Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875466 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2940 on: October 20, 2009, 19:20:12 »
Ray barrrowed loads of our 2 year old compost on to the poly borders so we can transplant the peas into it tomorrow, weeded around the chicories,the weeds are still growing here, picked the rest of the toms to take home ,plus some green peppers for sauce, cleaned partof the poly with jeyes, had a cuppa and a  laugh with some of the lads and ladies from our disabled group, checked the grapes in the fruit cage, they're going black but slowly  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2941 on: October 24, 2009, 08:53:08 »
Pulling the last of the F1 Sweetcorn this weekend  and that will be it so roll on next year, manure spreading finally completed with plenty left for other jobs, :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2942 on: October 25, 2009, 18:41:27 »
dug over a bed and limed and planted onion sets last chance to beat white rot,may not bother next year if this doesn't work,

picked raspberries,kale,pears and tomatoes,

moved mushrooms in to coldframe,took a few toad photos, fed  a lovely black cat, beautiful day weather wise,/ shades x
grow your own way

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2943 on: October 25, 2009, 18:49:19 »
planted the red onion sets and garlic we bought yesterday, dug up the celeriac to store as one had gone to seed, dug up the last celery, going to try the shove it in a bucket method and see if it will last a bit, cleared all the manky leaves off the brassicas, picked calabrese and some blown sprouts, dried beans and popcorn  ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2944 on: October 25, 2009, 22:23:31 »
Nothing for hubby and I as we were busy decorating  :o (it doesn't happen that often!).

Our daughter tho' took up the rake and cleared the lawn of fallen oak tree leaves........still reeling from the shock but she said it was like a workout.  All the leaves put over the fence into the woodland where the oak grows, just hope my primrose bank survives that I planted last spring. I forgot to tell her that there are two old dustbins behind the shed for them (was too busy pointing out the bits that hubby had missed  ;D)

Ninny

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2945 on: October 25, 2009, 22:32:04 »
We are decorating too so I am behind with the gardening and at the allotment. Yesterday I painted five doors and became really ill because of the fumes of the paint. Lay awake allnight with a dry throat, stinging eyes and very hyper active. Must try to find about about some better paint to use. The same thing happened to me when we painted doors last week too. Today I feel very chesty and very tired.
 :'(
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2946 on: October 25, 2009, 23:19:46 »
Picked some carrots and cabbage... but nothing much as we had guests...  :-\

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2947 on: October 28, 2009, 16:04:45 »
Red letter day today. Not been to plot for a week or so, today was free so I went and I'm sooooo glad I did. I was given red currant bushes x 2 white currant x1, 2 gooseberry bushes and a tayberry bush. Bought some beautiful wallflower plants from a plotter who grows and sells them for a charity,gave away some strawberry runners and a rhubarb crown, but best of all I've been given another 5 rod!!! Off to celebrate with a cuppa. ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2948 on: October 28, 2009, 17:23:05 »
slightly off topic, sorry!

Must try to find about about some better paint to use. The same thing happened to me when we painted doors last week too.

I was worried about the VOCs in normal white gloss paint (worried about OH's asthma and cat's little lungs, and the unpleasant smell and fumes) and after a bit of googling found a company called ECOS who do much healthier paint: http://www.ecosorganicpaints.com/
you can wash the gloss off your brushes and rollers using water rather than turps, and there's virtually no smell (it doesn't smell all chemically like 'normal' paint, but it does have a very slight smell). my only criticism would be that you probably need one maybe two more coats as it's a little thinner than normal gloss, it is more expensive, and it's not quite as hard wearing, but if you prep your surfaces well before getting started it dries very quickly to a lovely smooth finish and the white is very white. I wouldn't use anything else now.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 17:27:46 by norfolklass »

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2949 on: October 28, 2009, 18:21:15 »
Not very hopefully, cut the grass for the last time this year.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2950 on: October 28, 2009, 18:35:37 »
A bit of weeding
Harvested cucumbers and beetroot
Forked over a bit more ground for the strawberrys
Took home produce with some stored spuds.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2951 on: October 29, 2009, 18:36:29 »
dug up my courgette plants, weeded and dug a bed and planted some Italian white garlic a fellow lottie holder gave me,

picked a melon, tomatoes and raspberries,/ shadesx

grow your own way

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2952 on: October 29, 2009, 19:35:42 »
Nipped up for an hour or two this afternoon, planted the rest of the strawberries, moved stuff around, (piles of this and that) and prepared the onion bed ready for Saturday's plant up. Chatted to new neighbour and various others. All very pleasant. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2953 on: October 29, 2009, 21:23:42 »
Sorted out my shallots that had started to divide on the strings.  Tonybloke said these are the ones I should plant not the little ones I had saved (they'll go into the pickling jar now). Thank you for the advice Tony.  :)

Watered fuchsia cuttings sparingly - and noticed a few dead sticks had produced leaves at the bases with this warm weather.

Ninny

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #2954 on: October 30, 2009, 18:23:11 »
Weeded me Jap onion bed,the red ones seem a bit slow of the mark ???,dug over where me sweet corn had been,put some cat pepper down a rat hole in compost bin the bugger made me jump when i took the lid off.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2955 on: October 30, 2009, 18:23:47 »
our grandson officially took over 2 of our beds today, he's 10 and wanted to start growing his own veggies..today, he planted lots of onions, red, white and yellow, we need to get him some garlic now... raked over his bed for the broad beans he's been growing, moved a trough of strawberries over to 'his' side, nabbed one of my leaf bags to grow carrots in next year and put some overwintering peas in to a pot to grow..phew, I'm worn out  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2956 on: October 30, 2009, 18:42:29 »
Nowt, but i picked two huge armfulls of Dahlias and Chrysants yesterday...
 :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2957 on: October 31, 2009, 21:47:15 »
Fab managed to get out and do a little today. collected armful of leaves, well not quite accurate as the mower did most of the work, but a good haul. Weeded jap onions and garlic beds with supadupa new onion hoe. Picked some beans, a few toms, peppers and aubs (from poly) and a handful of corrie for curry tonight yum!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2958 on: October 31, 2009, 21:51:18 »
emptied all the spent compost out of the parsnip bed onto next year's brassica bed, pulled some leeks and picked some more dried beans, took off all the manky leaves on the cabbages, etc and fed them, white fly and all, to the chickens  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2959 on: October 31, 2009, 22:36:21 »
Nothing at all. I'm still recovering from cracking my ribs a couple of weeks ago so just looked out wistfully at the sunshine. Boohoo! Not like me to be that sensible really! ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal