Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875397 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3240 on: February 27, 2010, 21:21:20 »
I think I would have more than tutted Anne ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #3241 on: February 27, 2010, 21:40:55 »
Finally managed to get out there and DIG  ;D ;D even though really it was a bit too wet

Dug in half the green manure and prepared the bed where the onion sets are going tomorrow. hee hee!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3242 on: February 28, 2010, 01:52:13 »
Discovered a mouse has eaten all  the broad bean seedlings I planted  out last week  :'( Will have to let the next batch get bigger before they go out... little gits only ate the bit of bean that was left.... not interested in the shoots or roots.... Moved content of a compost heap up the plot to the shed end (shaded) set fire to more ivy...

chrisc

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3243 on: February 28, 2010, 11:07:44 »
paddled about a bit.
You couldn't make it up!

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3244 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:11 »
Planted out the garlic which was already beginning to sprout, ran in from the rain.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #3245 on: February 28, 2010, 13:16:51 »
Sun came out so I planted:

Another row of Radishes (Scarlet Globe)  (first row has sprouted nicely)
A row of Carrots (Autumn King 2)
A row of Red Onion seeds (Red Baron)
A row of Brown Onion seeds (Rijnsburger 5)
and a row of Shallot seeds ( Paris Silverskin)
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #3246 on: February 28, 2010, 14:06:42 »
Nothing. My plot is like a big paddling pool at the mo. Think the weather is out to get me. It's only stopped raining on the days i can't get there but it's too wet to do anything in between anyway. :(  :(

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3247 on: February 28, 2010, 14:25:52 »
Cut down my autumn raspberries. Spread old compost from pots and some from my bin around rasps, artichokes and comfrey. Commiserated with neighbours over rabbit damage  >:(  Soil too wet to do anything else, but at least it stayed dry whilw I was there. Off to sow some seeds in the greenhouse now.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3248 on: February 28, 2010, 17:28:19 »
Still can't do anything on the lotty but went to our favorite garden center and bought broad bean seeds, peas and seed potatoes and the best £7.00 I have ever spent on 'The  Vegetableand Herb Garden' book very informative, :)

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #3249 on: February 28, 2010, 17:33:32 »
Still can't do anything on the lotty but went to our favorite garden center and bought broad bean seeds, peas and seed potatoes and the best £7.00 I have ever spent on 'The  Vegetableand Herb Garden' book very informative, :)

by Dr. D. G. Hessayon  ;D Tis the one ive got too.  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3250 on: February 28, 2010, 18:35:30 »
transplanted some ishikura onions seedlings, took them with the sweet pea seedlings to the plot, started melon, red cap cabbage, kalibos cabbage, romaine lettuce, little gem lettuce, yellow queen acquilegia, giant prague celeriac and black krim tomato seeds..gonna run out of windowsills soon ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3251 on: February 28, 2010, 18:54:22 »
Yesterday we top dressed fed and mulched the little front garden in the rain (because today was supposed to be really wet!) today we set 190 onion sets and sowed some onions, leeks, sprouts and sweet peas again... and then put some plants in the border and potted up some lillies.  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3252 on: February 28, 2010, 19:20:56 »

Can't put it down very good book for someone like me that know's nowt, :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3253 on: March 01, 2010, 02:45:29 »
The last of the compost got moved... it was my first year on a rather rough plot last year so I put several compost heaps (pallet types) down my plot so that I didn't have to do too much lugging around of weed roots, they just got thrown into the heap and a lot of the grass just got chucked on there as clods, it got them out of my way.... Now that I'm rather more on top of the weed issue I wanted to stop wasting 4 square metres of potentially productive soil and put all the compost up at the shed end cos it's too shaded right at the far end of my plot to grow things... the shade is nice in the summer though..... Also ran some more ivy through the incinerator and that allowed me to consign the bindweed roots I found in the compost to a firey doom.

chrisc

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3254 on: March 01, 2010, 15:23:34 »
planted a few spuds for Kev's challenge. cleared a bed ready for planting onion sets and shallots. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3255 on: March 01, 2010, 15:26:46 »
Feeling a bit better today, so went down the lottie, it was lovely and frosty first thing this morning, then really brightened up to a sunny day, most pleasant. I moved some more mulch onto the paths and had a bit of a weed and tidy up. I'm cream crackered now! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #3256 on: March 01, 2010, 15:47:34 »

Can't put it down very good book for someone like me that know's nowt, :)
Im the same, even my 6 year old has been reading it  :D

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #3257 on: March 01, 2010, 16:48:49 »
Finally remembered to collect the composter...didnt realise theyre quite that big ! 220L thing  :o
Anyway its in the garden  :)

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #3258 on: March 01, 2010, 18:28:17 »

Have not been to the allotment today, spent most of the day in the garden .
Planted two apple trees I had from Aldi, hope they go ,also dug up some unwanted old plants etc, just had a nice relaxing bath, having my tea and watching the t/v.
        June.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3259 on: March 01, 2010, 18:43:06 »
I'm a Dad,
              Looked in my coldframe this morning and most of my seeds have popped up after keeping it at 60 degrees over the last few days, just hoping that the weather keeps fine this week and it will be digging in the muck this weekend and putting up a shed :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal