Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 878027 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2360 on: May 07, 2009, 19:39:54 »
Manured my chrysanth run and got the bed ready for me courgettes. (5 this year). Tone got the PSB out and stripped it for the bunnies.  Planted my gojiberry. Went to get some trout pellets for the fish and came away with 2 new plants. Jacobs ladder and another plant like an iris but it's not. Will take a pic tomorrow. Wind playing havoc with the aquilega and colombine, had to put some wire netting around them
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2361 on: May 07, 2009, 21:08:54 »
pricked out the Chinese cabbage and 2nd set of lettuce

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #2362 on: May 07, 2009, 21:22:14 »
 Just done weeding today didnt have to water as its started to rain just as i was finishing weeding ;D now how often does that happen.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #2363 on: May 08, 2009, 11:47:49 »
defleeced tender plants and saw how many weeds have come up   :o since Tuesday thanks to the rain...sun...rain...sun we've been having here in Surrey

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2364 on: May 08, 2009, 14:47:30 »
tied in and pinched out the sideshoots from the tomatoes, firkled some new spuds and picked some psb for tea..sowed some barlottis, leeks and lettuce for follow on crops  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2365 on: May 08, 2009, 18:48:04 »
Well today was one o them days when as soon as you started something, down came the rain. Our Tracy (akaBunjy) has just got a GH and we sat in there sheltering from the rain and drinkin tea. Did manage to plant 5 lavender plants around the area where we sit for a break.(wots that) weeded amongst the broad beans, I took these pics today. The one is of the new plant I got yesterday. (What a bloody mouthful)[]
sisyrichium siriatum "Aunt May"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 18:50:39 by shirlton »
                             I want em saying

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2366 on: May 08, 2009, 18:54:06 »
Here are the other 2
                             I want em saying

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2367 on: May 08, 2009, 19:33:47 »
I planted my sweet corn, and please do not tell me it is too early.  It was outgrowing the pots.  Pulled up mares tail as it is just coming up everywhere.  Looked at the overgrown plots surrounding me and felt like giving up.  Picked some everlasting spinach for dinner, and wondered why I am the only person that seems to have lost my mint.  Redcurrants seem to be doing well, so netted some, birds watching what I was doing.  Strawberries in flower, did some watering as in spite of the rain this morning the soil was still dry.  Potatoes coming up.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2368 on: May 09, 2009, 00:30:06 »
Last night picked up another couple of hippo bags and got some more topsoil of freecycle... dropped off at site tonight... also potted on a couple of dozen tomatos, 90 asparagus plants, some chillis, beetroot, lettuce, assorted herbs and even a spice (I grow coriander for the seed :D) so now there is a big pile of 15-shot module trays outside the GH hardening off, basil in 4" terracotta with gritty compost in the  GH ... meanwhile on the plot itself I managed a test-rig of the brassica frame (it's 2" aluminium scaffolding poles and will be a walk-in structure) and planted out another tray of peas (24 plants) and established a brassica nursery bed (under chickenwire) and transferred in the assorted cabbages, caulis and brussels that were in modules are now in soil.......

Need to get more topsoil over the weekend......... need more hippo bags too ......

[/knackered]

chrisc

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2369 on: May 09, 2009, 15:49:19 »
planted some roma tomatoes in the poly, courtesy of a friend, planted more basil next to them, nearly a full bed now..
sowed swede and radish, can't believe I ran out of radish..picked an overwintered onion that started to go to seed, plus some spring onions and lettuce for tea  ;D
all of this while people were coming on buying plants

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2370 on: May 09, 2009, 16:18:45 »
planted some roma tomatoes in the poly, courtesy of a friend, planted more basil next to them, nearly a full bed now..
sowed swede and radish, can't believe I ran out of radish..picked an overwintered onion that started to go to seed, plus some spring onions and lettuce for tea  ;D
all of this while people were coming on buying plants

You still selling plants tommorrow manic? Got many brassicas left? Slugs have demolished nearly all mine in the greenhouse overnight  :'( I would like summer cabbage, red cabbage, brussels, calabrese, sprouting brocolli and swede.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2371 on: May 09, 2009, 19:54:19 »
only got summer cabbages, sparkly, Tony may have sprouts and cauli..I've some small calabrese and swede, I can put some to one side for you if you'd like  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2372 on: May 09, 2009, 23:44:41 »
yesterday i dug some more holes (these are for aubergines and sweetpeppers) and half filled them with small mammal manure and backfilled, will be doing more of the same today (this lot will be for the courgettes and cucumbers).

well my abdomen is killing me from the holes i dug yesterday and the sunday, so i wimped out and transplanted my french marigolds and spring onions instead, also sifted some compost and added it to the bed i planted the spring onions in, then i still had a half hour to kill so i bit the bullet and dug two holes for the cucumbers, OUCH!!!! washboard tummy here I come ;).

dug ten more holes today in very stony soil back filled with rabbit manure and sifted the Stone topsoil, now my back is killing me.

ah well only 8 more to do but in the raised beds so less stones

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #2373 on: May 10, 2009, 00:18:32 »
More digging..... Then put my savoy and broc in.....
At home started to paint the fence with the stain Mrs had got only for her to say it wasn't the colour she though and dont like it ::)
 So of to diy store tomoz to get a diff colour ???

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2374 on: May 10, 2009, 16:32:22 »
tied in haricot, purple podded and runner beans..planted my squash out, sowed some beetroot..weeded the other onion bed and sowed some Ishikura onions..met a lovely lady from here called Sparkly, had a chat and a cuppa and sold her some plants  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2375 on: May 10, 2009, 16:53:35 »
Still at it, just come in to make a cuppa!  :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2376 on: May 10, 2009, 17:33:01 »
tied in haricot, purple podded and runner beans..planted my squash out, sowed some beetroot..weeded the other onion bed and sowed some Ishikura onions..met a lovely lady from here called Sparkly, had a chat and a cuppa and sold her some plants  ;D

Was great to meet you both today Manic. You have a lovely site with a great community spirit. Thanks for the cuppa too!  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2377 on: May 10, 2009, 17:47:49 »
Went to the plot this morning to get some rhubarb for our son and his partner to take back to Consett with them. They left 5 mins ago and guess what is still in the fridge (you got it rhubarb). Will have to put it in the freezer now. Potted on some more Tomatoes and emptied the tubs of tulips in the garden. Have saved the spent compost to fill in the carrot trench like Tee Gee said to do. Am hoping for some fantastic autumn king to store this year.
                             I want em saying

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #2378 on: May 10, 2009, 18:13:41 »
I weeded the carrot and onion bed, strimmed the grass,potted on the cauliflower, feed the compost bin and watered. Need to dig my next bed but can't as the ground is too hard. I never thought i would say this pre allotment but....... i sure wish it would rain lol   :) :)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #2379 on: May 10, 2009, 20:03:18 »
More digging then put out my purple sprouting and romanesc cauli..... Got to plant more ordinary cauli as the all scorched in the green house.....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal