Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873386 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2060 on: March 27, 2009, 12:41:20 »
planted two rows of carrots four row of onions and was attacked by hailstone :)
They attacked me too. :o

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2061 on: March 27, 2009, 13:08:11 »
Snap, I've just been hailed off!!  ::)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #2062 on: March 27, 2009, 18:34:50 »
Twiddling my thumbs until I can get something else in up at the lottie so filled in gaps in the garden with peacock orchids, gypsophylla and dwarf allium. Tomorrow it's some dahlias, astilbe and bleeding hearts  :)

Linda
  What do peacock orchids look like?  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2063 on: March 27, 2009, 19:13:31 »
planted some more spuds in containers, sowed some carrot seeds under a cloche, applied ash to my overwintered garlic, covered one of the bean trenches and dug another, lastly cleaned up and re-potted two overwintered scotch bonnet plants. everything i planned to do got done along with the washing, school runs and after school activities, woo hoo result!! ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2064 on: March 27, 2009, 19:20:53 »
Went to the lottie and managed to prepare another raised bed. :)

The wind was freezing,just kept digging to keep warm. ;D

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2065 on: March 27, 2009, 20:38:34 »
Spent an hour or so this morning continuing to restore the garden of an elderly and very charming Indian lady. I've been working on it for an hour or two each week since the autumn.  The sedge and brambles are now almost cleared, revealing some lovely shrubs, including some rose bushes, and a few border plants, including some peonies. The cherry and forsythia blossom looks great. It was clearly a very well designed and maintained garden a few years ago. She has a mixture of buddha statues, garden gnomes and stone animals all over the place.

In the afternoon worked on the allotment of a friend who has recently come out of hospital and is anxious to get his potatoes and onions planted.  Interesting to see another allotment site.  Much smaller than ours, with some very neat and well maintained plots, lovely trees and loads of bird life. Rhubarb is growing very strongly and some of it is ready to pick.
Keep Calm and Carry On

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2066 on: March 28, 2009, 14:22:00 »
Went up the lottie to plant my onion sets and decided they were best left in the bag until it warms up a bit.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2067 on: March 28, 2009, 16:50:42 »
Another 5 hours of allotment secretary site visits, 'arranging' for 2 committee members to actually speak to each other, and to realise they are both singing from the same songsheet!! ;) ;D ;D
people handling skills, eh? ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2068 on: March 29, 2009, 13:05:02 »
planted the last of the red onion sets (another 150), so we got 300 sets, and 45 shallots in! (plus another 80 growing from seed)
prepared another No-dig bed 25ft X 4ft. picked a load of WSB and PSB and a couple of parsnips for dinner!! ;) all done and dusted by 11.30 !! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2069 on: March 29, 2009, 18:07:26 »
Planted one row of Kestrels and harvested a cabbage and some PSB.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2070 on: March 29, 2009, 18:52:25 »
Started digging up this years crop of mares/horsetail.  Might leave it a bit longer as it keeps snapping off, when it is a bit taller can get it out in one go.  Lovely sunny day.  The redcurrant bushes seem to be looking good and the fruit trees have buds on, hope the frost didn't harm them. Joe Swift was up there working away, and there was some filming going on of the new people on their allotments, I wasn't filmed which is good as I looked dreadful in my old coat and woolly hat.   Apparently Joe has written a book, so Ken told me as he is in it about allotments but it costs £17, might have a quick free read.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2071 on: March 29, 2009, 19:37:46 »
potted up some house plants an greek basil plants, sowed with the kids some morning glory.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2072 on: March 29, 2009, 22:19:23 »
I hope he put some substance in the book; too many of them just repeat the same old stuff!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2073 on: March 29, 2009, 22:42:18 »
Didn't manage to get down to the lottie till 6 p.m. Still a lot of people there, even at that time. Harvested some spinach and parsley; did some weeding, hoeing and raking; watered seedlings in cold frame (tomatoes, broccoli, marigolds, leeks, parsnips, broccoli, sprouts). No time to plant the rest of my red and white onion sets or my second early potatoes - later this week perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 22:49:51 by hopalong »
Keep Calm and Carry On

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2074 on: March 29, 2009, 23:20:13 »
Knackered after a day trip to London yesterday, so stayed at home and potted up some strawberries that arrived from France this week, and several dahlias. Down the plot to tackle some potatoes tomorrow I think..... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2075 on: March 30, 2009, 12:43:02 »
Beautiful morning down the lotty, erected my netted frame work to house my Sweetcorn and brassicas, planted more broad beans and four more rows of onions, :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2076 on: March 30, 2009, 16:18:47 »
Finally finished planting the 400 cell sown onion sets... kept half a dozen back just incase some critter damages some...  :)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2077 on: March 30, 2009, 16:26:57 »
finished winter digging
i don't belive death is the end

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2078 on: March 30, 2009, 16:33:50 »
Planted my first early spuds- approx. 30 each of Rocket and Arran Pilot. All planted in an ex-bramble patch so will see whether brambles or spuds win!Spread some hops between my rows of garlic and pulled some couch out from round my asparagus.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #2079 on: March 30, 2009, 17:14:45 »
Spent most of the day on the plot avoiding the washing and ironing - well it is my day off!!

Dug out another huge load of couch and put in some raspberry canes someone gave me - so I have now oficially planted on my plot - Yippee!!!  ;D :D ;D :D
Make mine a large one!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal