Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873003 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2440 on: May 22, 2009, 07:13:57 »
.  Looked at Joe Swift's allotment and think he has almost more mares tail than me, know he is at Chelsea Flower Show, but he really needs to get up to his allotment when possible and do some weeding.(Quote from Borlotti)

Yeah but then that would be real gardening wouldn't it. Unless of course he is going to make a tv program about clearing overgrown plots. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2441 on: May 23, 2009, 16:59:42 »
Really proud of myself today, I was down the lotty just after 0730 gave it a good watering with water(I think that is what you put on plants) and then I really struggled with not knowing which end of the hoe I had to put in the ground, but after about thirty minutes a lotty friend came along and said its that bit you stick in so I put that bit in to the ground, not really knowing again what I'm doing what should I do next, OLLIE WHERE THE _U_K  are you, ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2442 on: May 23, 2009, 17:06:34 »
Did some second digging, of a bit that had been rough dug to get the couch out that we missed the first time...  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2443 on: May 23, 2009, 17:17:59 »
weeded the pea/bean bed, pulled some onions that had started to shoot, looked at my peaches growing, so excited, first year  ;D
planted some african and ordinary marigolds, firkled some more new spuds for tea, couple were like bakers  :o
tied in tomatoes, they're growing like weeds, planted up the sweet potato slips, the other one is looking well(cutting from last year)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2444 on: May 23, 2009, 21:32:41 »
Transplanted some Greyhound and Derby Day into their final growing postions, planted out cucumbers and celeriac, weeded and watered.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2445 on: May 23, 2009, 21:33:09 »
planted, watered, weeded. oh yeah and shaded the greenhouse ;D.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2446 on: May 24, 2009, 20:20:49 »
Prepared the bed for me carrots (the Tee Gee way) Filled the trenches with the used sieved compo. Heeled in the tulips for the summer and gave them a scattering of growmore to feed the bulbs.Planted up a 3 tier planter that we got from Wilkies in the sale last year. Put in all busy lizzies. Ower Bunjies new partner is a chef so he did us all a lovely barbecue. Ain't gotta cook tonight. Watered and got home at 7-45pm.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

siandc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2447 on: May 24, 2009, 20:49:39 »
Had a barbie and Sunbathed mostly!   ;D

DaveR

• Not So New ...
    • Life on the plot - the diary of a novice allotmenteer
« Reply #2448 on: May 24, 2009, 20:55:25 »
Planted some red onion sets, did some weeding and some watering!
http://lifeontheplot.blogspot.com/ - the diary of a novice allotmenteer.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2449 on: May 24, 2009, 21:11:27 »
Started off a barrel of comfrey liquid, and did some beekeeping; I'm in the process of raising a couple of queens.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2450 on: May 24, 2009, 21:13:05 »
Sowed the rest of my runners.
Sowed a  line of carrots.
Watered.
Went to the Pub.
 ;D ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2451 on: May 24, 2009, 21:28:14 »
You keep your Queens to yourself Robert, what you do at the weekend is your business.                                                                          :o      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2452 on: May 24, 2009, 22:18:34 »
 :) planted more toms and chillies, sunbathed a bit, sat under my cherry tree to cool down, chatted quite a lot, sunbathed a bit, sat under cherry tree etc too hot to garden  8) 8) 8)

picked spinach and onions for my tea and dandelions for my tortoise ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2453 on: May 24, 2009, 22:26:56 »
Oh angle shades, you lucky thing, a tortoise..................my absolute favourite.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2454 on: May 24, 2009, 23:09:57 »
how did you fix those lovely net curtains over the greenhouse roof?

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2455 on: May 24, 2009, 23:44:29 »
planted out some more sweet peas, sieved some soil and filled growing containers to finally start to plant out the oca, ulluca and yakon sieving was hot work so had to stop, hope to complete them tomorrow. watered anything that needed watering.

Didn't get as much done as i would have liked as i was on mummy duty for the majority of the day at the leisure centre's pool.

how did you fix those lovely net curtains over the greenhouse roof?

I'll try to explain in plain english :-), i joined the bottom of the two panels together (leaving the top ends which you would normally put the curtain rod through as the hems, this allowed me to put a bamboo can through which gave it some weight so the wind didn't keep blowing it up).

when sewing the two panels together i made sure to leave a gap the exact width of the window for eg:
...................            ...........................................................
and that's it really. after i placed it on the greenhouse and worked the window through the gap, i made sure it was correctly laid out and positioned (putting the bamboo canes through the hems should help do this as it keeps everything in place), i took note of where the latch for the window was resting on the curtain and cut a small slit which allowed the latch to be passed through the curtain. now the window should be on the outside but the latch should now be accessable from on the inside. at night or whenever you choose you should be able to close the window down onto the curtain (as it is so thin it doesn't form any real obstruction) and the latch can be secured inside as per normal.

i hope this all makes sense, if not let me know in a pm and I'll take a few pictures to clarify further :).

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2456 on: May 25, 2009, 20:10:43 »
Planted out some more lettuces in a wooden frame, the pallet topper collapsable thingy.
Put up some wooden blinds on the fence next to the park as a screen.
Watered.     ;D ;D ;D

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2457 on: May 25, 2009, 20:50:33 »
Weeded through the 2 rows of parsnips - nightmare! Think I will stick with the toilet roll method next year. Did a little video of the plot. Am on Half Term this week so have plans to get lots done at the plot.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2458 on: May 25, 2009, 22:00:56 »
I have worked hard this weeked. Have done all the seasonal jobs around the house and garden (cut back 50 m hedge, spring cleaned conservatory, repotted all the patio containers, and cleaned the house, done the washing and cooked). And found time to put up my tomato house which i construct from scratch each year and planted toms in it, planted out pumpkins/squashes under cloches. weeded lotties 1 and 2. finished digging lottie 3, erected bean frames and sowed my courgettes and cucumbers. Oh and dug and planted out herb bed, planted out leeks and zebrune banana shallots.

I sow wish I did not have to go back to work tomorrow I feel like i am on a roll at the moment.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2459 on: May 25, 2009, 23:47:28 »
sieved some soil and filled growing containers to finally start to plant out the oca, ulluca and yakon

more of this only a few more to do now but quickley running out ofsoil :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal