Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872962 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2660 on: July 23, 2009, 16:10:24 »
Watered and fed the greenhouses. Picked some courgettes but gave them to old Mr Hall on the next plot. Edged the Lawn for OH  ::) Potted up Hectors parcel. Generally nantled...  :)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #2661 on: July 23, 2009, 17:30:05 »
Put in my 2nd crop of runners and some January king, Then made up a water butt of my special feed for the giant pumpkin ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2662 on: July 23, 2009, 22:15:00 »
Had some compost delivered from the Council, but only got a couple of wheelbarrows as was tired, after grandchild last night, very excited at finishing primary school and breaking up for holidays.  Watered and fed the pumpkin as instructed by Manuel (four watering cans per day, even if raining and feeding with tomatoe feed twice a week) and he murdered 3/4 tiny little pumpkins as he said I wouldn't get a big one if I left the tiny ones on. (Does this work with men, or is that rude  ;D ;D ).  I don't really want a very big pumpkin, what am I going to do with it ??? Think it must be a man thing, my pumpkin is bigger than yours, who cares, not me.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2663 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:19 »
picked all the rest of the cherries(14 in all)  , tasted delicious;D
planted out some kohl rabi seedlings and calabrese, picked sweetcorn, cucumber, toms, ishikura onions as spring onions for my daughter..payment for having the dog for a couple of days, came home and made 8lb of strawberry jam..got to make room in the freezer somehow  ;D

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #2664 on: July 26, 2009, 11:58:04 »
Lifted some more carrots and cabbage for dinner.
I also took some runner beans down the old folks home for them too.
Had a go at the weeds, but they won again. Don't they always? :-[

Got them back now to put some tread on them

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2665 on: July 26, 2009, 13:41:36 »
Nowt at the plot today but spent the morning blanching broad beans(Green Windsor) Beautiful colour, blanching the six cauli and chopping loads of rhubarb. All harvested from the plot yesterday. Gotta do some housework now while tone watches the car racing.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2666 on: July 26, 2009, 16:24:47 »
Went down the lotty to prepare a bed for Mustard seed but I was  interupted by a fellow lotty holder about  the coming meeting to form our allotment association, three hours later I was pissed off with talking to people so I came home,

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2667 on: July 26, 2009, 17:19:26 »
Whilst I do enjoy a little chat with fellow plot holders, there are some folks that can talk fer England and it is annoying when you only have set amount of time to do the things that you have planned to do.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2668 on: July 26, 2009, 18:00:15 »
No-one spoke to me today and feeling a bit sad, then I had two people looking at my pumpkin and think I might to learn to speak Portugese and Italian.  But after feeling lonely, I had two lectures about pumpkins.  Have left some cougettes and runner beans outside neighbours house.  Blackberries next door which she likes, and feeds my cat when on holiday.  Just going to look up recipes for squash soup/courgette soup.  My takeaway is due soon so goodbye.  Saw Joe Swift and his daughter up there today, taking photos of her with a sunflower which he picked and took home in his car.     

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2669 on: July 26, 2009, 18:08:00 »

That used to happen to me, lady next plot to me [ her garden backed onto her plot, so she

could pop out - whenever ! ]   used to 'corner me ', do like a chat, but you gotta show

something for a 3 to 4 hour 'session ',    she used to 'chander ' away head down - oblivious !

Tried to say yes and no in the right places,  gave up in the end and went ' deaf ',

- sad, but true.        :-[

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2670 on: July 26, 2009, 18:30:56 »
You have to read the body language.

I am on the first plot so most people pass my plot.

If they walk fast and are give you a quick wave that is enough to tell you they want to get on with it.

If they come and stand next to the plot you know they want a chat.

I enjoy a chat but if I want to get on I just say that I must carry on as a lot to do in a small time.Be firm about it,but smile. ;D

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2671 on: July 26, 2009, 18:54:48 »

Thank you betula, I value you're comments but had to give up the lottie in April,

-  now hubby and I tend our large garden, he says very little  - but is  '  meaningful ''

if you know what I mean !   ::)        Is working well,   ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2672 on: July 26, 2009, 18:55:20 »
Picked the veg for dinner,cauli,calabrese,carrots and cabbage(got all the potatoes out yesterday)....had to do it in double quick time though before the rain came!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2673 on: July 26, 2009, 22:28:59 »
Planted three aubergine plants in the greenhouse that had were missed when I put the rest in. Sowed some more lettuce - lollo rosso and winter density - and a handful of dwarf beans. Tied up more onions.

Potted up hydrangea cuttings that had put on loads of root in a jam jar full of water, picked off flower buds from fuchsia cuttings and cut more sweet peas.

Froze Primo II cabbages - grew Greyhound too this year but they didn't perform as well.

Saved seed from Delphiniums, Sweet Williams and Calendula.

Ate a Sweet Million tomato - the one and only ripe tomato so far!

Linda

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2674 on: July 27, 2009, 12:25:34 »
On Saturday managed to bag up my first harvest for this year of potatoes - salads, plus some second earlies. Sp these should last to end of the summer. My early maincrops are doing well - I have dug some of these up as thought they had blight but now being told its potassium deficiency - so will leave the rest alone.

Harvested calabrease, summaer cauli, Pax gooseberries (eating these for lunch now), ridge cucumber - small one, tomatoes, runner and french beans.

On Sunday was confined to shed as chucking it down so cleaned up my over wintered onions which have now dired off and put them into their new storage racks. Really pleased with these as the canteen at work were throwing out stacking mushroom trays - ideal for storing onions and apples in.

Today - well back at work - its lunch and raining outside - so what better than to browse A4A :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2675 on: July 27, 2009, 22:04:44 »
Went down to water my toms and found the council had started to do the groundwork for our new carpark, :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2676 on: July 27, 2009, 22:13:42 »
 :) dug more pots, picked runner and purple and green french beans,

picked courgettes and mint. dandelion leaves for my tortoise,

picked Alicante,Gardeners  Delight and Tumbling tom tomatoes,

cut cornflowers and sunflowers for the house,

watered and fed plants in greenhouses / shades x
grow your own way

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2677 on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:10 »
Just back fro stringing onions in the allotment shed with the rain coming down how civilised also the allotment car park is finished, :)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #2678 on: July 29, 2009, 11:25:33 »
Well I finally got the Chinese leaves out. The family have been stuffed with these over the past few weeks.
Parsley has gone past it now so more has been planted in its place.
More runners picked for us and the old folks, as well as cabbages which have come on really well.
Prepared a bed for the sowing of carrots, radish, spring onion, and beetroot.
I have yet to get the coldframe ready for the pending autumn.
There is still so much to think about but given the time and the weather I shall get it all done.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2679 on: July 29, 2009, 11:32:19 »
Generally nantled...  :)

What is a nantle????? Is this a secret gardener thing  ;D
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal