Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875058 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3140 on: January 31, 2010, 10:23:40 »
Just been to the lotty to prepare the ground to erect my shed the ground and the muck I put on at the backend are like concrete so the the first job for me when the weather starts to warm up is get that muck dug in   :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:26:54 by Mr Smith »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3141 on: January 31, 2010, 15:08:22 »
General clear up
Emptied compost dalek and started to refill
Sowed tommie seeds this morning.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3142 on: January 31, 2010, 16:25:14 »
Finished building my 12x4 bed - it's main purpose is to define the end of the plot and the path.  Start to pile in the 50p bags of split compost from Homebase, but I shall need lots more :o

Moved the strawberry troughs in to the polytunnel and placed the black bukits ready for the toms (I know wishful thinking)

Put some reclaimed edging tiles down the edge of the flower beds.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3143 on: January 31, 2010, 16:30:01 »
Wanted to finish digging out some Germander hedges but the soil was frozen.. drove back fropm Cheshire through snow last night..  :-\

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #3144 on: January 31, 2010, 17:05:45 »
Measured up my plot to make a scale drawing (you can see it on my blog) so i can sort of plan for next year as i was to hungover to do any real work today :)

w00dy
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3145 on: February 03, 2010, 13:54:39 »
not in the garden but transplanted long red florence and purplette onions, plus oxheart tomatoes  ;D

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3146 on: February 05, 2010, 16:18:28 »
One broad bean shoot showing of the 6 my son planted in pots, moved the Broad Beans (Karmazyn), Tomatoes (Tigerella) and Blueberry Bush upstairs to the (occasionally) more sunny spare room.

Turned over the raised bed soil and removed yet more roots.

Planted some Radish seeds (Scarlet Globe) in the raised beds and rigged up a dodgy looking cheap cloch.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3147 on: February 07, 2010, 16:02:51 »
Had a 'proper' session at the lottie this morning, cleared away some overwintered celery, chard and tatty annuals, so it looks quite neat and ready to start all over again..... ;D

Will be sowing my banana shallots this afternoon, first seeds of the year... 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #3148 on: February 07, 2010, 16:25:59 »
Hi'Yall

Harvesed some leeks for leek and potato soup, started to weed strawberry bed, but it was too perishin' cold to carry on.  So I came home and planted chilli and leek seeds for the propagator, and sorted out seed collection over a nice warming cuppa!!

Regards
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3149 on: February 07, 2010, 16:40:24 »
We went up the lotty this morning to take some fence panels, wood and cardboard up there.

Laid the cardboard over a portion of the plot, a whole car load and still hasn't touched the weedy bits! 

Started to do some weeding but then the heavens opened on us and we made a swift retreat!

Still got my manure to take over, manure pile to make, compost to take over, paths to tred to define the beds and weeds to clear!

Hopefully it wont rain next week so we can get up there!
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3150 on: February 07, 2010, 16:54:48 »
Nothing much today, had a bit of a tidy in the greenhouse before picking some Leeks, for soup, cauliflower and parsnips for dinner.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3151 on: February 07, 2010, 19:12:26 »
Took Husbando to garden centre to show him exactly how I want him to make a cold frame for me. (he agreed very readily when he saw the price of a diy model in a box ;D)
Smile, it confuses people.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3152 on: February 07, 2010, 19:52:51 »
Bought a pergola £79 bargain and really sturdy. No clue how I'm going to get the thing up as its enormous! Then found a freshly loaded skip and was the first vulture there (what joy..) Two slatted wooden paths, a pile of huge plastic tubs and terracotta pots, a table that will be useful in my polytunnel, and an antique bicycle and dartboard. Am hoping the sale of the bicycle (vintage Raleigh, good condition) will cover the costs of the pergola!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #3153 on: February 07, 2010, 20:19:38 »
Nice one Lewic, I do love a fellow skippy.
I put down some cardboard, bubblewrap and shower curtain on top of some council compost, ready for the corny spud challenge yesterday.    ;D ;D ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3154 on: February 08, 2010, 12:40:53 »

I put down some cardboard, bubblewrap and shower curtain on top of some council compost, ready for the corny spud challenge yesterday.    ;D ;D ;D

Oh, really? I might just post a link to this on the spud thread you bad boy. Right, covering, covering, must find some covering. There's a skip on my road.... ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #3155 on: February 08, 2010, 16:33:49 »
It's all within the rules Emms.   :P          ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3156 on: February 08, 2010, 17:45:10 »
Yesterday I dug a path through the 12 tonnes of compost blocking the entrance to one of my plots...  :o
Today I went to visit Robert at the Guinea gardens in Birmingham and got back in time to dig up some leeks to make soup with..  :)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3157 on: February 08, 2010, 19:08:28 »
It's all within the rules Emms.   :P          ;D ;D ;D

:P yourself!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3158 on: February 09, 2010, 21:11:42 »
Well I was going to move the chicken run and start digging it for this years veg plot. But It was too cold so I sowed loads of seeds in trays and put them in the spare room where there is underfloor heating. The OH never goes in there but I bet she will now and insist I use the greenhouse or poly tunnel. It is far too cold out there, we have been spoilt for the last 10 years or so. I always had plants growing and grass cutting to do around about valentines day. Not this year though.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #3159 on: February 09, 2010, 22:30:27 »
Hi Y'All

Putting on several hundred layers of clothes, I trudged up to my lottie to dig over and cover a tiny bit of ground read for the Spud Challenge.  Then realised I had taken all the cardboard away a few weeks go, but found a tiny roll of elderly roofing felt - just the job weighted down with stones, till I can get more cardboard.  This Spud Challenge is going to be serious stuff I can tell.

Came home for a cuppa, posted a question on strawbs, got an answer I could act on immediately, so back up again to start a major tidy of my strawb patch.  Dug some leeks, and staggered home just as it was getting dark.  I can feel the sap start to rise, and all my old Spring obsessions returning......some of them even have to do with gardening weh hey!!!!!!! Where my OH!

(settle down girl, its still a while to Valentines Day!!!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal