Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873004 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2320 on: May 04, 2009, 10:18:34 »
Leaving the lotty alone today to wet but I have plenty to do when it dries up later this week, :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2321 on: May 04, 2009, 16:31:21 »
weeded the onion beds, planted some romanesco broccoli, firkled for some new spuds, only took 6..planted another squash under fleece  ;D

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #2322 on: May 04, 2009, 16:40:26 »
weeded and watered, it has just started to rain here and i hope it keeps going, over night would be nice. It's so dry on my allotment that i've got big cracks in the soil. My poor parsnips are on a cliff :-[

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2323 on: May 04, 2009, 16:41:15 »
This weekend we cleared a 30x30ft square on our 2nd plot, put weed suppressant fabric dug in over half of it for pumpkins and filled the rest with potatoes in trenches. Glad that is done!  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2324 on: May 04, 2009, 18:13:34 »
 Day off from the plot today. Went to see me Mom this morning and worked me butt off freeing up the GH tables that I was using outside to harden me plants off. Tone uses them upside down for standing his tomato buckits in.Them tables are in costant use in and out of the GH. Now have trays of plants standing on the gravel path with old supermarket baskets over them. Don't want to plant out just in case there's a frost. It would eb such a shame to lose them after all the hard work.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2325 on: May 04, 2009, 18:17:26 »
Took a day off too, went to Trentham with OH and some friends, it rained but not enough to worry about..  :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2326 on: May 04, 2009, 20:19:10 »
Got down to the plot before the rain started in earnest and managed to do a little bit and then got too wet. But yesterday I did a fair bit of digging and clearing of the additional plot I have taken on, and also sowed all my squash and bean seeds in modules, plus cleared a newly discovered strawberry bed on the new plot.

Less pleasant found what looks like a rat run near my shed - time to grit my teeth and sort it out. i am not looking forward to that at all.

Sprouting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2327 on: May 04, 2009, 20:28:42 »
Cleared out the greenhouse :)
Moved some Strawberries, hope they will be ok ???
Potted lots of Flower seeds :)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2328 on: May 04, 2009, 20:35:00 »
Dug over the very dry front border, even today's showers didn't penetrate more than half an inch.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2329 on: May 04, 2009, 20:48:12 »
wanted to go to Manicscousers openday but had to wait in for my old Mini to be repaired in time for work tomorrow......sooo more digging ( boy am I feeling it  ::) ) ....hubby has made me a 3 by 3 foot 6 potato planter like this http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/homegarden/2002347126_potatoes25.html but bigger. Hubby and kids painted potato thing.

Sowed more seeds, pricked out Romanescue early...Snapdragon...Mesanbrium (can't spell them).....more digging again....clearing more wasteland..................planted some garlic....reptted a climber.....moved a toad to a safer place!!!....dug up what looks like a hidden supply of broken bathroom tiles and muckle big bricks and boulders.
Went out and bought some essentials.
I am now flaked out with a BIG Pimms and lemonade.
Jackie

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2330 on: May 04, 2009, 21:19:46 »
don't worry, hector..hope your car's okay  ;D

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2331 on: May 04, 2009, 21:20:49 »
As I'd been visiting family yesterday, I wan't going to let a few showers put me off getting a few hours in today!

Planted about a dozen or so broad bean seedlings i'd started in pots  in order to plug the holes in my rows of those that didn't germinate or hadn't survived - and weeded the rest of the bed.  Planted a couple of short rows of black salsify (an experiment this year) and a few more lettuce.

Got in the last of my spuds (four Shetland Black which I'd bought - again as an experiment -  but forgotten about (chitted properly unlike my others this year).

Continued my annual battle with horsetail (bindweed gets weaker every year, couch increasingly under control - except on the raspberry patch) but this is still a pain).

Started my courgettes in off pots.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2332 on: May 04, 2009, 21:23:25 »
Potted up tomatoes in the greenhouse while it was raining, then went down to plot this afternoon. The soil was just right for digging after the rain so had a good bindweed and buttercup session. Planted out onions and beetroot,plus one more globe artichoke as two had been badly chewed. Picked asparagus and rhubarb and did a thorough strim. Sowed some annual flowers to attract the bees. Just out of the bath but still aching!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2333 on: May 04, 2009, 21:35:42 »
don't worry, hector..hope your car's okay  ;D

£80 has made it all better :)  She's old but I think after my digging today that her bodywork is holding out better than mine  ;D
Jackie

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2334 on: May 04, 2009, 22:25:34 »
put all the peas and beans out now that OH has built a stunning wooden frame for them,had top visit from dad,lovely few hours spent chatting in the shed.ate lunch with him then weeded a bit,sat in the greenhouse admiring,prayed over the courgettes that i was too impatient to keep in pots and  planted out too early.had spare peas/mangetout and broad beans so found foster parents for them.put one pea next to our strongest sunflower as an experiment,to see if they will grow together.came home when it got too cold,despite all my layers bbbrrrr,hope that wasnt our summer over the weekend!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #2335 on: May 04, 2009, 22:40:53 »
Mesanbrium (can't spell them).....
from Hector... Livingstone daisies... much easier...  ;D Glad the car's better...

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2336 on: May 04, 2009, 23:26:04 »
Found a bottle of nicely chilled Pinot Grigio outside my allotment shed, left by an allotment neighbour Angelo as (unexpected) thanks for giving him some tomato plants. Drank some, then planted out some parsnips grown in modules and did some weeding and hoeing. Harvested some lettuce. Noticed Oca coming through.
Keep Calm and Carry On

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2337 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:57 »
Livingstone daisies... much easier...  ;D 
are livingstone daisies also known as ice plants?
doing nothing at the plot today, transplanting my squash at home with my leg up, should be fun   ;D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #2338 on: May 05, 2009, 09:50:04 »
Don't think so, but they do have a "succulent" leaf...  :-\

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #2339 on: May 05, 2009, 10:20:47 »
they do have sparkley leaf, sot of icey :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal