Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872959 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3260 on: March 01, 2010, 21:13:28 »
Checked on cerinthe seedlings that I'd moved to the unheated greenhouse..........survived the frost last night  ;D

Ninny

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #3261 on: March 01, 2010, 21:27:24 »
HI Y'All

Wonderful day here, sunny just a little chilly, no wind.  So.....threw some manure into dug trenches for beans later on....planted shallots and onions.  Dug Parsnips and Leeks, a fine crop even though my Parsnips do look like Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) in Pirates of the Caribbean!  Dug over small plot for some Lady Cristl earlies later this week.  Threw in a row of radishes and rocket.  Cloche covered some soil for warming up for pea planting.

Checked over all my houseplants in the Conservatory, and started off some more Sweet Peas I found lurking in a packet.

Bliss.

Regards
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3262 on: March 02, 2010, 19:10:41 »
I sowed some celeriac last night.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3263 on: March 02, 2010, 20:18:34 »
I sowed some celeriac last night.    ;D ;D ;D
snap, transplanted some chives today, plus carried on with sowing the pre-chitted parsnips, got 5 rows of 8 now  ;D

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3264 on: March 02, 2010, 20:21:18 »
me and my 2 year old moved the manure that i had been storing in the garden,  sowed some grass seeds and sorted out a load of compost which has got to go down the allotment with all the manure this weekend.

we're moving next month to a place with no garden  :'(  so everything has to come down the lotty with me before we move.
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3265 on: March 03, 2010, 09:08:54 »
I was at the lottie really early yesterday, it was so lovely, all frosty! Only a surface frost though, the soil was fine in a hour as the sun melted the frost away as I watched, wish I had my camera! Luckily my manure pile was covered and unfrozen, so I was able to dig it out and top up my potato beds that are now covered up ready to plant up in a few weeks. Pricked out my banana shallots and onions grown from seed into their final big modules, they are now in the cold greenhouse. Have a lot of sowing to do this week!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3266 on: March 03, 2010, 17:46:01 »
well i took my good friend and our 3 children down the lotty today to dig out some weeds and prepare a trench.....my girlfriends daughter liked the trench A LOT :)

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3267 on: March 03, 2010, 18:06:25 »
Hahahah, kids and muck  ;D ;D

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3268 on: March 03, 2010, 18:12:26 »
aww bless  ;)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3269 on: March 03, 2010, 18:23:59 »
Planted out 12 shallots undercover
Transplanted Strawberrys
Harvested carrots and parsnips.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3270 on: March 03, 2010, 18:38:41 »
The wind was to cold for me ,so spent a lovely long time in a cosy warm greenhouse .Potted on my tomato seedlings,sowed peppers,sprouts, sunflowers,stocks,watered my Epies and with slightly warmed rainwater that I have in a basin below the benches and stood gazing lovingly at my geranium cuttings whilst listening to classic fm on my little yellow radio .   Ah !   Life is good ! Debbie   :)
Trespassers will be composted !

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3271 on: March 04, 2010, 19:57:40 »
 Nothing today work in the way but a early finish tomorrow so off I'm up there tomorrow to lay slabs for my shed, but my babies in the cold frame at home are coming on a treat, I feel a real proud Dad, :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3272 on: March 04, 2010, 20:28:18 »
Barrowed some half-rotted autumn leaves, pottered about a bit.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3273 on: March 05, 2010, 19:24:52 »
planted 56 garlic' solent white' and 100 'sturon' onion sets.
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3274 on: March 05, 2010, 20:57:30 »
After finishing work I picked up my slabs from Focus plus roofing felt, straight to the lotty and got stuck in with the job in hand which was joining two 6'x4' sheds together, an hour and a half later I had the slabs laid plus the shed floor and the three sides up, manana is the roof and felting, the lotty is still a paddy field so I'm just glad that my cold frame is a god send, :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3275 on: March 05, 2010, 21:11:50 »
I cleaned my greenhouse.

Duke:)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3276 on: March 05, 2010, 21:18:21 »
Did some tidying up. Decided to remove all the Maxim strawberry plants I had underplanted my fruit tree cordons with, as the couch grass had wormed its way back into that spot and it was looking a real mess. So, I carefully forked them all out and replanted them on the plot next door where thay will hopefully be a bit happier! I plan to mulch the trees with the last bit of my old manure pile tomorrow.

Also pruned the blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes ...yes I know it's a bit late, but it was really just for making the path a bit clearer as they had grown so much!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3277 on: March 06, 2010, 18:10:03 »
It was really good up the lotty today seeing a couple of fellow lotty holders, still very wet but I got on with the  job in hand joining of sheds, :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3278 on: March 06, 2010, 18:15:34 »
sowed some more pre-chitted parsnips, that's it until the end of march, trying to sow every so often this year , extend the harvest  ;D

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3279 on: March 07, 2010, 13:26:00 »
Moved my carrot seedlings out into the mini greenhouse, need more room to sow stuff !!
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal