Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875806 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2760 on: August 09, 2009, 20:02:26 »
I forgot to say but I will be brief one of my lotty mates gave me a peach and said I could help myself to his polytunnel

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2761 on: August 09, 2009, 21:18:38 »
pricked out and put into individual cells some seedlings of kohl rabi, pak choi. mizuna, turnips and kale.

also planted into cells some tiny cloves of garlic which i removed from some of the stems of my home grown crop. i know they won't really get very big but plan to pot them up further when their roots are showing and will grow them in pots/ window boxes for a possible early crop next year, we'll see if the experiment works.

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #2762 on: August 09, 2009, 21:53:36 »
Harvested my spring planted garlic. Some were only starting to put out scrapes, so I probably should have left them a bit longer...

Planted my elephant garlic pips. 

Transplanted turnips, khol rabi & beetroot from root trainers. Sowed radish & oriental leaves.

Tried to work out what has been munching on my horseradish & tree spinach leaves. Failed. (Looks like slugs, but might be caterpillars... )

Dropped a few slugs into boiling water & then put them out on the shed roof for the birds.  8)

Picked some 'Twilight', 'Ring of Fire' and Lidl's chillies; dropped some into a bottle of tequila, made something resembling an harissa paste with the rest ;)

Harvested & prepped for freezing chives, dill, garlic chives, various basil, parsley, tarragon, winter savory, broad beans, mange tout & peas.

Emptied two buckets of spuds and replanted with earlies.

Turned over a few borders in preparation for nematoding tomorrow.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #2763 on: August 09, 2009, 22:48:33 »
Watered, picked courgettes a few toms.  Worried about my PFA so dug one up, got some really odd shapes but they looked fine.  There is blight all over the site so cut them right down, am planning to leave them in for a couple of weeks and then get them up, hope thats a good idea  ???

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2764 on: August 10, 2009, 18:47:36 »
Yesterday I dug up some more Lady Chrystl, no slug damage unlike the rocket.
Transplanted strawberry runners and watered in.
Mixed  home compost into the dalek.
Harvested beetroot and spuds.
Was given some apples and plums from a lady lottie holder.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2765 on: August 10, 2009, 20:36:16 »
Not to much today dodging the showers but managed to pick beetroot, runners, peas and a marrow, weather to pick up for the rest of the week so it will be a chance to rotovate the mustard in, :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2766 on: August 10, 2009, 20:57:47 »
Had a good day today, picked some blackberries to give to my ex allotment friend, who had to give it up (they were her blackberries, and she did ask what about my strawberries, told her I had picked a few for jam, she said I could, feel guilty now).   Went round and begged some courgettes from Manuel, and 3 lovely freshly laid eggs from Keith's wife, and stole (yes stole) some beans from Joe Swift's allotment (only a few, promise) as he is away in France (I hope)  and a few beans from my allotment and then walked round to see her, carrying my eggs, blackberries and stolen goods.  She is OK but has been registered blind, although she can see with a magnifying glass.  Told her that her allotment has not been taken on yet, so if her pears etc are still there I will take her something round in a couple of weeks, might go round with my begging bowl and ask for something as most people knew her up there and I don't care. Wouldn't ask for myself.  Was tempted to pinch one egg to eat myself but she got all three, as I think wants comes around goes around. 

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2767 on: August 10, 2009, 21:07:57 »
not much, after checking the realseed site last night about harvesting amaranth (i thought mine looked ready as their flower/ seed heads have started to droop) so i did the test and yep some were ready to be harvested so i did, as the weather looked like it might rain tonight and didn't want lose any of the grain.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2768 on: August 10, 2009, 22:28:07 »
 :D picked runner and two types of purple French beans,courgettes, loads of toms, dandelions for my tortoise,was given loads of greengages,a blue water butt and a compost bin, cut the grass paths again,cut my potatoes down as they have blight,picked some raspberries/ shades x
grow your own way

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2769 on: August 11, 2009, 20:31:31 »
Dug up last of the Lady Christyl and barrowed some council compost on the old spud soil but was too hot so I came home.   8)
I returned later and watered and picked a small cauli.
I had some plums from lottie neighbour Ann and picked some Rhubarb from the secs plot, a little late but I'll give them to next door and see how they go.  :-\        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2770 on: August 11, 2009, 21:16:33 »
Picked runners,french,runners,peas,runners,red cabbage-like a football weighed a ton,runners,lettuce,toms oh and did I mention runners :o
sanity is overated

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2771 on: August 11, 2009, 23:03:23 »
this morning before going out with the kids i picked runners, french beans, some tomatoes, a cucumber and the first scalloped squash which i didn't even know was there, i just happened to notice a white thing under the plant, on investigation there was a huge squash to harvest.

this afternoon after my day out with the kids, i potted up the tomato plants i have grown from cuttings into their final buckets, the Broad Ripple Yellow current already has two young fruit on it, hopefully we get an indian summer and maybe i'll have tomatoes for christmas from the greenhouse.

harvested some springonions and more tomatoes.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2772 on: August 11, 2009, 23:22:15 »
Dug up last four rows of Potatoes on the top lottie. Picked a kg of cherry toms and some Autumn Bliss Rasps... some Runner beans and kohl rabi...  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2773 on: August 12, 2009, 11:25:52 »
Had a good tidying up session with son helping. Cleared the two remaining outdoor tomatoes that had survived the blight....not! Cleared and weeded the salad bed, Cam sowed some more lettuces and salad onions. Cleared lots of borage that seeded itself everywhere but getting tatty now, so to the compost heap they go!

Harvested purple climbing french beans, a few courgettes and some greengages that are just about ripe and already very sweet. The yellow raspberries are lovely, but rarely survive making it back home...I wonder why?

I had planned to dig some more potatoes up today, and take down my ruined cauliflowers under the environmesh tunnel, but the rain suggests otherwise..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2774 on: August 12, 2009, 17:18:34 »
had another day out planned so just got the watering done this morning, but harvested with the girls 8lbs of cherry plums from the side of the road on the way home. will go back in a weeks time to see if the yellow one are ripe.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2775 on: August 12, 2009, 18:17:31 »
cut the first kalibos cabbage  ;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2776 on: August 12, 2009, 21:01:33 »
Wow Thifasmom what a lucky find :)and aren't young children useful at times ;D
sanity is overated

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2777 on: August 12, 2009, 21:03:39 »
Now I'm jealous Rekellah...  :)

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2778 on: August 12, 2009, 21:17:25 »
dug up the last of our new pots, picked a cabbage, some beans and carrots  for tea. and they were all delicious

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2779 on: August 12, 2009, 22:48:22 »
Wow Thifasmom what a lucky find :)and aren't young children useful at times ;D

they do come into their own from time to time :).

Now I'm jealous Rekellah...  :)

glad to reciprocate the emotion ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal