Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 876960 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2180 on: April 13, 2009, 17:37:16 »
planted cucumbers in the poly with glass cloches over, watered everywhere, transplanted agastache and pansies, moved more trays of plants to the communal polytunnel, transplanted lots of sunflowers into root trainers, day off tomorrow  ::) ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2181 on: April 13, 2009, 18:09:25 »
Emptied the fishpond (1 goldfish, 1 frog, about 100 newts and several pond snails), cleared out the silt and refilled................very smelly job  :(

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2182 on: April 13, 2009, 18:12:20 »
Planted out some penstemons grown from cuttings - they root very easily. Hoed loads of weeds that have sprung up following the rain and managed to damage a hosta. Sowed a few half hardy annuals.  Then drove daughter over to Cambridge - grass and borders in the colleges, tulips and wood anemones, cherry trees and the last of the daffodils in the parks and by the "Backs" looking fantastic. Now off to the lottie to do some emergency watering and slug control.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 18:26:05 by hopalong »
Keep Calm and Carry On

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2183 on: April 13, 2009, 18:20:37 »
Once again hoped to get the rest of the spuds in but ended up doing more digging, mainly getting bramble roots out ,and then creeping buttercup. >:( Maybe I'll get those spuds in tomorrow.

On the plus side, actually persuaded OH to come with me as it was such a lovely day, and he did a lot of strimming and had a bonfire as well as helping with the digging. Think it'll be a while before he comes again, though. ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2184 on: April 13, 2009, 21:15:08 »
sowed parsnip seed,planted out a couple each of red cab,courgette and pumpkin,i know i know,bit too early but im sooooo impatient/excited,have covered them all. pegged fleece over the carrots,planted some teasal,more sweetpeas and something else i cant remember in the greenie. did a fair bit of chatting,as OH is away,always do more chatting (ie shirking)when he is away. had about 5 cups of tea,enjoyed the sunshine,gave some seeds away,fab day!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2185 on: April 13, 2009, 22:13:50 »
potted up all my squash, pumpkin and courgettes plants and moved the lot out of the conservatory and into the greenhouse all the tomatoes were also moved to the greenhouse, the last melon plant was also potted up into its final large pot but it will remain in the conservatory for now will move them to the greenhouse the later part of May.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2186 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:38 »
Sowed artichokes, planted calabrese and romanesco( a bit more room in the coldframe) Tone planted another row of potatoes and some phacelia just for the seed. Weeded out the broad beans.Admired my spuds for the challenge(earthed up twice now). I bet Kev will come back to some weeds EH! ;D ;D ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2187 on: April 14, 2009, 18:35:54 »
Went to see Mom this morning and did the garden at home this afternoon. One of the branches on our yucca had fallen over so being as we have a green waste disposal this week we spent the afternoon cutting it and bagging it up. I took all of the nasty spikes off the ends and put them into a separate tin to put in the household rubbish so the dear little binmen don't get spiked. I just hope they realize the trouble some of us go to trying to make their life easier.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2188 on: April 14, 2009, 21:29:45 »
sowed courgettes, planted cukes and toms in the greenhouse,cut the grass, did a bit of spraying,/ shadesx
grow your own way

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2189 on: April 14, 2009, 21:33:07 »
Sowed artichokes, planted calabrese and romanesco( a bit more room in the coldframe) Tone planted another row of potatoes and some phacelia just for the seed. Weeded out the broad beans.Admired my spuds for the challenge(earthed up twice now). I bet Kev will come back to some weeds EH! ;D ;D ;D
shirl did you sow the romanescau direct?first time growing some this year,hubbie bought some seeds in france?
rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2190 on: April 14, 2009, 21:36:16 »
With OH planted some more potatoes... picked broccoli...  :)

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #2191 on: April 14, 2009, 21:49:27 »
Finally got spuds bed finished and planted -!! Woohoo - Rocket, Pent Jav, Charlotte and PFA - 54 in all.

Sowed Beetroot, spring onions, radish

Its starting to look like a proper plot now - long way to go still tho  ;D

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2192 on: April 14, 2009, 21:53:20 »
Weeded carrot,parsnip,onion,shallot and broad bean beds- all planted/sown in late February under fleece. Pricked out the last of the toms and peppers and the teasels I,m growing for the Goldfinches.Watered the rest of the toms,peppers,squashes,brassicas and annuals in both greenhouses.Sowed the second batch of broad beans and the Reed Mace I,m growing for my reed bed(to treat our sewage and grey water effluent) most of this lot was sown in late February in the propagators in the porch and moved to the greenhouses mid March.Also went to work and to a Hospital appt.
If I can learn to do it I,ll post some pics this week!!
Marshalls onion set order(heat treated) should be here for the weekend,400 to go to the lottie along with 200 shallot sets and this years PSB,cabbage and dwarf beans. Everything already planted is in deep/raised beds at home.
Nearly forgot,also sowed some Geraniums for home!

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2193 on: April 14, 2009, 22:05:14 »
sowed some amaranth seeds, planted out some buckler leaf sorrel and chamomile into the herb bed, spent way to long watching tadpoles, dug out last bean trench for filling, could have done lots more but felt a bit lazy ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2194 on: April 15, 2009, 10:48:02 »
Finally got the rest of the spuds planted yesterday- definitely getting better at making the rows look neater too!
Sowed first pre-chitted squash and pumpkins inside.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2195 on: April 15, 2009, 15:18:09 »
planted out fielderkraut cabbage, fillbasket sprout and creamy romanesco..sowed winter veggies and barlotti beans.
spent some time with our friends from the disability living group, we earthed up the spuds, put the bean poles up, put supports in for the tomatoes and cucumbers in the poly and put the net over the strawberry bed  ;D
oh, and of course, weeded

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2196 on: April 16, 2009, 01:44:45 »
sowed my cucs, red orache, pricked out some ornamental alliums, and dug out and sifted the soil where my salsify will be going.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #2197 on: April 16, 2009, 07:52:10 »
2 30ft rows parsnips hollow crown in,

2 30ft rows carrots columbia f1s in ,

1 30ft row spring onions white lisbon in

1 50ft row maincrop (desiree) in,(a freebie from robinofthehood)THANKS

100 broccli plants parthanon f1s in

50 savoys serve f1s in

30 caulis clapton f1s in

and 40 caulis snow crown in.

Not bad for a wednesday ??? ??? ???

sorry and 1 50ft row of peas kelevdon wonder.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:56:29 by gardentg44 »
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2198 on: April 16, 2009, 15:43:09 »
Got back from my hols and no weeds to report so you can stop sniggering now Shirl,  :P  earthed some spuds with compost from the council pile and harvested some cabbage and a large leek, and rained today so bugger all.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2199 on: April 16, 2009, 20:36:38 »
Fed up with the rain so I went to plot anyway. Admired spuds coming through, garlic fattening nicely,winter lettuce nearly ready etc. etc. Raked a bit as the soil was moist and sowed 2 rows of carrots. Harvested even more psb and rhubarb and ran out of time ::).
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal