Afraid they are going in a bit later this year. Its supposed to be raining for the next few days so wont be able to get up there. Its so grand to be going to the plot again.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3352 on: March 18, 2010, 10:02:16 »
I feel the same way Shirl nice to get back to the plot,yesterday i planted a bed of each Sturon and Jet set onions,dug up 3 black currant bushers that had been there donkeys years before i had the plot,then shoveled some sh*te to put on me Asparagus bed. But best of all coming home at 6 and the wife telling me this is a funny 5 o'clock it's a good job teas not ruined now i know I'm on the mend. ;D

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #3353 on: March 18, 2010, 16:07:45 »
Still nothing, waaah  :'(

But at least the weather's not as nice today. Stayed at home and sowed sweet peas and tended to my baby brassica seedlings, and noticed I have some tiny tomato seedlings as well  :) :)

Definitely going to go to the lottie at the weekend though. Even if I can't do anything I can get the OH to pull up some leeks while I watch  :)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3354 on: March 18, 2010, 16:15:12 »
Moved 8 peas, a couple of tomato plants and 4 Basil plants outside to the mini greenhouse, then ran in from the rain. Hopefully the rain will get everything properly growing now.  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #3355 on: March 18, 2010, 17:43:13 »
Finnished off my 3rd line of Rockets.  ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3356 on: March 18, 2010, 18:58:59 »
Mulched the onion sets I put in yesterday. One more bed to go, and they'll need fleecing to keep the onion fly at bay.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3357 on: March 18, 2010, 19:24:08 »
I dug over about a fifth of a large plot and pulled out nettle and other roots.  The problem is that, against my wishes, my husband sprayed it with Roundup last summer.  The nettle roots are not so strong now but I am wondering whether I should plant the plot with potatoes or leave it fallow for another year.   :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3358 on: March 18, 2010, 21:45:17 »
Spuds will be fine. Nettles are one of the few weeds which can compete, but they grow straight up through the potatoes and don't really affect them. If you've got the big roots out there shouldn't be much of this, and you can easily finish the things off when you lift the crop.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3359 on: March 19, 2010, 08:47:37 »
Finnished off my 3rd line of Rockets.  ;D ;D ;D
Bloody hell Corny how long a the rows? first lot Will be up before ye get the last lot in  ;D
Nothing down the plot yesterday stayed at home and had a tidy up in me front garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal